York, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham for Maths?

Watch
jhutch743
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Got the grades for all in clearing just asking which ones is best really?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jhutch743)
Which one do you prefer?

When you start ringing them up, do ask about accommodation and anything else they can offer you as this may help you decide?
chloedru
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think anyone can really tell you which is best since it's such a personal decision!

That being said I studied maths at Birmingham and it absolutely was the best for me.

If I were you I'd also look at module information for the courses, and what support they give you (I.e tutorials or small group sessions) to help you decide.

If you have any questions about my experience at Birmingham, I'm happy to help as well.
niamhdoesmaths
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a Newcastle maths student going into second year and so far I've had a really great time No one can really say which is "best" as that is unique to every student, but if you have any questions about the course or the uni I'm happy to answer them
jhutch743
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Which one do you prefer?

When you start ringing them up, do ask about accommodation and anything else they can offer you as this may help you decide?
Only ever visited York and Leeds. The others weren't on my radar before but got my attention. Leeds accommodation was expensive but nice York's was cheaper. That's a good point actually I would like one that can guarantee accommodation.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only ever visited York and Leeds. The others weren't on my radar before but got my attention. Leeds accommodation was expensive but nice York's was cheaper. That's a good point actually I would like one that can guarantee accommodation.
I'd suggest ringing York first then

Do you have your grades yet?
jhutch743
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloedru)
I don't think anyone can really tell you which is best since it's such a personal decision!

That being said I studied maths at Birmingham and it absolutely was the best for me.

If I were you I'd also look at module information for the courses, and what support they give you (I.e tutorials or small group sessions) to help you decide.

If you have any questions about my experience at Birmingham, I'm happy to help as well.
How's the city? Is the main thing really I've only ever been a few times but I'm looking to live in a major city like Birmingham.
chloedru
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I love the city. It depends what your looking for but it pretty much has everything you need, decent nightlife, good shopping and restaurants etc.

The University itself is only about 15 minutes from the city centre and the public transport is really good.

The thing I've always loved is that theres always something going on, the city feels busy but I've never felt overwhelmed if you get what I mean?

Your also in easy reach of anywhere else in the country which is always a good thing.
jhutch743
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I'd suggest ringing York first then

Do you have your grades yet?
Yes I've got the grades for the course.
jhutch743
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloedru)
I love the city. It depends what your looking for but it pretty much has everything you need, decent nightlife, good shopping and restaurants etc.

The University itself is only about 15 minutes from the city centre and the public transport is really good.

The thing I've always loved is that theres always something going on, the city feels busy but I've never felt overwhelmed if you get what I mean?

Your also in easy reach of anywhere else in the country which is always a good thing.
That sounds great to be fair. Lived in small villages for my entire life so I really wanted to get into a huge city.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes I've got the grades for the course.
Cool, then I'd suggest getting on the phone to them. Clearing vacancies are often given out on a roughly first come/first serve basis.

Or do you already have offers from the unis?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you want a really big city try Birmingham. Second biggest city in the UK although the campus is approx. 2 miles from the city centre. Whichever you go will have more life than you have now.
WarwickMaths281
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
York and Birmingham are better for maths, but are by no means top tier.
jhutch743
Rep:
?
(Original post by WarwickMaths281)
York and Birmingham are better for maths, but are by no means top tier.
Well I didn’t need that but thanks I guess.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I didn’t need that but thanks I guess.
Birmingham is ranked 14th by CUG for Maths so is perfectly acceptable. It may not be the likes of Oxbridge or Durham but it is still an excellent choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (500)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (619)
41.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (303)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.56%

Watched Threads