The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Foundation year at MMU

So I've decided I don't want to so psychology anymore, so I'm going to do a biomedical degree. I will be doing the science and engineering degrees, foundation year (healthcare science route) at MMU. Can someone tell me abit about (like the passing rates, how much you have to pass to go onto the biomedical science degree etc.)

I know doing the foundation year doesn't guarantee me a place on the biomedical science course but I didn't do biology/chemistry as an A-level so i think this is the most straightforward way.

And will I still get my accommodation? I'm at the same uni just a different course and starting foundation year
Original post by Rawr789
So I've decided I don't want to so psychology anymore, so I'm going to do a biomedical degree. I will be doing the science and engineering degrees, foundation year (healthcare science route) at MMU. Can someone tell me abit about (like the passing rates, how much you have to pass to go onto the biomedical science degree etc.)

I know doing the foundation year doesn't guarantee me a place on the biomedical science course but I didn't do biology/chemistry as an A-level so i think this is the most straightforward way.

And will I still get my accommodation? I'm at the same uni just a different course and starting foundation year

Are you applying through Clearing or doing a new application for next cycle?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Are you applying through Clearing or doing a new application for next cycle?

I'm applying through clearing.
Original post by Rawr789
I'm applying through clearing.

You'll have to contact the uni regarding accommodation, and you'll be better off posting in the MMU forum for more advice on the course :smile:
Original post by Rawr789

If you are offered a place on the Biomedical Science degree with Foundation Year, then providing you pass the Foundation Year (usually a pass mark of 40% or above in each module), then you will automatically progress on to Year 1 of the Biomedical Science degree.

In terms of accommodation, was your offered confirmed for Psychology? As long as you have not released yourself from this offer, then your place in accommodation will still stand if we change you over to the Biomedical Science with Foundation Year. However, I would recommend that you check the status of your accommodation place just to be on the safe side by giving them a ring on 0161 247 2958.

I hope this helps :smile:

Rebecca
Reply 5
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
If you are offered a place on the Biomedical Science degree with Foundation Year, then providing you pass the Foundation Year (usually a pass mark of 40% or above in each module), then you will automatically progress on to Year 1 of the Biomedical Science degree.

In terms of accommodation, was your offered confirmed for Psychology? As long as you have not released yourself from this offer, then your place in accommodation will still stand if we change you over to the Biomedical Science with Foundation Year. However, I would recommend that you check the status of your accommodation place just to be on the safe side by giving them a ring on 0161 247 2958.

I hope this helps :smile:

Rebecca

Thanks this helped alot.
Reply 6
Original post by Interrobang
You'll have to contact the uni regarding accommodation, and you'll be better off posting in the MMU forum for more advice on the course :smile:

Thanks I just couldn't find the MMU forum for some reason.
Original post by Rawr789
Thanks I just couldn't find the MMU forum for some reason.

Have you found it now? :smile:
Two points:
(1). Foundation degrees are 'money for old rope.' They are simply money-spinners for universities who want to entice students without the requisite qualifications onto their courses. That was what they were designed to do. In my personal opinion you would be far better off retaking your 'A' Levels etc whilst doing a job. You would thereby have a far better chance (depending on your results of course) of going to a far better university for a conventional undergraduate degree and you gain money and experience, (both very valuable), along the way.
(2). The Foundation degrees at Man. Met. are (generally speaking) truly shocking in terms of their quality. There are far better ways to spend your time and money. I write as one who knows.
Reply 9
Original post by Tantric Vibe
Two points:
(1). Foundation degrees are 'money for old rope.' They are simply money-spinners for universities who want to entice students without the requisite qualifications onto their courses. That was what they were designed to do. In my personal opinion you would be far better off retaking your 'A' Levels etc whilst doing a job. You would thereby have a far better chance (depending on your results of course) of going to a far better university for a conventional undergraduate degree and you gain money and experience, (both very valuable), along the way.
(2). The Foundation degrees at Man. Met. are (generally speaking) truly shocking in terms of their quality. There are far better ways to spend your time and money. I write as one who knows.

I know there are issues with foundation degrees, but because of my GCSE's i wouldn't be able to do biology, which I would need to do the biomedical science degree. It's just easier for me to do a foundation year.
Fair one.
I would guess that this is the only reason that foundation degrees survive at all. They really are rubbish. Yet they serve as a stepping stone.
I applied for law at Manchester met and they got back to me with law with foundation year - do you think they would reconsider if I spoke to them about because my predicted grades are above the requirements :frown:
Original post by Danny2002
I applied for law at Manchester met and they got back to me with law with foundation year - do you think they would reconsider if I spoke to them about because my predicted grades are above the requirements :frown:

Hi there,

I believe I have provided an answer on a different thread about the same question. I will leave the link to the answer here just in case.

Hope this helps,

Luca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending