Problems With Thread Formatting? Watch

Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So, this problem has happened to me twice now (I asked for one to be deleted in case it was because of the thread; but upon creating the new thread, the same thing occurred) when creating GYG threads. Once I finish formatting the thread, one of three things occur, and it's really frustrating:

1. Font sizes change randomly

2. Random spaces are implemented

3. Instead of pressing the backspace or enter key once for it to carry out the command, it requires pressing twice.

Take my thread for example:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6071816

The most noticeable at the moment is the random spaces; they just keep being implemented even though I save without them.

Font sizes do change, but not as common as the random spaces.

My thesis is that there may be a problem with the Grow Your Grades? But obviously I can't con firm this as I haven't tried it on other forms

I was perhaps wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem? Or has a solution to it?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Strelzo)
So, this problem has happened to me twice now (I asked for one to be deleted in case it was because of the thread; but upon creating the new thread, the same thing occurred) when creating GYG threads. Once I finish formatting the thread, one of three things occur, and it's really frustrating:

1. Font sizes change randomly

2. Random spaces are implemented

3. Instead of pressing the backspace or enter key once for it to carry out the command, it requires pressing twice.

Take my thread for example:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6071816

The most noticeable at the moment is the random spaces; they just keep being implemented even though I save without them.

Font sizes do change, but not as common as the random spaces.

My thesis is that there may be a problem with the Grow Your Grades? But obviously I can't con firm this as I haven't tried it on other forms

I was perhaps wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem? Or has a solution to it?
By the spacing issues, do you mean like line spacing?
This unusually happens when particularly big TSR emoticons are used, e.g. :dots:

You should be able to change font sizewhen editing your post, if you click the button for advanced options It's listed next to the button that looks like: T^

The pressing twice thing I've had when I've got lots of BB formatting code (e.g. hyperlinking a bold, italics sentence which had been sized up).
Strelzo
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
By the spacing issues, do you mean like line spacing?
This unusually happens when particularly big TSR emoticons are used, e.g. :dots:

You should be able to change font sizewhen editing your post, if you click the button for advanced options It's listed next to the button that looks like: T^

The pressing twice thing I've had when I've got lots of BB formatting code (e.g. hyperlinking a bold, italics sentence which had been sized up).
Not line spacing, I mean as in it automatically creates random free lines. If you have a look at my thread, you can see where there are random free lines (I will only ever have one line free (by pressing the enter button once at the end of a word where I wish it to be) between words every time I go on to write a new sentence/paragraph.

For example, my headings:

I have one line free between a spoiler above, then the heading, and then one line free between the spoiler below, but (And oh! This is another problem that just came back to me, it automatically centres text as well) it will add random lines that I definitely did not put there.

So, it is supposed to look like this:

Spoiler:
Show
Sample text

About me

Spoiler:
Show
Sample text

But instead, it could look something like this:

Spoiler:
Show
Sample text

About me

Spoiler:
Show
Sample text

So it just looks extremely weird, and is very irritating.

That's the problem with fonts; I keep setting the fonts to one size, some will stay and then some will become completely randomised for no apparent reason.

As for the BB Code, I might remove that if that is causing one of the problems.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Not line spacing, I mean as in it automatically creates random free lines. If you have a look at my thread, you can see where there are random free lines (I will only ever have one line free (by pressing the enter button once at the end of a word where I wish it to be) between words every time I go on to write a new sentence/paragraph.

For example, my headings:

I have one line free between a spoiler above, then the heading, and then one line free between the spoiler below, but (And oh! This is another problem that just came back to me, it automatically centres text as well) it will add random lines that I definitely did not put there.

So, it is supposed to look like this:

Spoiler:
Show
Sample text

About me

Spoiler:
Show
Sample text

But instead, it could look something like this:

Spoiler:
Show
Sample text

About me

Spoiler:
Show
Sample text

So it just looks extremely weird, and is very irritating.

That's the problem with fonts; I keep setting the fonts to one size, some will stay and then some will become completely randomised for no apparent reason.

As for the BB Code, I might remove that if that is causing one of the problems.
If you press the button that looks like this:
You can switch the view into BB Code and editing your post (including spacing, font size etc.) might be a lot easier.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Even there, it just formatted itself.

That "About me" text; I had it centred.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
You can switch the view into BB Code and editing your post (including spacing, font size etc.) might be a lot easier.
Alright, I'll give it a shot.

(Before I do, I was just editing my post there and literally everything I said just happened lol; literally makes no sense).
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Alright, I'll give it a shot.

(Before I do, I was just editing my post there and literally everything I said just happened lol; literally makes no sense).
If you need any help, 8472 will be happy to offer assistance. :yy:
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Puddles the Monkey
Strelzo
Rep:
?
If you need any help, 8472 will be happy to offer assistance. :yy:
Alright, cool :0
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
MdE77 Amusing Elk

This weird adding spaces in lines bug is back :beard:

Strelzo I think it is to do with centering the text... :beard:
Strelzo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
MdE77 Amusing Elk

Ah alright, thanks for informing me; at least I know what it causing it now. :^_^:
MdE77
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
MdE77 Amusing Elk

Thanks, we'll get on it and investigate.

Court Jester QA1
Strelzo
Rep:
?
So just completed the prolonged task of editing the source code. It worked partially, certainly better than before (if only I had known that there was this button to begin with, because I'm an absolute coding geek :ahee:). That at least eliminates some of the problems. I have thoroughly went through line by line to ensure no errors, and there is none; there is a definite problem with the "random adding spaces in lines" bug, as can be seen on my thread, which was noted to be fixed.

Thanks for informing me of the source code button by the way :thumbsup:.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.24%
12.4%
12.28%
18.03%
23.19%
19.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed