zara_xo6
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi so I got my confirmation and I’m starting my psychology with counselling degree in September however I’m wondering if you’re able to get a job in the counselling profession or something similar with just and undergraduate degree or will I have to go further and complete bachelors and doctorates etc
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As far as I'm aware, counselling can be achieved without a degree.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by zara_xo6)
Hi so I got my confirmation and I’m starting my psychology with counselling degree in September however I’m wondering if you’re able to get a job in the counselling profession or something similar with just and undergraduate degree or will I have to go further and complete bachelors and doctorates etc
Hey!

Unfortunately, a degree in Psychology and Counselling does not qualify you as a counsellor - you need different training for this. You can study the level 3 and 4 counselling qualifications without a degree, though!

If you want to work as a counsellor, you will need to study for a level 3 qualification first, which is a one-year part-time course. The level 4 is then 2 years and involves a counselling placement (unpaid) of around 100 hours (this varies between courses).

The alternative is to do a 3-year masters degree in counselling and psychotherapy, which would also allow you to qualify as a counsellor or psychotherapist.

If you are wanting to train as a psychologist, you will need plenty of work experience in a related field (e.g. mental health support work, assistant psychologist, IAPT worker etc.). This should generally be paid experience completed AFTER your BSc. You then need to complete a doctorate level course (e.g. in counselling or clinical psychology).

I studied the level 3 counselling skills course alongside my BSc. I did this at a local college one evening per week. I am now about to start an MSc and will then apply for the clinical psychology doctorate. My experience is in mental health support work on a PICU and as a crisis worker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (280)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (287)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (182)
9.93%
Isolating with family (129)
7.04%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.58%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.35%
Loneliness (181)
9.87%
Financial worries (75)
4.09%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (169)
9.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.2%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.78%

Watched Threads