The Student Room Group

Help needed reapplying to Cambridge

Hello, TSR. I'm looking for help reapplying to Cambridge after I got better than expected results in my A levels (4 A stars). I am currently holding an offer for Mathematics from Warwick University and I want to accept that offer but still apply to Cambridge while in Warwick. Are there any colleges that accept reapplications from students in this circumstance? Or do I have to reject my offer to reapply to Cambridge? I haven't done STEP yet, I'd have to do it next year. Thanks for any replies.
Original post by Spookyayu
Hello, TSR. I'm looking for help reapplying to Cambridge after I got better than expected results in my A levels (4 A stars). I am currently holding an offer for Mathematics from Warwick University and I want to accept that offer but still apply to Cambridge while in Warwick. Are there any colleges that accept reapplications from students in this circumstance? Or do I have to reject my offer to reapply to Cambridge? I haven't done STEP yet, I'd have to do it next year. Thanks for any replies.

Edit- Ignore me- have since been informed that you can't reapply while holding a deferred offer, sorry for any confusion!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Labrador99
You could ask Warwick if you could defer your offer (which would mean you'd take a gap year), which would allow you to apply to Cambridge in the coming application cycle. Warwick might say no though, in which case you'd need to decide if you want to start the whole UCAS process again from scratch, or go to Warwick this year.

that's something I considered but if possible I wouldn't want to delay my university entry by one year, unless it was definitely for Cambridge/Oxford. I want to take the minimum risk approach so even if I mess up the interview I still have my studies going on in Warwick.
that's something I considered but if possible I wouldn't want to delay my university entry by one year, unless it was definitely for Cambridge/Oxford. I want to take the minimum risk approach so even if I mess up the interview I still have my studies going on in Warwick.

You could attend Warwick and just apply through UCAS normally if you want - maybe contact Cambridge/Oxford and see what they say
Cambridge do not accept applications from students at other UK universities.

Cambridge will not consider you unless you decline your offer, they do not accept students who have offers elsewhere
you can't apply to Cambridge while studying at another uni or while holding a deferred offer, you'd need to reject Warwick first. honestly I don't recommend it, Warwick is great and there's no guarantee you'd make the step grades if you did apply, lots of people who get very high a*s in maths and FM still don't manage step

omg im in the exact same situation, got into Warwick for law with A*s but want to reapply to oxbridge while in Warwick!! idk what to do either
Original post by Glycerate
Cambridge will not consider you unless you decline your offer, they do not accept students who have offers elsewhere

Original post by aesthete1
you can't apply to Cambridge while studying at another uni or while holding a deferred offer, you'd need to reject Warwick first. honestly I don't recommend it, Warwick is great and there's no guarantee you'd make the step grades if you did apply, lots of people who get very high a*s in maths and FM still don't manage step

what about oxford?
Original post by seelawperson
what about oxford?

technically you can apply to Oxford while at another uni but they'd want to know why you had started, why you would want to change, and you would need a reference from your current uni which might be hard to get at that point in the year
Original post by seelawperson
omg im in the exact same situation, got into Warwick for law with A*s but want to reapply to oxbridge while in Warwick!! idk what to do either

haha I'm another one, got 4A* and going to Warwick but for engineering. It looks like Warwick has a lot of Cambridge wannabes :smile:
Original post by charlotte187
haha I'm another one, got 4A* and going to Warwick but for engineering. It looks like Warwick has a lot of Cambridge wannabes :smile:

lol, will you be reapplying to cam?
I would like to but have given up on the idea. I think our priority should be to do our best in Warwick and find other opportunities after we’ve graduated. For me, I’m hoping to get a master degree from Imperial :’) What about you? Are you reapplying to Cam?
Original post by charlotte187
I would like to but have given up on the idea. I think our priority should be to do our best in Warwick and find other opportunities after we’ve graduated. For me, I’m hoping to get a master degree from Imperial :’) What about you? Are you reapplying to Cam?

yeah i think i will be reapplying.
Congratulations to you all for doing so well in your A-levels. I know this will be a tough decision, but at this point you will have to decide between taking up your place at your Firm university (and putting aside your Cambridge aspirations for now), and taking a gap year in order to reapply through UCAS for 2020 entry with Cambridge (and Warwick) among your choices. The deadline for that new application would be 15 October.
hey guy!! In my point of view, I think you can try to reapply for Cambridge if you think you can handle the step (which I think you definitely will)
I think there are not many things lost for reapplying except for one year, but you can still spend this year learning a lot of new things during this year. you know both in America and china most people spend 4 years in undergrads and typically in china spending extra 3 years for a master's degree. so it is acceptable to pay one year to try to get a higher platform.
haha, but what I want to repeat is that it is only from my personal point of view. I think you can also discuss it with your parents and ask for their opinions.
nice to meet you guy!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending