The Student Room Group

Actually failed my a levels

I failed my a levels due to family issue . I believe there is no hope for me to ever go into a grand college . So here I am stuck wondering what to do next . Any suggestions would be greAt .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aeun
I failed my a levels due to family issue . I believe there is no hope for me to ever go into a grand college . So here I am stuck wondering what to do next . Any suggestions would be greAt .

Have you looked at resits, or foundation years? They are an option if you didn't get the grades you want; I'd also say don't worry too much about rankings and the like though? Aside from a few areas, they're certainly not the be all and end all :tongue:
Original post by Aeun

Are you doing 1st or 2nd year a levels? I suggest having a look at this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=84541492 it'll explain some of your options. :smile:
Hey there,

Are you talking about your AS Levels or your A Levels?

What subjects are you looking at applying for? If it's a more academic course, you may want to consider re-sitting your exams or applying for a Foundation Year before the 3 Year Degree. If it's a more creative course, your portfolio may be good enough to get you into the course regardless of your grades, and/or you could apply for an Extended Degree or Foundation Diploma course.

Best,
Harriet :smile:
Third Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by shadowdweller
Have you looked at resits, or foundation years? They are an option if you didn't get the grades you want; I'd also say don't worry too much about rankings and the like though? Aside from a few areas, they're certainly not the be all and end all :tongue:

I would be doing a foundation year. Thank you for your kind words.
Reply 5
Original post by shadowdweller

I would be doing a foundation year. Thank you for your kind words.

Original post by Black Rose
Are you doing 1st or 2nd year a levels? I suggest having a look at this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=84541492 it'll explain some of your options. :smile:

Thank you and I am doing second year a level .
Reply 6
Original post by Plymouth College Of Art
Hey there,

Are you talking about your AS Levels or your A Levels?

What subjects are you looking at applying for? If it's a more academic course, you may want to consider re-sitting your exams or applying for a Foundation Year before the 3 Year Degree. If it's a more creative course, your portfolio may be good enough to get you into the course regardless of your grades, and/or you could apply for an Extended Degree or Foundation Diploma course.

Best,
Harriet :smile:
Third Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador

Hello there I am talking about my a levels . I am trying for a foundational year and I am trying to study Mechanical engineering .
Hello @Aeun -

We have places still available for our Engineering foundation year if you're interested in talking to our adviser who can tell you about our course? Our number is 0800 0483 334 - we'd love to have a chance to talk to you. All hope is not lost!

Best wishes,
Jessy
Reply 8
Original post by Kingston University
Hello @Aeun -

We have places still available for our Engineering foundation year if you're interested in talking to our adviser who can tell you about our course? Our number is 0800 0483 334 - we'd love to have a chance to talk to you. All hope is not lost!

Best wishes,
Jessy

Sure . Will call you .Thank you
Original post by Aeun

Great :smile: I will let my colleague know :smile:
Original post by Aeun

Fingers crossed! Let us know how you get on :h:
Here's hoping some other students in your position read this - some good advice here :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you all
Reply 13
After doing my foundation year at any uni can I transfer to russel group uni . I have been dreaming since I was a kid to study in University of leeds , so I was wondering if there was a way out .
Of course :smile:

Some students actually find after first year they want a different scenery or just simply want to try a different uni, you aren't tied to one university once you complete your foundation year :smile:

I have a student who studied Mech Eng with us, she started as a foundation student and this year graduated with her Masters, she said that when she finished her foundation year, she found her grades were actually higher than when she took her a levels so foundation degrees can be amazing jumping off place to your further education :biggrin:

You can read about Ese's story here, I hope she inspires you, you might find some things relatable - mainly her love for Mechanical Engineering :biggrin:
Reply 15
Have you looked to your local college? A lot offer university level courses, but at a lower cost.
You could end up doing a HNC/D and then doing a top-up course and come out with a full degree.

Employers sponsor their employees to do these courses (mainly part-time) so it is work ready.
Original post by Aeun

Hello,
Have you looked at the foundation courses at the University of Reading? We offer science foundations in a variety of courses that might suit you - have a look here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/clearing/#science-foundation-programmes
If you're interested, have a chat with one of our clearing team members on +44 (0)118 402 0900 and see if they can help you!
Successful completion of your foundation year will guarantee you a place on the undergraduate course you want, or you are free to go to another university of your choice :smile:

Best of luck,
Alice :h:
Final year student ambassador
Reply 17
Original post by NWSLC
Have you looked to your local college? A lot offer university level courses, but at a lower cost.
You could end up doing a HNC/D and then doing a top-up course and come out with a full degree.

Employers sponsor their employees to do these courses (mainly part-time) so it is work ready.

Hello there , I am from a different country . What are the local colleges should I apply ?
Reply 18

Some students actually find after first year they want a different scenery or just simply want to try a different uni, you aren't tied to one university once you complete your foundation year :smile:

I have a student who studied Mech Eng with us, she started as a foundation student and this year graduated with her Masters, she said that when she finished her foundation year, she found her grades were actually higher than when she took her a levels so foundation degrees can be amazing jumping off place to your further education :biggrin:

You can read about Ese's story here, I hope she inspires you, you might find some things relatable - mainly her love for Mechanical Engineering :biggrin:

Hello there I made a call but no one recieved the call.
Reply 19

Can I get your email ID. I am also not from the UK . I am from Ghana.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending