The Student Room Group

Casual or contract worker advice ASAP!!!

Hi

I’ve just gotten a job and I need to decide on hours. My options are to be a contract worker or a casual worker. Which one is better?

I want to have work but I’m starting college in September and therefore don’t know how things will change with timings yet - but I want to always have the opportunity to work!

Any advice would be helpful!
Original post by Kateb11
Hi

I’ve just gotten a job and I need to decide on hours. My options are to be a contract worker or a casual worker. Which one is better?

I want to have work but I’m starting college in September and therefore don’t know how things will change with timings yet - but I want to always have the opportunity to work!

Any advice would be helpful!

Wouldnt you need to find the difference on hours?

I suspect contract workers may be guaranteed hours, but you have to make them.
Casual sounds more like zero hours and they offer you work or they dont, but you can decline. Ask them the difference.
Ask if you can change from one to the other?
I expect they know you are going to college and wont know your timetable so ask them how that might work?

If I could fit it in then contract is better imo as its guaranteed work.
So contracted means you'll have a set number of hours a week whereas casual work means you'll just work as and when depending on the needs of the company. It depends on how much you need the money and how much working will impact your studies. If you desperately need money then I'd say pick contracted as then you're guaranteed shifts but if you're worried about the job becoming too much or impacting college stuff then I'd pick casual work, at least then you won't have to worry about having to set aside X amounts of time per week for work over studying. The downside does mean that you might struggle for hours when you're not at college i.e over the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending