martin_larsen
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Currently,I’m planning to take 4 A-levels and an EPQ. I’ve been told by a few people that it’s too ambitious and the workload will be difficult. I was wondering what people who had done it had to say about it. At the moment, I’m planning to take English Literature, Geography, Music and Spanish (I’m a native speaker.)

The EPQ would be a research paper for sure on either music or geography - I have good topics prepared for either. Any opinions?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by martin_larsen)
Currently,I’m planning to take 4 A-levels and an EPQ. I’ve been told by a few people that it’s too ambitious and the workload will be difficult. I was wondering what people who had done it had to say about it. At the moment, I’m planning to take English Literature, Geography, Music and Spanish (I’m a native speaker.)

The EPQ would be a research paper for sure on either music or geography - I have good topics prepared for either. Any opinions?
That is quite a big workload, but also worth being aware that sometimes unis don't really count an A level in your native language...It's worth checking with admissions on this before you take on more exams than you need to!
siamsam
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
my daughter received her A level results today

she took A levels in History, Geography, English Lit and Philosophy & Ethics, she also completed an EPQ

The workload was really high and she had no real life for the last two years as there was so much private study to do to keep on top of the workload, by that I mean stopping at school until 6:30pm Mon - Thurs and spending 5 - 6 hrs on school work on both a Sat and Sun.
Although she received great grades (3 A's and a B) she believes that if she'd only taken 3 A levels she might have achieved 3 A*s - As a parent, I wouldn't recommend taking on such a high workload - you're only young once, enjoy your life, 3 A levels is more than enough to see you get on in life.
theeetimdoherty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by martin_larsen)

Ive just finished Y12 and I also do 4 A Levels and an EPQ. It is definitely difficult and I find it hard to keep up even when I'm doing 22.5h of private study a week (5h lessons for each A Level, 5 hours private study, a week). I do Maths, Further Maths, History and Economics, tho. The crossover between Maths and FM saves me a lot of time whereas your subjects don't seem to have much overlap.

Nearly everyone I know who does 4 A Levels does Further Maths, and most of them also do physics so they have three a levels that cross over.
The only person I know doing 4 A Levels w/o FM is my friend who's doing history, classical civ, chemistry and biology, but she got ten 9s and two 8s at GCSE.

if you're a bright student aiming for A* then you'll find the fourth A Level will get in your way quite a bit. For me, history takes up so much time because it's so content heavy and has coursework. I believe English and Spanish have coursework as well This isn't too bad but it just means that you'll be cramming everything into the Summer alongside an EPQ, which is quite stressful.

EPQs are very easy to get an A* in if you note all your work and stick to the mark scheme. Ive met a lot of people who got near full marks. They've very beneficial as well. If you do drop something then drop a fourth a level and do 3 with an EPQ.

Btw I was also told that I was being "too ambitious" when I chose to do 4 A Levels (w/o even mentioning the EPQ). The people who told me that were all miserable. If you do 4 A Levels and work hard at it constantly, from the start of Y12, you can succeed. Your education will become a huge part of your life and you should use all your frees in-between lessons to study. Unless you're naturally very, very bright. If I didn't take history Id have so much more time to succeed in the other subjects and as well to just relax. History also means I have less time to research economics which is what I'm gonna do at uni. I'm not dropping it tho because I love it but that's what 4 A Levels does. There have been so many times when I've been up at 10/11pm studying or reading for my A Levels and it's such a pain.

I just woke up so apologies for the wordiness/messiness of my writing. Hope it helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?