The Student Room Group

Got into my firm, different course. Wtf.

So I got into my firm uni which is the university of southampton.

I thought it was all good but then realised it was for civil engineering and NOT aeronautics/astronautics.

Oh yeah, my insurance choice was harder grades to get at a better uni (UCL) and now I feel completely destroyed.

"The uni has offered you a place with significant changes"

It says in the letter that its subject to AA in maths and physics and B in geography, and I could have sworn it was the same for aeronautics..

Please help! What do I do? Should I go to school to get my grades? I ticked that I wanted them sent to my house, do i have to go get them myself now? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by I ASK QUESTIONS

I thought it was all good but then realised it was for civil engineering and NOT aeronautics/astronautics.

Oh yeah, my insurance choice was harder grades to get at a better uni (UCL) and now I feel completely destroyed.

It says in the letter that its subject to AA in maths and physics and B in geography, and I could have sworn it was the same for aeronautics..

Please help! What do I do? Should I go to school to get my grades? I ticked that I wanted them sent to my house, do i have to go get them myself now? Thanks.

Get your results then phone up the uni and talk to them about the courses :smile:

@She-Ra

Are you interested in the course?

If not, then it's probably best to start thinking about clearing options. In this situation it would be good to have your grades ASAP, so going into school might be the best option. Your teachers will also be able to support you.

I'm sorry you're in this situation- once you have your grades it'll be easier to know what options are open, so do please feel free to quote/PM me once you have your grades!
I'm scared to go get my results now.
I would go to get your results so you know what they are and then call up your firm and insurance just to see if there's any way they'll let you in on the original course. If not you might have to look at clearing courses you could apply to instead if you don't want to do the other course.

It could be that your results are only slightly below what you were predicted if they're offering another course so don't panic too much- good luck!!

Hello

You need to either ring or visit your school in person to get your grades and then contact those universities directly.

After that if you still have your heart set on studying Aeronautics/Astronautics please consider our Aerospace Engineering degree (https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/engineering/aerospace-engineering/beng-aerospace-engineering-h400/) - you can make an application here https://intranet.swan.ac.uk/Clearing/Applicant/Login.

Good luck!

Tamsyn
Original post by SarcAndSpark
@She-Ra

Are you interested in the course?

If not, then it's probably best to start thinking about clearing options. In this situation it would be good to have your grades ASAP, so going into school might be the best option. Your teachers will also be able to support you.

I'm sorry you're in this situation- once you have your grades it'll be easier to know what options are open, so do please feel free to quote/PM me once you have your grades!

So I got my results:
Maths: A
Geography: B
Physics: C
Further maths AS: B

I was 2 marks off of an A in further maths and narrowly missed a B in physics.

They said that my grades weren't good enough + oversubscribed so they put me into civil.

I checked Southampton's clearing page and they have clearing for both aero and mechanical. Aero A*AA jesus christ and mechanical ABB. So I think aero, for the time being is on hold. I just need to find a way into mechanical right now. I called the clearing line for southampton and they took down the details and I emphasized that I was close to the B in physics.

They said it "should be good" and they'll get back to me by tonight. My dad said either way civil engineering is pretty good too so go there and tell them face to face if you can switch to the other course but if not possible, stay in civil.

Anyways a lot is going through my mind right now, including if I can send my geography/physics for a remark. What is the process, what does it cost and do you think it's worth it?
So I got my results:

They said that my grades weren't good enough + oversubscribed so they put me into civil.

I checked Southampton's clearing page and they have clearing for both aero and mechanical. Aero A*AA jesus christ and mechanical ABB. So I think aero, for the time being is on hold. I just need to find a way into mechanical right now. I called the clearing line for southampton and they took down the details and I emphasized that I was close to the B in physics.

They said it "should be good" and they'll get back to me by tonight. My dad said either way civil engineering is pretty good too so go there and tell them face to face if you can switch to the other course but if not possible, stay in civil.

Anyways a lot is going through my mind right now, including if I can send my geography/physics for a remark. What is the process, what does it cost and do you think it's worth it?

Remarks can go up but also down but you high marks I don’t think you would go down a grade. I think it’s about £50 per paper to remark.
So I got my results:

I definitely think it's worth getting a remark. You'll need to speak to your exams officer at school- they can let you know the costs as these do vary from exam board to exam board. In some circumstances, your school may pay.

You need to get a "priority remark" so that you get your new grades back before 31st August. You should then ring the uni back and let them know you're getting remarks. The uni should then hold your ORIGINAL offer until you know your final grades.

Have you looked around to see what else is available in clearing? If there's a course you'd prefer to Civil Engineering, it might be worth ringing the uni for a chat.

I hope this helps!

Congrats on your results anyway, and I hope you can get something sorted!
So I got my results:

If you confirm Southampton, it doesn't mean that in the future they'll allow you to transfer courses :frown:

Have you spoken to your teachers about an exam review/ remark? It needs to be a priority review and you would need to let Southampton know asap that this is the plan.
I really don't get what's going on with southampton. Like I've said in my last post, the clearing person said I probably meet the offer for mechanical. A few hours later I get an email saying I'm not successful. I'm probably going to go to my exams officer tomorrow and asking her exactly by how much I missed each grade boundary and ask her if getting it remarked is a possibility.

I've heard stories of people who pester admin at uni and after like 2 weeks they get put into the course they wanted. Due to civil being somewhat similar to mechanical do you think there's a chance of getting it swapped at some point?
Reply 11

Hi, if you really don't want to do civil engineering then maybe look around at other uni's which could be able to offer you a place on aeronautics. Clearing will be open for the next couple of days but it'd be worthwhile looking sooner than later as tracking comes online at 3pm today (15/08/19).

If you still can't find any university's that offer the course that you want, it might be worth considering a different course entirely, or maybe something similar but with slightly lower entry requirements (which is likely what Southampton university was trying to do).

If you do decide to do a different course, make sure you look at what that course entails exactly. Course descriptions published on University websites could be a good way to see if a particular course appeals to you.
I really don't get what's going on with southampton. Like I've said in my last post, the clearing person said I probably meet the offer for mechanical. A few hours later I get an email saying I'm not successful. I'm probably going to go to my exams officer tomorrow and asking her exactly by how much I missed each grade boundary and ask her if getting it remarked is a possibility.

I've heard stories of people who pester admin at uni and after like 2 weeks they get put into the course they wanted. Due to civil being somewhat similar to mechanical do you think there's a chance of getting it swapped at some point?

Could you tell us what the email said exactly? :colondollar:

Never rely on being annoying to administrators and change courses. If you accept a course I'd recommend doing so with the intention of studying it.
Whatttt how can they do that?!
Original post by Ytterbium_
Whatttt how can they do that?!

It's reasonable if the course is similar enough. Common changes are to the same course but with a foundation year for students who might struggle with a first year entry. :smile: UCAS would like to know of any dodgy universities trying to switch people to completely different courses as that isn't really very good practice.
Original post by 04MR17
Could you tell us what the email said exactly? :colondollar:

Never rely on being annoying to administrators and change courses. If you accept a course I'd recommend doing so with the intention of studying it.

It was just a generic email saying they cant let me do mechanical through clearing.
Original post by 04MR17
It's reasonable if the course is similar enough. Common changes are to the same course but with a foundation year for students who might struggle with a first year entry. :smile: UCAS would like to know of any dodgy universities trying to switch people to completely different courses as that isn't really very good practice.

Don't really want to be doing a foundation year... arghhhh I'm so angry rn if I got a B instead of C in physics they would have let me do mechanical through clearing... sad.
Don't really want to be doing a foundation year... arghhhh I'm so angry rn if I got a B instead of C in physics they would have let me do mechanical through clearing... sad.

I was talking to the other user who was asking about how much this happens. :smile:
It was just a generic email saying they cant let me do mechanical through clearing.

If you have the grades for it and you really want to go there I'd ring them up and ask why this decision has been made, and that you'd really like to do this course.
Guys when I applied through clearing it said mechanical engineering required grades were ABB and now its changed to AAA. When I applied I told them I was really close to getting the B in physics and I might send physics for a remark but they declined it. Now what should I do?
Guys when I applied through clearing it said mechanical engineering required grades were ABB and now its changed to AAA. When I applied I told them I was really close to getting the B in physics and I might send physics for a remark but they declined it. Now what should I do?

When you applied to what? When you contacted your firm or a different uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending