The Student Room Group

How to do a large amount of revision/studying in a small amount of time?

Hi guys. I have heard some people are able to do massive amounts of revision within like a day or week or something. I am doing GCSE's and I know it is summer break but I am literally stressing the hell out! I feel like a failure because I did my mocks and I flopped and some of my classmates who hardly do any revision or learning (and who I know aren't really bothered when it comes to revision and they do drugs) got like grade 8s and 9s. Now mind you these people do drugs, drink and have s**x and yet they achieve higher academically. Is it because they are naturally smart or something? I am normally a student who gets fairly above average (6s or 7s). This year I don't know something happened and like everything has flipped. It's like a horror movie.

I have been trying my absolute hardest to do revision and study over the summer (space it out) but I just can't. I know some of my friends that are able to do a massive amounts of revision/studying with ease and get good grades. Is there like some technique or trick I need to know about. Please help!!! I got at least 8 months before my GCSEs and I am panicking the hell out. I feel guilty that I haven't done as much work as I could have and have been lying to my parents about it. Please!!!!! Anybody got practical tricks or secret techniques they'd like to share?

(I need good tips/techniques/tricks that actually work and an explanation how you guys applied it.)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by M4N12D33n472
Hi guys. I have heard some people are able to do massive amounts of revision within like a day or week or something. I am doing GCSE's and I know it is summer break but I am literally stressing the hell out! I feel like a failure because I did my mocks and I flopped and some of my classmates who hardly do any revision or learning (and who I know aren't really bothered when it comes to revision and they do drugs) got like grade 8s and 9s. Now mind you these people do drugs, drink and have s**x and yet they achieve higher academically. Is it because they are naturally smart or something? I am normally a student who gets fairly above average (6s or 7s). This year I don't know something happened and like everything has flipped. It's like a horror movie.

I have been trying my absolute hardest to do revision and study over the summer (space it out) but I just can't. I know some of my friends that are able to do a massive amounts of revision/studying with ease and get good grades. Is there like some technique or trick I need to know about. Please help!!! I got at least 8 months before my GCSEs and I am panicking the hell out. I feel guilty that I haven't done as much work as I could have and have been lying to my parents about it. Please!!!!! Anybody got practical tricks or secret techniques they'd like to share?

(I need good tips/techniques/tricks that actually work and an explanation how you guys applied it.)

hi, this year I'm heading to year 11 and i currently face some of your issues. those people who get really good grades yet don't revise will certainly not get good grades in their real exams, that is because without revision and exam practice, their exam answers are most likely to not appear in the mark scheme as they wont be familiar to exam style writing and questions. my biggest tip is to not look at other peoples progress, you should only focus on your own. if you worry that you aren't as good as other people, you will be less likely to improve yourself. another tip is to get some motivation. have a reason to get good results because that can make you want to revise. another tip is to not overload with work. if you aren't able to handle so much work, don't do it. instead create a timetable where you can get the amount of work you want to complete done as well as have fun. if you don't relax your stress levels can rise. theres nearly two weeks till year 11 and my tip is you need to start planning your revision, by making a timetable. remember to work smarter and not harder. its not the hours that make you get good grades, its the way you revise. i suggest going over topics for all subjects in week one (an hour per subject per day), spending more time on the topics your less confident in than the ones you are confident in, and on the second week, do so much exam practice. i know this sounds super cheesy but practice makes you perfect. you don't understand how much practice boosted my grades. when you go to year 11, revise 2 hours everyday (monday to Friday) and do two practice papers for the subject(s) you do for that day. on Saturday and sunday, do 5 hours of revision with breaks and then do 3 exam papers. i hope this makes sense, i know i said a lot but i hope this helps. good luck :smile::smile::smile:
What are good revision techniques that get you those grade 8/9s? All I know is to read over the content, make notes in a book or make a mindmap. Now of these seem to be working for me.

Quick Reply

Latest