The Student Room Group

University question

Hi, I have been accepted in my firm choice which is the university of east London, but as the insurance choice I picked goldsmith, both universities have the same course being media and communications however for goldsmith its a foundation year.

I am debating whether I should go into goldsmith since it has a higher rank then UEL and the course I picked seems to be better than UEL's in the rank leagues, so is it possible to switch to goldsmith my insurance choice, would that be a good idea?
Original post by NovaChro
Hi, I have been accepted in my firm choice which is the university of east London, but as the insurance choice I picked goldsmith, both universities have the same course being media and communications however for goldsmith its a foundation year.

I am debating whether I should go into goldsmith since it has a higher rank then UEL and the course I picked seems to be better than UEL's in the rank leagues, so is it possible to switch to goldsmith my insurance choice, would that be a good idea?

Carefully consider your options - a foundation course will be extra money for both the tuition fees and accommodation (unless you live at home). If you are definitely set on going to Goldsmiths, you need to contact them to see if they still have spaces and will consider you
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Carefully consider your options - a foundation course will be extra money for both the tuition fees and accommodation (unless you live at home). If you are definitely set on going to Goldsmiths, you need to contact them to see if they still have spaces and will consider you

I am going to call goldsmith and say if I have the grades to do the non-foundation year of media and communications
I am going to call goldsmith and say if I have the grades to do the non-foundation year of media and communications

What are your grades? I would really question the value of doing a foundation year in media and comms.
Reply 4
Original post by She-Ra
What are your grades? I would really question the value of doing a foundation year in media and comms.

These are my grades listed:

Information technology - a distinction (D)
EPQ - B
Media A level - B
Information technology systems - merit (M)

Hi!
Congratulations on your confirmation of place at the University of East London. Rankings are one factor to consider when choosing where you want to study as well as a whole host of other factors like student life, location and student satisfaction (psst Media and Communication at UEL got 100% in the NSS this year :u:). Let us know if we can answer any further questions you might have about studying the course and life at UEL. :smile:

EPQ - B
Media A level - B

These are good grades. They ask for three B's at Goldsmiths which is 210 UCAS points Based on this page https://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/ba-media-communications/

Is the IT and ITS BTEC?

Friendly and response from @University of East London :h: have you visited both universities?
Reply 7
Original post by She-Ra
These are good grades. They ask for three B's at Goldsmiths which is 210 UCAS points Based on this page https://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/ba-media-communications/

Is the IT and ITS BTEC?

Friendly and response from @University of East London :h: have you visited both universities?

Oh thank you, by any chance do you know how many UCAS points my grades are all worth, if not I will find out myself no problem.

I haven't visited any of those two universities, unfortunately, but I will once I confirm 100% which one I will go to just to have a look at the area and become familiar with it since I will be studying for 3 years, and I don't think I will do foundation year if goldsmith university, doesn't let me do the full media and communication course then I won't enroll with them, for now, my eyes are on UEL, it looks like a great place.
Reply 8
Original post by University of East London
Hi!
Congratulations on your confirmation of place at the University of East London. Rankings are one factor to consider when choosing where you want to study as well as a whole host of other factors like student life, location and student satisfaction (psst Media and Communication at UEL got 100% in the NSS this year :u:). Let us know if we can answer any further questions you might have about studying the course and life at UEL. :smile:

Thank you, for your kind reply; it really put a smile on my face to get a response from my firm choice it's like a dream :biggrin:

I was wondering what 100% in the NSS means for the course I picked; media and communication
Oh thank you, by any chance do you know how many UCAS points my grades are all worth, if not I will find out myself no problem.

I haven't visited any of those two universities, unfortunately, but I will once I confirm 100% which one I will go to just to have a look at the area and become familiar with it since I will be studying for 3 years, and I don't think I will do foundation year if goldsmith university, doesn't let me do the full media and communication course then I won't enroll with them, for now, my eyes are on UEL, it looks like a great place.

I was trying to work out your points but I didn't know whether those other subjects were BTEC? Can you let me know? :heart:

EPQ - B
Media A level - B

Hi Nova,

Great to hear you are considering coming to Goldsmiths! I studied in the Media & Comms Department ( BA Journalism) and loved it.

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend you give our clearing hotline a call at 0800 9774 653 (or get in touch on WhatsApp/Facebook messenger) You’ll be able to find out where you stand pretty quickly!

Let me know if you have any questions. And whatever happens, trust your gut! :gthumb:

Antoni
Reply 11
Original post by She-Ra
I was trying to work out your points but I didn't know whether those other subjects were BTEC? Can you let me know? :heart:

Information technology systems where I got a Merit must be the exam I did after all the coursework I completed for Information technology in which I got a distinction, and this course in a-levels was called ICT BTEC national extended diploma level 3.

As for EPQ, it's endorsed by OCR, and it's a project-based course.

Hope this helps out, I hope I am not bothering you :frown:
Information technology systems where I got a Merit must be the exam I did after all the coursework I completed for Information technology in which I got a distinction, and this course in a-levels was called ICT BTEC national extended diploma level 3.

Nothing stopping you from contacting Goldsmiths if you want to explore your options, but at least you have an offer at the moment :biggrin: Congrats :smile:

This is what I am here for, I promise you're not bothering me at all.

I think you are a near miss for Goldsmith's. If you are feeling all the good vibes for UEL and they are your dream uni, go for it and go visit as soon as you can. 100% in the NSS means students were extremely satisfied with the course experience :smile:
Thank you, for your kind reply; it really put a smile on my face to get a response from my firm choice it's like a dream :biggrin:

I was wondering what 100% in the NSS means for the course I picked; media and communication

Hi - yes that is 100% student satisfaction for media and communication at UEL in the most recent NSS results. So glad we put a smile on your face, happy students is what we like.

Were you thinking about commuting or living on campus?

Hey NovaChro, just posting again to reply to your OP! Rankings are a great way to understand if the course you want to study is highly rated amongst other universities. It's obviously important to know that you will receive the highest quality of teaching to help prepare you for your career after university.

Not only do Goldsmiths offer this, but we have a fantastic campus. We're only 10 minutes away from London Bridge on the train, but you still get a campus vibe in the heart of New Cross. You'd get to be in a convenient location, as well as explore SE Londons culture, events, and nightlife it's really the best of both worlds. (and you won't need to break the bank with our accommodation like elsewhere in London!).

A couple of things you might find useful:

The first 100 people who submit an accommodation application through the Clearing pathway will be guaranteed an accommodation offer.

We’ve got Clearing Visit Days happening on Friday 16 and Saturday 17 August, where Clearing applicants can get to know the campus and find out more about Goldsmiths.

You can find out more about the campus, departments, and student life at Goldsmiths on our YouTube channel, like this video about all the cool stuff you can do right on your doorstep! Goldsmiths really want the best for their students and will go above and beyond to give an all-round incredible student experience at university. Our videos say it all really. 😉

We'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending