Severely ill mother financial strain, can I increase maintenance loan?

Watch
QZRChedders
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

My mother is severely ill and we've been paying thousands for her consultant visits, some meds, operations as it had to be done privately and cover ran out.

This is obviously a huge drain of my family's money despite normally being fairly high earners. The maintenance loan is for the minimum amount and is using just a salary number. Is there a way to apply for more given how much we've been put out with my mother's conditions?

Thanks in advance!
Graeme SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by QZRChedders)
Hi there,

My mother is severely ill and we've been paying thousands for her consultant visits, some meds, operations as it had to be done privately and cover ran out.

This is obviously a huge drain of my family's money despite normally being fairly high earners. The maintenance loan is for the minimum amount and is using just a salary number. Is there a way to apply for more given how much we've been put out with my mother's conditions?

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

We're sorry to hear this - do you think the household income has dropped by more than 15% in the current (19/20) tax year?

Warm regards, Graeme
QZRChedders
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Graeme SFE)
Hello,

We're sorry to hear this - do you think the household income has dropped by more than 15% in the current (19/20) tax year?

Warm regards, Graeme
I'm not certain, because of her issues I don't think her lost income would be a 15% net loss, it's more that the amount of spendable income has obviously taken a large hit due to having to pay for private healthcare to make her in any way functional. I'm not certain of exactly how much but it has been very expensive. Each visit to a consultant costs well over 100 pounds.
Claire SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by QZRChedders)
I'm not certain, because of her issues I don't think her lost income would be a 15% net loss, it's more that the amount of spendable income has obviously taken a large hit due to having to pay for private healthcare to make her in any way functional. I'm not certain of exactly how much but it has been very expensive. Each visit to a consultant costs well over 100 pounds.
Hi there,

Did you request your application to be means tested on the household income originally? If yes, and the household income hasn't dropped by 15% or more then unfortunately we can't award you any more finance. If the household income has dropped by 15% or more we would need your parents to complete the Current Year Income Form found here http://ow.ly/C6Sy30pnq1N.

Thanks,
Claire
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (663)
49.33%

Watched Threads