The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Any questions for University of Nottingham Students?

Going into my third year would be happy to answer any questions on any topic from prospective students :smile:
Original post by trZ15
Going into my third year would be happy to answer any questions on any topic from prospective students :smile:

Moved your thread to Nottingham forum :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, I was wondering about the marking in Nottingham. I've heard it is harsher than other universities, is that true? I plan to take Biotechnology if that helps with the answer.
Original post by KA024
Hi, I was wondering about the marking in Nottingham. I've heard it is harsher than other universities, is that true? I plan to take Biotechnology if that helps with the answer.

Hi! From my time at the university I have not experienced any necessarily 'harsh' marking, I think wherever possible they try and give you marks if you have made a valid point. I only have experience of taking exams from school of Biology, Chemistry and Maths so I'm guessing you might have some School of Bio modules. Biology(in first year) tend to use online multiple choice examination and with this there is a 'correctional' mark which is taken off your score. To put it simply they make a computer sit the exam and see what they get by making random choices and take this off your score to take into account guessing. In my experience the correctional score has never been that high to drastically make a difference to your mark though. Hope this helps!
Original post by trZ15

Yep
heyyy do you know when is admission for 2020 september begins ??
either for foundation or normal year!
Original post by trZ15

Hi! I'm looking to apply to Nottingham for Mechanical Engineering to start in 2020, the uni just looks great. But my question is a bit of a weird one, it's about the drug scene at Nottingham, and I was wondering if it would be difficult to avoid?
When it comes to uni I've been a bit worried because I suffer from mental illness and am on a number of different kinds of medication, both for long-lasting physical health conditions and mental illness. This means that any form of drug messes up my brain chemistry and has a significantly greater effect on me than it would on most people and often gets me really panicked (even when I drink coffee I get anxious and jittery).
This has got me kind of worried about the fact that I know there will probably be times at uni when I feel under pressure to accept drugs from people, or be the only person not participating, because I know it's really dangerous for me. The last time I smoked weed I almost had a heart attack and the following week was the worst and most anxiety-ridden of my life.
Don't get me wrong, I love a night out, and I still drink probably a lot more alcohol than I should, given that the night often ends up with me having a panic attack and my boyfriend having to take me home, so I'm also trying to find my limits so I can drink and have fun without going overboard (have learnt the hard way the risks of being such a lightweight). I really don't want to have to boycott the entire nightlife scene at university just because I'm scared of this kind of situation coming up.
Sorry I know this is a very long question with lots of different factors, but if you had any advice, comforting words or experiences you could share from your time at Nottingham I'd really appreciate hearing them : )
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I'm looking to apply to Nottingham for Mechanical Engineering to start in 2020, the uni just looks great. But my question is a bit of a weird one, it's about the drug scene at Nottingham, and I was wondering if it would be difficult to avoid?
When it comes to uni I've been a bit worried because I suffer from mental illness and am on a number of different kinds of medication, both for long-lasting physical health conditions and mental illness. This means that any form of drug messes up my brain chemistry and has a significantly greater effect on me than it would on most people and often gets me really panicked (even when I drink coffee I get anxious and jittery).
This has got me kind of worried about the fact that I know there will probably be times at uni when I feel under pressure to accept drugs from people, or be the only person not participating, because I know it's really dangerous for me. The last time I smoked weed I almost had a heart attack and the following week was the worst and most anxiety-ridden of my life.
Don't get me wrong, I love a night out, and I still drink probably a lot more alcohol than I should, given that the night often ends up with me having a panic attack and my boyfriend having to take me home, so I'm also trying to find my limits so I can drink and have fun without going overboard (have learnt the hard way the risks of being such a lightweight). I really don't want to have to boycott the entire nightlife scene at university just because I'm scared of this kind of situation coming up.
Sorry I know this is a very long question with lots of different factors, but if you had any advice, comforting words or experiences you could share from your time at Nottingham I'd really appreciate hearing them : )

Hi
You should consider living in studio accommodation
Reply 7
Heya, just wondering if nottingham has a maths help centre? Loughborough has one in their library- is this the same as Notts?

the drug scene at Nottingham, and I was wondering if it would be difficult to avoid? You will no doubt (at any) uni hear discussions and know about students using recreational drugs, in clubs and events up & down the UK people do this and you may well encounter people and not even know about it. But if you dont wanna see it, then yes you can just go out with people who dont take them, you get to pick who you hang out with at uni so it is very easy in this respect, its not like school where most of your friends are there because you see them everyday.

Drinking alcohol & drugs at uni isnt a pressure, people can choose who they associate with and what they do. Just choose friends who will do similar things to you and dont take drugs and it will be fine, you dont have to boycott the nightlife/drinking scene. I know people at uni who go out and dont drink at all (if people cant respect your choices there not worth your time).
Any info about Raleigh park? I’m going to be staying there feom September 2020 x
Original post by clarab16
Heya, just wondering if nottingham has a maths help centre? Loughborough has one in their library- is this the same as Notts?

Hey, I study a few maths modules and as far as I’m aware this isn’t a ‘help centre’ although there is a space in the maths building where people can do work and collaborate on problems but it isn’t a dedicated help centre. However, it is very easy to get help by emailing a lecturer to arrange a meeting in their office to address any maths (or non-maths) related problems you may have. May I ask are you a prospective maths student or is this with regards to extra help for the maths required on your course?
Hope this helps :smile:)
Original post by Marni1402
Any info about Raleigh park? I’m going to be staying there feom September 2020 x

Hey, Raleigh Park is located north of university park campus so is closer to buildings such as med school and chem and is about 5 mins away from Jubilee campus. In terms of living I’ve heard it’s pretty good, the rooms are pretty spacious and it’s quite a sociable place. It’s also very close to a Lidl, Subway, Dominos and a gym. I don’t have much more info as I didn’t live there but please feel free to ask any other questions :smile:)
Thankyou!! I’m going to be studying psychology with cognitive neuroscience xAny tips for uni/ Nottingham in general? Unexpected items u might need?How much is it for laundry?Most popular clubs?Transport costs?Are there many jobs in student union/on campus?
Original post by Marni1402
Thankyou!! I’m going to be studying psychology with cognitive neuroscience xAny tips for uni/ Nottingham in general? Unexpected items u might need?How much is it for laundry?Most popular clubs?Transport costs?Are there many jobs in student union/on campus?

A few unexpected items which actually came in useful for me personally were : extension cable, speakers, drying rack, passport/documentation, doorstop, pictures/posters/lights (to decorate your room), pizza cutter lol,

I think laundry is run by the same company as Broadgate park which is ‘circuit’ and I’m pretty sure it was either £2/3 for a wash and £1/2 for a dry, unless they’ve changed it from 2 years ago.

Most popular clubs by a mile are rock city but more specifically the event Crisis which is held there every wednesday and also ocean which is open on Friday for UoN students. Crisis is mainstream music and caters for all tastes, then ocean is more old school/cheesy music. Other popular clubs are Stealth (house/tech) and pryzm (house/ RnB).

Transport to get to jubilee and university park campus is free if you use the university hopper bus. The stop is a few mins walk away from Raleigh Park and is close to Jubilee (the route is just a loop of jubilee and university park). Not too sure of what public transport to get into town from your location but there will definitely be buses. For a night out I’d definitely get an uber because they cost £4-5 to get to most of the major clubs.

Yeah I know a few people who have jobs working at the bars / cafe’s on campus and it’s quite easy to apply.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions :smile:)
Original post by trZ15
A few unexpected items which actually came in useful for me personally were : extension cable, speakers, drying rack, passport/documentation, doorstop, pictures/posters/lights (to decorate your room), pizza cutter lol,

I think laundry is run by the same company as Broadgate park which is ‘circuit’ and I’m pretty sure it was either £2/3 for a wash and £1/2 for a dry, unless they’ve changed it from 2 years ago.

Most popular clubs by a mile are rock city but more specifically the event Crisis which is held there every wednesday and also ocean which is open on Friday for UoN students. Crisis is mainstream music and caters for all tastes, then ocean is more old school/cheesy music. Other popular clubs are Stealth (house/tech) and pryzm (house/ RnB).

Transport to get to jubilee and university park campus is free if you use the university hopper bus. The stop is a few mins walk away from Raleigh Park and is close to Jubilee (the route is just a loop of jubilee and university park). Not too sure of what public transport to get into town from your location but there will definitely be buses. For a night out I’d definitely get an uber because they cost £4-5 to get to most of the major clubs.

Yeah I know a few people who have jobs working at the bars / cafe’s on campus and it’s quite easy to apply.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions :smile:)

Thankyou so much that was really helpful

Also how do you find people who you’re sharing a flat with before u go?
is there any chance i won’t get rejected if i miss my offer slightly? i am a european student who has applied for law
is there any chance i won’t get rejected if i miss my offer slightly? i am a european student who has applied for law

Its down to the discretion of the admissions tutor.

A lot will also depend on how other students who firmed Notts do.

The only way to guarantee admission is to get the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending