Help deciding whether or not to reapply Watch

DragonsOfAsshai
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello all, I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not I should reapply or not.

Grades:

Maths: A*
FM: A*
Physics: D2
Chemistry: A*
STEP 1: 1

At the moment I have a firm offer from UCL for Computer Science (MEng) and if I reapply, I would reapply for computer science and my main goal would be Cambridge. I know many people will say that applying just for Cambridge isn't worth it but I would prefer going there much more than UCL as UCL has quite a low student satisfaction and the Cambridge CompSci department is much better. That said I also don't know if I want to take the risk considering how competitive the course is and I don't have anything line up to do if I were to take a gap year. When I applied to Cambridge this admissions cycle, the feedback was that it was mainly the interview that held me back.

Thanks for any help.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by DragonsOfAsshai)
Hello all, I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not I should reapply or not.

Grades:

Maths: A*
FM: A*
Physics: D2
Chemistry: A*
STEP 1: 1

At the moment I have a firm offer from UCL for Computer Science (MEng) and if I reapply, I would reapply for computer science and my main goal would be Cambridge. I know many people will say that applying just for Cambridge isn't worth it but I would prefer going there much more than UCL as UCL has quite a low student satisfaction and the Cambridge CompSci department is much better. That said I also don't know if I want to take the risk considering how competitive the course is and I don't have anything line up to do if I were to take a gap year. When I applied to Cambridge this admissions cycle, the feedback was that it was mainly the interview that held me back.

Thanks for any help.
Your grades are really good! Congrats!

You don't need to make the decision about reapplying today- why not talk over your options with your parents and teachers before you come to a firm decision?

Applying to Cambridge will always be a risk, but your grades would put you in a strong position and you could work on your interview.

There are lots of productive things you could do on a gap year, so if you do take one, I'm sure you'll find something worthwhile to do.
DragonsOfAsshai
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Your grades are really good! Congrats!

You don't need to make the decision about reapplying today- why not talk over your options with your parents and teachers before you come to a firm decision?

Applying to Cambridge will always be a risk, but your grades would put you in a strong position and you could work on your interview.

There are lots of productive things you could do on a gap year, so if you do take one, I'm sure you'll find something worthwhile to do.
Thanks for the advice
DragonsOfAsshai
Rep:
?
Still need help with this :/ I've thought about it a lot and talked to lots of people, Cambridge and ICL have harder courses than UCL but more rewarding and also more reputed by employers. The year out is a big commitment for me and I don't know if i'll be able to get any jobs to do during it. The student satisfaction for UCL CompSci is a little low as well and the teaching is probably not as good either but I'm not sure whether it is so bad that it is worth taking a year out.
Anon0601
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by DragonsOfAsshai)
Still need help with this :/ I've thought about it a lot and talked to lots of people, Cambridge and ICL have harder courses than UCL but more rewarding and also more reputed by employers. The year out is a big commitment for me and I don't know if i'll be able to get any jobs to do during it. The student satisfaction for UCL CompSci is a little low as well and the teaching is probably not as good either but I'm not sure whether it is so bad that it is worth taking a year out.
My question is would you spend your time at UCL thinking 'what if I had reapplied to Cambridge?' If so this is a heavy burden to carry with you and one that could have a negative impact on your enjoyment of UCL. You do also need to bear in mind that Cambridge success rates are pretty low so, even with your very good grades, you COULD end up being rejected a second time. Are you prepared for that outcome? Would that help get Cambridge out of your system? I appreciate that you are asking for advice but ultimately only you can answer the above points. I hope that in considering them it helps you nearer the right decision for YOU.
RhynieChert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
did you get specific feedback about exactly what it was about your interview that held you back? do you feel it was something you could improve on? you have excellent grades but you still need to do well at interview this time around to be made an offer. do you have constructive plans for the rest of your year out if you take one to reapply?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?