May123s
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So i got CCE in my A levels so heart broken i was in clearing got place at Hertfordshire to do biomed. but i really wanted to do medicine so i need advice for what i should . my school is just rubbish i failed maths because of my maths teacher

please any advice
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by May123s)
So i got CCE in my A levels so heart broken i was in clearing got place at Hertfordshire to do biomed. but i really wanted to do medicine so i need advice for what i should . my school is just rubbish i failed maths because of my maths teacher

please any advice
Do you think that if you retake you'll get AAA? Obviously CCE and AAA is a long way away.

If not, you may want to do a degree, aim for 1st or 2:1 then apply for GEM. It's more competitive and require higher UCAT scores generally, alternatively you'll have to take the GAMSAT.

Realistically speaking medicine is an academically demanding degree and a similarly demanding career. You'll have virtually endless exams. Do you think you can do it?
May123s
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Do you think that if you retake you'll get AAA? Obviously CCE and AAA is a long way away.

If not, you may want to do a degree, aim for 1st or 2:1 then apply for GEM. It's more competitive and require higher UCAT scores generally, alternatively you'll have to take the GAMSAT.

Realistically speaking medicine is an academically demanding degree and a similarly demanding career. You'll have virtually endless exams. Do you think you can do it?
yes i can , I'm determined to do this but i feel like i have no reassurance, sucks to be in this position. i just want some advice and tips so i know what steps i need to be taking
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes i can , I'm determined to do this but i feel like i have no reassurance, sucks to be in this position. i just want some advice and tips so i know what steps i need to be taking
If you think you can get AAA in 12 months time, while also taking your UCAT or BMAT now, then retake and reapply.

Make sure you apply to med schools who will accept retakes. There are more and more of them.

Retaking 1 year + undergrad medicine is shorter cheaper and relatively easier than graduate entry medicine.

BTW if you fulfill any widening access criteria, see if you can apply to any medicine with foundation year courses. They usually have lower grade requirements but tend to be more competitive. You can only apply if you meet certain criteria though.
May123s
Rep:
?
If you think you can get AAA in 12 months time, while also taking your UCAT or BMAT now, then retake and reapply.

Make sure you apply to med schools who will accept retakes. There are more and more of them.

Retaking 1 year + undergrad medicine is shorter cheaper and relatively easier than graduate entry medicine.

BTW if you fulfill any widening access criteria, see if you can apply to any medicine with foundation year courses. They usually have lower grade requirements but tend to be more competitive. You can only apply if you meet certain criteria though.
do you think graduate medicine is also a good option too ?
i really am broken completely, i feel lost
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's an option, I understand how hard it must feel now because there is nothing you can do at the moment.

Take some time (a few days) to think about the pros and cons of each, you're welcome to pick our brains here.
idontknow786
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi,
Just wanted to ask about the foundation programmes. Do you know if the foundation med will accept retakes?
I couldn't find anything on uni websites
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by idontknow786)
Hi,
Just wanted to ask about the foundation programmes. Do you know if the foundation med will accept retakes?
I couldn't find anything on uni websites
Perhaps give them a call?

Foundation year Medicine courses are relatively new, so the criteria are less defined. It may also be because the grade requirments are lower that they dont accept retakes.

Please let us know when you get a response!
May123s
Rep:
?
It's an option, I understand how hard it must feel now because there is nothing you can do at the moment.

Take some time (a few days) to think about the pros and cons of each, you're welcome to pick our brains here.
Its just that i have to reply by tomorrow and accept the offer, so i would like to know if thats a smart choice or not. i've thought about it back to back but i feel like i need an opinion too
idontknow786
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

please any advice
Hi
I'm in exactly same position as you! I think I'm going for a retake and will apply again
What have you planned?
screweverything
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Got the same grades as you and applying through clearing right now.
May123s
Rep:
?
(Original post by idontknow786)
Hi
I'm in exactly same position as you! I think I'm going for a retake and will apply again
What have you planned?
Firstly, well done no matter what you still worked for the grades
I would want to retake but I'm worried how I'm gonna manage that alongside with UCAT and BMAT. Do you have a place for biomed? because then we can do biomed aim for first and do all the necessary work and do GEM
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I'm in the same position. Stuck between accepting a biomed offer or retaking, don't know if I have the willpower to go through the application process and A levels again though...
idontknow786
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, well done no matter what you still worked for the grades
I would want to retake but I'm worried how I'm gonna manage that alongside with UCAT and BMAT. Do you have a place for biomed? because then we can do biomed aim for first and do all the necessary work and do GEM
Yeah exactly...am worried about that as well, and also getting AAA after such low grades.
I got offers for other courses, not biomed though, but they also have transfers to Med, but to be honest I don't think it's worth it, it way more competitive than normal med. Same with GEM, it's way harder to get in compared to normal med.
I feel like I'll stick with a resit, work extremely hard for the year and try again. Have you made your mind up yet?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Ecolier has given you really good advice, although I think your shock will make it hard for you to absorb.
Graduate entry is much harder.
This shows how many applicants per place you will be competing against although you can divide by four as people get four choices.
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

If you feel those results dont reflect your true ability, then the most cost effective way is resits.
Many medical schools will not accept resits
As Ecolier said CCE to AAA is a long journey.
Explorer29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1968)
Hi I'm in the same position. Stuck between accepting a biomed offer or retaking, don't know if I have the willpower to go through the application process and A levels again though...
I am in the same position as well. I hv decided to do Bioscience and enter as graduate entry. I don’t think I can go through the stress of UKcat BMAT and interviews and not sure how my retake is gonna turn out!!
Sha_Maz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know this sounds weird but I’m so happy I found you ! I literally opened my results and I had gotten CCD and am looking to retake the year. I’m so determined to get all A’s !
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Explorer29)
I am in the same position as well. I hv decided to do Bioscience and enter as graduate entry. I don’t think I can go through the stress of UKcat BMAT and interviews and not sure how my retake is gonna turn out!!
same here! I'd have to resit all 3 a levels which terrifies me and my ukcat went awful last year and I don't think I could cope going through that again. I've decided to get for the biomed because even I'm not sure whether my heart is in medicine 100 percent, so at least this way I have other options after the 3 years
Explorer29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1968)
same here! I'd have to resit all 3 a levels which terrifies me and my ukcat went awful last year and I don't think I could cope going through that again. I've decided to get for the biomed because even I'm not sure whether my heart is in medicine 100 percent, so at least this way I have other options after the 3 years
All the best! I am still gonna apply for graduate medicine but I dunno how but I thought of resitting my science subjects on my first year uni. Since chem n Bio is covered, I might be able to get it done. I am thinking about it but not sure
chano
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

please any advice
hey so I was in a similar position last yr. got offers for med but missed my grades too. I have just finished first yr biomed at st Georges. while I do love being in a position where I'm one step closer to medicine, I would suggest retaking and reapplying for next yr. its easier to get into undergrad med than grad med and its cheaper in the long run. however, if you're tired of a levels and want a change, doing biomed and then applying for grad med isn't a bad idea either! biomed is a v versatile degree and your options are v much open after you finish your degree - it will also give you time to rly think about what you want to do whether its medicine or research
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads