4A*s but rejected from Oxford Medicine- Reapply? Watch

Glycerate
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I got 4A*s in Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Should I reapply to Cambridge or Oxford by taking a gap year? I already have a confirmed medicine offer elsewhere.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Glycerate)
I got 4A*s in Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Should I reapply to Cambridge or Oxford by taking a gap year? I already have a confirmed medicine offer elsewhere.
No guarantee you will get in next year. Just take the place you have and be grateful. Many would be medics on this site would kill for your situation
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
If really want to go to one of them, then maybe try clearing . I think you can still get a place through clearing and take a gap year if you wanted. But depending on the uni you got accepted into, it might not be that big of a deal. Especially if you’re studying medicine , great result, well done!
username4499894
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Definitely! Your grades are far above average. Were you rejected pre or post interview? If post, try to work on your interview skills because you're pretty much set on the academic side (and I'm sure you'll get amazing bmat scores too!)
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
a med degree is a med degree regardless of what uni you go too. congrats on the 4a*s they’re superb but don’t give up your confirmed offer! where is it for?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not worth dropping a hard-won medicine place just because "it's Oxford".
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Wow four a stars is utterly incredible! Amazing work!!
Glycerate
Rep:
?
(Original post by kali.fa)
Definitely! Your grades are far above average. Were you rejected pre or post interview? If post, try to work on your interview skills because you're pretty much set on the academic side (and I'm sure you'll get amazing bmat scores too!)
Post interview
Duane2501
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd start by asking for feedback on where you went wrong, then you can make an informed decision regarding your chances for next year. Personally though I'd say take the offer you have - where is it for?
RhynieChert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
definitely not, medicine is competitive even with grades in hand, there's no guarantee you would get an offer, and since it's such a long degree it also doesn't seem worth waiting another year to start it
Bogna Maria
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It really doesn’t matter at which uni you are as long as you work hard enough and make the best of it
Glycerate
Rep:
?
Can I apply for Cambridge Adjustment or is that only for previously applied applicants? Doones
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
i dont think you should go to oxford for medicine, its very old fashioned.
RhynieChert
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can I apply for Cambridge Adjustment or is that only for previously applied applicants? Doones
no you can't, it is only for applicants rejected from cambridge in january who meet widening participation criteria
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You need to have been interviewed and you need to meet the Widening Participation criteria. They would have contacted you if you were eligible.
DontJudgeImANerd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
honestly, any medicine degree is almost a guaranteed job, Oxbridge or not. not worth it just to be able to say you went to Oxbridge unless you've really got your heart set on it
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
As much as Oxford has its prestige, its not worth wasting a year over it. For Med n Dent, it doesnt matter with uni you go, they're all overseen by the GMC/GDC so it doesn't make a difference. Your call at the end of the day tho.

Gratz on the results!
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No - there's no advantage in a medicine degree from Oxbridge - it's a long training anyway and you are better going now.
Glycerate
Rep:
?
Can I defer my current offer and then reapply?
RhynieChert
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can I defer my current offer and then reapply?
no, you can't apply to Cambridge while holding an offer at another university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads