The Student Room Group

economics at university

Hi Econ students!

I was choosing between courses like

Economics and management/ accounting/ finance
or
just pure economics.

The reason I was considering joint honours is because i've never done economics before, so I was under the impression it would be 'easier' if I find the economics modules tough.

But now I'm just not sure if that's the case, seeing as a lot of programmes share a common first year.

Basically my question is... does a joint honours have less economics? Or is it more that there is less flexibility to choose your modules? For example with Econ and management- there are economics modules and management modules.

Whereas a single honours has the same amount of economics modules
as a joint honours but with optional modules being things like management/ accounting/ finance. Basically just more choice...?

Please let me know. And let me know which university you are at.
Original post by adri2000
Hi Econ students!

I was choosing between courses like

Economics and management/ accounting/ finance
or
just pure economics.

The reason I was considering joint honours is because i've never done economics before, so I was under the impression it would be 'easier' if I find the economics modules tough.

But now I'm just not sure if that's the case, seeing as a lot of programmes share a common first year.

Basically my question is... does a joint honours have less economics? Or is it more that there is less flexibility to choose your modules? For example with Econ and management- there are economics modules and management modules.

Whereas a single honours has the same amount of economics modules
as a joint honours but with optional modules being things like management/ accounting/ finance. Basically just more choice...?

Please let me know. And let me know which university you are at.
Categorically an economics and management course will have less economics in than a single honours economics. Yes. Depending on what you'd like to do after your degree should determine which combination you choose. Adding a second subject could add more strings to your bow in an employability context but some professions in the sector may want more detailed economics knowledge and would select a candidate with a single honours degree over you. I do don't know the sector so I can't really say what would be the best option for you, but these are some things to think about.
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Categorically an economics and management course will have less economics in than a single honours economics. Yes. Depending on what you'd like to do after your degree should determine which combination you choose. Adding a second subject could add more strings to your bow in an employability context but some professions in the sector may want more detailed economics knowledge and would select a candidate with a single honours degree over you. I do don't know the sector so I can't really say what would be the best option for you, but these are some things to think about.

Thanks. Really haven't thought that deeply into what career I would do at this stage. Just worries me that I might be a bit out of my depth in straight economics.
Thanks. Really haven't thought that deeply into what career I would do at this stage. Just worries me that I might be a bit out of my depth in straight economics.
University work isn't assessed in competition with everyone else. You get what your work is worth and nothing else, no grade boundaries where a certain proportion achieve As. Don't worry about being out of depth among your peers but do think carefully about whether economics is your best option is all. Even if you don't have a career in mind, do research the different sorts of jobs that can come out of economics and eliminate the ones you don't want to do. Use this research to inform your choice. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
University work isn't assessed in competition with everyone else. You get what your work is worth and nothing else, no grade boundaries where a certain proportion achieve As. Don't worry about being out of depth among your peers but do think carefully about whether economics is your best option is all. Even if you don't have a career in mind, do research the different sorts of jobs that can come out of economics and eliminate the ones you don't want to do. Use this research to inform your choice. :smile:

I think I would like a job in finance of some sort. But perhaps it would be best for me to study something more relevant to my A levels, and then still going into a career in Finance? How hard is it for Science grads to go into Finance?
I think I would like a job in finance of some sort. But perhaps it would be best for me to study something more relevant to my A levels, and then still going into a career in Finance? How hard is it for Science grads to go into Finance?

It seems pretty common for physicists to go that route (likewise engineers), I'm not as familiar with other science disciplines (most of my friends were doing physics). Most financial services grad schemes don't actually require any specific degree background, and any graduate can apply to them; some do require a "numerate" degree (such as economics, physics, engineering, CS, maths etc) though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending