The Student Room Group

Postgraduate open days?

Hey! I'm looking at various MA courses at various unis at the moment, but a lot of them don't seem to offer open days for postgrads. Is it worth just attending the undergraduate open days to get a feel of the uni, or should I look at stuff like personalised campus tours? :s-smilie: They're all a fair ways away, so I'm worried about going all the way up there for something that's not going to help me make my decision...

Thanks, guys!
Original post by octo
Hey! I'm looking at various MA courses at various unis at the moment, but a lot of them don't seem to offer open days for postgrads. Is it worth just attending the undergraduate open days to get a feel of the uni, or should I look at stuff like personalised campus tours? :s-smilie: They're all a fair ways away, so I'm worried about going all the way up there for something that's not going to help me make my decision...

Thanks, guys!

Hi there @octo

At Kingston University for example, we host Open Evenings or Postgraduate Evenings. These are specifically tailored to our postgraduate course and provide the atmosphere of one where you can sit and have a chat with the lecturer in charge of that postgraduate course. We also have campus tours on that day, but if you wanted a scheduled one, this can also be arranged.

These events are scheduled in the evening as we appreciate many persons have work during the day and having it in the evening works best for most!

Our next Open Evening is slated for November, and if you are interested in Kingston University, you can visit this link to sign up: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/postgraduate/open-evenings/open-evening-booking/

- KU rep and final year law student
I went to an undergraduate open day as the uni I was looking at don’t do postgrad open days and I still got a feel of the uni.
Original post by octo

Thanks, guys!

I think undergraduate open days are the way to go. I went to a few postgraduate open days when I was thinking of applying, and a lot of them were pretty useless. It was evident that they didn't expect a big turnout so didn't make many buildings available to tour, didn't have any subject-specific tutors to speak to, and all the ambassadors helping out were undergrads who had no idea about the postgrad courses. Undergraduate open days usually ensure that much more is open to see and staff are available to discuss the course.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I think undergraduate open days are the way to go. I went to a few postgraduate open days when I was thinking of applying, and a lot of them were pretty useless. It was evident that they didn't expect a big turnout so didn't make many buildings available to tour, didn't have any subject-specific tutors to speak to, and all the ambassadors helping out were undergrads who had no idea about the postgrad courses. Undergraduate open days usually ensure that much more is open to see and staff are available to discuss the course.

Hello PhoenixFortune,

At Aberdeen we have a postgraduate open day on the 7th November. There will be a tour of the facilities on this date and lecturers and students will be available to talk to. You make an interesting point about visiting universities at undergraduate open days. Most universities have options for you to visit at a time that suits you and they do give a full tour in many cases. It is always worth asking before you make the trip to an open day to find out if you can speak to postgraduates and their lecturers, and a time that suits you. Further options could be chatting online to students or lecturers at Virtual Open Days or using the 'Chat Live' functions to find out what is possible. I hope this helps you.

Good luck!
Original post by University of Aberdeen
Hello PhoenixFortune,

At Aberdeen we have a postgraduate open day on the 7th November. There will be a tour of the facilities on this date and lecturers and students will be available to talk to. You make an interesting point about visiting universities at undergraduate open days. Most universities have options for you to visit at a time that suits you and they do give a full tour in many cases. It is always worth asking before you make the trip to an open day to find out if you can speak to postgraduates and their lecturers, and a time that suits you. Further options could be chatting online to students or lecturers at Virtual Open Days or using the 'Chat Live' functions to find out what is possible. I hope this helps you.

Good luck!

I'm not the OP. I've already completed my MA, so I don't need any advice in this situation. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending