PYA5 - How did it go? Watch

monica7790
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yay our predictions were right! well done to everyone who managed to successfully omit stuff from their revision!

I nearly messed up the Q on depresion cos i thought it said biological explanations. but i managed to add the life events explanation with genetics and biochemical. hopefully i did alriteish on that.

Messed up the cultural bias Q because it was only supposed to be about research. so i only knew the thing about the example to do with in 1960s they thought depression didnt exist in black african because it didnt manifest in the same way. but i managed to write some smith and bond stuff, hope fully thats right? and then i just through kohlberg and mohaggam (social relationships theories) into the equation cos i thought i might get some marks for it.

did Q9 for approaches. made some stuff up. dont know if i did it well. i got at least a U in that paper though so at least i have a B at alevel, shames it not an A

hope u all did better than me! x
hcblingbling
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah i think it went well. i liked 8 could say alot about behavioural approach!
Rhymenocerous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did 8 but didn't revise approaches properly.. that didn't go so well :/
ForAllOfThis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did 8 also.

Process of elimination.

Our teacher only told us to learn psychodynamic and behaviourist. However psychodynamic would be too hard to explain with superstition, so I ommited it =).

Especially as 9 would need a link to skinners research into superstition (anyone who watched Darren Browns last trick or treat will know what im talking about!).

I'm glad biological therapies and SSR came up. I was praying for them!

Hopefully I got a solid B possibly an A.

=).

(only 50 or so marks required to get an A in that paper, which converts to 96 UMS)
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think mine went really well, everything that I hoped came up.

The only bad thing is I had a massive nosebleed during the exam and my arms were covered in blood. I got some of it on the exam paper too and had to cross out what I had written and write it again. I kinda run out of time near the end because I was too busy mopping up blood.
-Ian-
Report 11 years ago
I was disappointed that i didn't get to write my psychodynamic essay but my biological was pretty good (just think i overdid ao1)
and i was glad culture bias came up, on the front of the paper it said 'research' means theories and studies, right?
I did 8, i think my psychodynamic explantion for being sociable was a bit weak... and i was running short of time (but just coz i'm slow no nosebleeds lol)

i'd be disappointed with less than a B for that paper, and overjoyed with an A : D
flymeaway
Report 11 years ago
[QUOTE=ForAllOfThis]
Especially as 9 would need a link to skinners research into superstition (anyone who watched Darren Browns last trick or treat will know what im talking about!).

QUOTE]

I know !!! how lucky was that! i did behaviourist and cognitive - external locus of control... hope that works!
neverknowingwhy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by monica7790)

I nearly messed up the Q on depresion cos i thought it said biological explanations. but i managed to add the life events explanation with genetics and biochemical. hopefully i did alriteish on that.
what??? we had to talk about life events?

uhoh...
how does that fit with the quote??

eeks i screwed up that whole exam
Hispanic-Impressions
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Aah it was good. Although I was hoping for Psychodynamic for Q3 rather than biological, but had revised it luckily.

Also did the question on Reductionism (which I taught myself from scratch yesterday :rolleyes), probably talked rubbish, same with Approaches, but it was easyyyy .
chloedp
Report 11 years ago
i totally messed up my bio'l essay!did SSR but not sure i did that well enuf and approaches was ok!wel i wil know how it actually went on the 14th of aug lol!
life is beautiful
Report 11 years ago
:eek: hey, we all predicted exacltly well done everyone

i did biological it was quite well better than i actually thought

SSR wow so excited did very well

Q9 ; Fingers crossed i think i have done ok only not sure

well, Happy as i could get a high B or may be an A
anyway i only need a :rolleyes: C in this PYA5 to get an overall A
laced
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depression was alright, as was appraoches.

Debates was awful, mianly because my teacher did not have a clue. Never mind. I only need 35 marks for an A, so I'm thinking I should have got that

Did anyone else just write about biological causes of depression? I did, but I think I wrote enough for it to get good marks... *crosses fingers*
Faint_x
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Went alrite
I thought schizophrenia would come up so I revised more for that but depression came up!! Was okay though!

Glad free will came up as I predicted! But didnt really have much to write!

For approaches I did question 8 and it was good Hands got very tired by the end though
monica7790
Rep:
?
(Original post by neverknowingwhy)
what??? we had to talk about life events?

uhoh...
how does that fit with the quote??

eeks i screwed up that whole exam
no u didnt! i only wrote about life events cos brown n harris' study was on women in london so i spoke about the gender and culture part of teh quote.
bethanykate
Report 11 years ago
i picked Q9 and did psychoanalysis, which was fun to try and think so things to say haha.
depression was gooooood but i keep thinking of things i didnt mention.
cultural bias was what i expected so was happy
but did expect schizophrenia and i knew that one a bit better, but oh well, was a good exam!
freetofly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am proud I managed to write about 'My Super Sweet 16' in approaches. That's skill right there.

So happy its over. Hopefully I have gotten an A overall!
monica7790
Rep:
?
Can some explain to me by cultural bias in RESEARCH. does that include studies and theories. because i have people telling it does and people telling me it doesnt. im confused. thanks
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mine was quite good, really.

First section: I did the depression question and wrote a fair bit of genetic, some neurochemical, then had a long overall evaluation about the general lackings of biological explanations (don't treat the cause, environmental factors bla bla bla), and finished off with the diathesis-stress as an alternative. Also, I was amazed that, for the first time ever, I wrote more than the necessary three pages (about 3 + 2/3) with time to spare!

Second section: We weren't taught cultural bias, so I did SSR. I didn't like the first bit, I misinterpreted it as being about Milgram and Zimbardo, so I wrote about them, but realised that this wasn't the right thing to do, so I basically talked about how both of them were socially sensitive. Probably got 2/3rds of the marks, because there wasn't that much to say about social issues for Zimbardo, just the implication that prison guards were evil. But the second part of the question was great, I wrote loads and had a fairly good conclusion.

Third section: I did question 8, and chose behavioural (Social Learning Theory) and biological (fight or flight, adrenaline rush etc. etc.). My study was fairly plausible; is it possible to play Twister or football while hooked up to an EEG machine?

Overall I'm pretty pleased.
bethanykate
Report 11 years ago
research is 'theories and or studies'
i think thats what it says on the front of the exam anyway lol
laced
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, research means studies and/or theories
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads