?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Today I got my AS results; I'm disappointed with my results:
Maths: A
Biology: B
Physics: B
Chemistry: C
EPQ: A*

I'm dropping physics and going into A2 with chem, maths and bio. I did not take AS seriously (blah blah blah) and crammed a day before just as I did for GCSE (apparently that doesn't work for AS!).
My GCSEs are average and so add nothing to my application (6A* 2A 2B) and I have my UCAT in 2 weeks, been averaging 720-800 in mocks.

Do I stand a chance..? I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle and so I need to smash the UCAT, but I have no clue where else to apply where I stand a slight of chance.
Ahsan0916
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've just got my results and I'm going to Newcastle to study medicine this September !! I didn't do AS so I'm not sure if you use your AS grades or Predcitions when you apply. I'm pretty sure its predictions though, try to get AAA prediction, anything less and you wont be considered by majority of the unis. Your gcses are more than good enough. If you manage to get 690+ in UCAT than it's pretty much garaunterd interview at Newcastle. Manchester give everyone who's score is in the top 30% an interview so thats worth a try too. Usually thsts around 660. Sheffield Is also a UCAT heavy uni so if your scores good enough than that's worth a choice too. Your good across the board so I would recommend searching around and finding the uni you wanna go to. Usually different medical schools focus on different stats for example Birmingham really care about your gcses. 6 A*s may be enough for an interview but no guarantee
earl2334
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ahsan0916)
I've just got my results and I'm going to Newcastle to study medicine this September !! I didn't do AS so I'm not sure if you use your AS grades or Predcitions when you apply. I'm pretty sure its predictions though, try to get AAA prediction, anything less and you wont be considered by majority of the unis. Your gcses are more than good enough. If you manage to get 690+ in UCAT than it's pretty much garaunterd interview at Newcastle. Manchester give everyone who's score is in the top 30% an interview so thats worth a try too. Usually thsts around 660. Sheffield Is also a UCAT heavy uni so if your scores good enough than that's worth a choice too. Your good across the board so I would recommend searching around and finding the uni you wanna go to. Usually different medical schools focus on different stats for example Birmingham really care about your gcses. 6 A*s may be enough for an interview but no guarantee
Congrats on getting a place! I'll try to convince my teachers to predict me an A for chemistry. Do you know whether Newcastle just wants the requirements met or do they favour over achievers in AS?
Ahsan0916
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by earl2334)
Congrats on getting a place! I'll try to convince my teachers to predict me an A for chemistry. Do you know whether Newcastle just wants the requirements met or do they favour over achievers in AS?
I'm pretty sure they just want requirements met. A friend of mine had A*A*B and they wouldnt let him in through normal entry due to the B
earl2334
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Will you be able to get predicted AAA minimum and then actually achieve it?
I'm not sure how nice my teachers will be with their predictions but I'm willing to work my *** off from the start of A2 now that I know what level I should be revising at. But I know I'm capable of achieving them if I start revision as soon as A2 starts.
earl2334
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ahsan0916)
I'm pretty sure they just want requirements met. A friend of mine had A*A*B and they wouldnt let him in through normal entry due to the B
Ah, that's fine then. Do you know any other Unis which don't care much about AS/academics but put emphasis on UCAT?
Ahsan0916
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Ah, that's fine then. Do you know any other Unis which don't care much about AS/academics but put emphasis on UCAT?
Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle are the main 3 I know of. All medical schools just want you to meet the minimum A level prediction of AAA. They may accept you with AAB on results day but they went the 3 As prediction to consider your application. Medic portal have a list of unis which focus on higher UCAT scores. They also show which unis dont focus on UCAT alot so worth looking there. I'd recommend really researching the uni and finding out what they focus on the most. theres no point wasting an option at a uni which looks heavily at 1 particular thing which you may have not done too well at. Birmingham and Cardiff put a lot of emphasis on gcses and the average offer holder has like 7 ot 8 A*s so it's a risk applying there. Bristol has just switched to looking at UCAT only this year, so Bristol is worth an option too as long as you have a strong UCAT
Last edited by Ahsan0916; 2 months ago
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Today I got my AS results; I'm disappointed with my results:
Maths: A
Biology: B
Physics: B
Chemistry: C
EPQ: A*

I'm dropping physics and going into A2 with chem, maths and bio. I did not take AS seriously (blah blah blah) and crammed a day before just as I did for GCSE (apparently that doesn't work for AS!).
My GCSEs are average and so add nothing to my application (6A* 2A 2B) and I have my UCAT in 2 weeks, been averaging 720-800 in mocks.

Do I stand a chance..? I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle and so I need to smash the UCAT, but I have no clue where else to apply where I stand a slight of chance.
Nowhere cares about AS levels as long as you are predicted at least AAA
earl2334
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Nowhere cares about AS levels as long as you are predicted at least AAA
But wouldn't being predicted AAA put me at a disadvantage because presumably, most medicine applicants will have A*A*A/A*A*A* predictions?
DGeorge13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you’re not predicted an a things will be harder and you may have to push as some schools are only minded to go one grade higher but so long as you get a UCAT score, apply strategically, get an interview and then an offer you would only have to meet your predictions then to get in and would only have to go up 1 grade in 2 subjects and 2 in your other from as to a level
TomSmith12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey! This is literally me 3 years ago... I got BBBC at AS (dropped maths which had the C). Then went on to get AAA at A2 and go to do medicine at newcastle! The UCAT (or UKCAT in my day) is crucial for NCL. Get a good score in that and you'll be fine Also my GCSE's were 5A* and 5A if you were wondering so not amazing either
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
But wouldn't being predicted AAA put me at a disadvantage because presumably, most medicine applicants will have A*A*A/A*A*A* predictions?
No, unless you apply to somewhere that selects using A levels or has minimum requirements of A*AA. And most appicants do not have those sort of predictions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads