"i got into uni" - anyone scared off freshers week :( ?

Watch
JEYBAE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  giphy NII.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  12.5 KB

what do you think you will expect off freshers?
CuriousShinigami
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JEYBAE)

I was terrified.. More than excited. But that might be because I was going to my insurance. But honestly I love being here now.. The first few weeks are rough but honestly get yourself out there. It helps with nerves and confidence.
Try going to some events the university has organised to meet people or try getting on with your flat. If your flat isn't that great just look elsewhere- I made my close friends in other flats as mine was so quiet besides this one annoying football lad

Though I will say don't let your expectations big it up too much. I was one of many who assumed Uni is full of meeting loads of lifetime friends. That's not to say you can't meet some amazing people but it doesn't always happen right away. University is pretty fun (I loved my second year far more) but it can be challenging at times as well.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago

Honestly my expectations were totally different to reality. I assumed that at freshers you’d have to go out every night and get drunk, but that just wasn’t me and I actually tried going out once but absolutely hated it. It just wasn’t for me! I went back to being myself, rather than forcing myself to be someone I’m not, and I met some really amazing friends. My advice would be to be yourself and you will meet some great people who you feel comfortable with and will end up being friends with. You will meet so many people during the week that you will probably never see again, so don’t worry if you haven’t found any proper friends during the first week, you have a whole year and more to make friends!
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was a fresher a few years ago so if you need to talk PM me!

Freshers week is fun, I guess. But don't feel pressured to do anything you don't want to. It was tough as I am someone who disliked going out every night. But in the end you will find a group who you enjoy hanging out with.
SteveyStack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Couldn’t agree more with these posts. As I wanted to go out every night in freshers I did. Ultimately everyone is in the same position and if you join a society or club or whatever you want to do you probably have 4-5 different ways of meeting people.

Having barely spoken a word at school I look back having just graduated having and in the next two weeks am both going to and hosting nights with people I met in freshers.

Most people are open minded in a new place and you may even become mates with people you wouldn’t have talked to at school!
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Congratulations on your place at University JEYBAE!! What will you be studying?
The first few weeks of University can be quite daunting as there is lots going on in a short space of time- I was a fresher this time last year and I can remember it being quite full on but very fun!
In my experience at Solent, there was a Freshers Fayre which really helped to find out about different groups and societies at the University, and it is a good opportunity to bond with your flatmates and/or coursemates in a more in a social setting (plus you get loads of freebies!). If nights out aren't for you, there are plenty more activities that you can do- at Solent I remember there being various sporting activities like crazy golf and table tennis as well as student shopping nights where shopping centres were open exclusively for students with special discounts!

If you have any more general queries or questions about starting University or University life, please don't hesitate to ask me .

Best wishes
Eloise
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Uni is a bit of a whirlwind when you first arrive - a Fresher's week is no exception! I's recommend going in with no preconceived ideas of what you think will happen, and just throw yourself into everything that your interested in.

Go to the nights the SU put on, see if there are any societies you want to join, make some new friends whether in or out of your flat and make the most of it. Congratulations for getting into uni and I hope you have an amazing time :hugs:
mikecoxon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fresher's week can be whatever you want it to be. Remember whatever kind of person you are, whether it's someone who wants to be out all night or someone who wants some peace and quiet, there will be lots of other people who are the same.

It's incredibly daunting but as long as you go in being you then I'm sure you'll be fine and have a great time!

Oh, and you will get ill. That's a certainty.
StaffsUniMaxie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey there!

Fresher's/Welcome Week can definitely feel quite intimidating when you're in the run up, but you have nothing to worry about! I know it's difficult to stay calm when everything's so new and there's so many people to meet, but remember; uni is what you make of it. Don't wanna go out and party? That's okay! Most uni's offer lots of welcome events that are non-party-related. I'd definitely recommend attending a couple of welcome events (even if you just go to the societies fair), so you can give yourself a chance at getting to know the uni and hopefully meeting some new friends!

Good luck at your new uni!

- Gee
username3895014
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do I need to go to freshers week if I’m staying at home?
StaffsUniMaxie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wooord)
Do I need to go to freshers week if I’m staying at home?
You might have introductory lectures and activities during your welcome week, so those are obviously compulsory.

It usually depends, uni to uni, whether you have to attend events and social activities. But I'd recommend it even if your uni's not got it down as compulsory. This way you'll be able to get used to the campus and figure out any issues before you get into your lectures.

Good luck at uni!

- Gee
kkboyk
Report 1 year ago
I went to freshers with no expectation (best decision I made tbh), didn't really participated in events because it was way too costly (a lot of students spent way more than £200 during freshers week on takeaway and alcohol). I still met lots of people during house parties, pre drinks and socials despite not going out.
username3895014
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StaffsUniGee)
You might have introductory lectures and activities during your welcome week, so those are obviously compulsory.

It usually depends, uni to uni, whether you have to attend events and social activities. But I'd recommend it even if your uni's not got it down as compulsory. This way you'll be able to get used to the campus and figure out any issues before you get into your lectures.

Good luck at uni!

- Gee
Thank you!! I guess it’s a good way to make friends before i fully start
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's just one week. In fact it's the most insignificant week of uni.
Unilad092001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with some comments around here, it's only one week and it shouldn't affect your overall Uni experience. You will have 4 years to meet people and make meaningful friends.
hassanrehman__
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
shushh
hassanrehman__
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
shush you loser. we bully freshers out here g
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The best thing to remember as a Fresher is to never do anything you don't want to do. It's a time for self-exploration, it's a time for new experiences, but make sure it isn't a time of forcing yourself to be something you've never been and don't want to be in order to fit in with a crowd.

Have fun!

Oh, to be a dewy-eyed Fresher again...
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I don't eat, drink, sleep, poop or talk so I'm going to die during freshers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (165)
14.58%
I'm not sure (52)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.59%
I have already dropped out (34)
3%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.23%

Watched Threads