The Student Room Group

Bath or York for Biology

I just missed my offer from Oxford for Biology and I was wondering which uni is best for Biology. I want to go to a competitive environment with high quality teaching. I also care about the rep, which uni would you say has a better rep? xx
Original post by noorgal
I just missed my offer from Oxford for Biology and I was wondering which uni is best for Biology. I want to go to a competitive environment with high quality teaching. I also care about the rep, which uni would you say has a better rep? xx

Both universities are highly thought of and have strong reputations :smile:

They're also in completely different locations.... do you have a preference?

Have you visited either of them?

@University of York @University of Bath can you help? Do you have any one in biology in your clearing team available who may be able to answer questions about the course?
Reply 2
Original post by She-Ra

@University of York @University of Bath can you help? Do you have any one in biology in your clearing team available who may be able to answer questions about the course?

I haven’t visited them but I’ve heard they’re beautiful historical cities.
Original post by noorgal
I haven’t visited them but I’ve heard they’re beautiful historical cities.

You're right, they both are beautiful. Have you looked at the NSS scores (student satisfaction) for each course?

What about module breakdown? When you check it out, do you get a good feeling about one over the other?
Reply 4
Original post by noorgal

If it helps, I had an offer from Oxford for Biochemistry (St. Peters College) this year, but decided to turn it down for York (going this year). It is very well respected in the biological sciences field and is a very good uni in general. Plus it’s a member of the Russell Group with excellent links to Industry. I can’t comment on Bath so hopefully someone else will have a perspective on this.
Original post by noorgal

Original post by She-Ra

Hi there,
We're sorry you missed out on Oxford, but we're glad that you're considering us. The only places we have left in Biology are for international students, where are you from? We do have other courses with vacancies though if you're a home student, you can find them here: http://bit.ly/2Z8pI7T. York is a really amazing place to live and study. We have great lecturers and a TEF Gold standard of teaching, but we also have plenty of societies for you to choose from. If you have any questions about clearing, our hotline is open until 6pm: 01904 234868. Good luck!
Steph
Reply 6
Original post by tbofig
If it helps, I had an offer from Oxford for Biochemistry (St. Peters College) this year, but decided to turn it down for York (going this year). It is very well respected in the biological sciences field and is a very good uni in general. Plus it’s a member of the Russell Group with excellent links to Industry. I can’t comment on Bath so hopefully someone else will have a perspective on this.

Reply 7
Original post by University of York
Hi there,
We're sorry you missed out on Oxford, but we're glad that you're considering us. The only places we have left in Biology are for international students, where are you from? We do have other courses with vacancies though if you're a home student, you can find them here: http://bit.ly/2Z8pI7T. York is a really amazing place to live and study. We have great lecturers and a TEF Gold standard of teaching, but we also have plenty of societies for you to choose from. If you have any questions about clearing, our hotline is open until 6pm: 01904 234868. Good luck!
Steph

thank you! I'm seriously considering York and the university and course sounds amazing
Reply 8
Original post by noorgal

No problem, and in terms of competition, I just got triple A* so there’ll be plenty of that! :wink: Well done and just keep going! 🙃
Reply 9
Original post by tbofig
No problem, and in terms of competition, I just got triple A* so there’ll be plenty of that! :wink: Well done and just keep going! 🙃

perfect! congrats btw :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by noorgal
perfect! congrats btw :smile:

Thanks, and don’t worry, you can still be really proud that you even got an offer from Oxford in the first place, one of the most difficult unis in the world to get into!
Reply 11
Original post by tbofig
Thanks, and don’t worry, you can still be really proud that you even got an offer from Oxford in the first place, one of the most difficult unis in the world to get into!

thanks ! xx
Reply 12
Bump
Original post by noorgal
Bump

Hey :h:

How are things going? Did you make a decision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending