The Student Room Group

Retakes

Which Law universities accept retakes? I firmed UCL but missed my offer, but kinda decided I wanted to take a gap year anyway and thought I'd improve my grades to reach A*AA (I'll also be taking up 1 or 2 subjects in a year). I'm looking at Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, etc.
To add, I live in London (it would've taken me a couple mins on the bus to get to UCL) and I'd like to stay relatively nearby.
Reply 2
Original post by Aaryra
Which Law universities accept retakes? I firmed UCL but missed my offer, but kinda decided I wanted to take a gap year anyway and thought I'd improve my grades to reach A*AA (I'll also be taking up 1 or 2 subjects in a year). I'm looking at Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, etc.

Hey! I took a gap year and worked with yipiyap. It's a good job if you need to do resits because you have plenty of time to revise as you work during the school day. Look and see if they are available in your area!
Reply 3
Very convenient.

I sat my A-Levels first time round and got BBD, resat them and today achieved A*AB and off to Exeter :smile:

Resits are definitely a good idea if you feel you didn’t reach your potential but the ones you’ve mentioned are out of reach.

I emailed all the “good” unis to ask for their stance on resits before applying and LSE, UCL and Oxbridge point blank said they wouldn’t accept them. Leeds, KCL, Bristol and Warwick also said the same.

Ones you might want to consider who accept resits are Exeter, Nottingham, Manchester, York, Southampton, Birmingham and Newcastle. Durham also said they did but I reckon you’d be disadvantaged.

I don’t know if any of those appeal but you won’t be able to reach the ones you’ve mentioned and you’d be rejected outright.

What did you achieve this time round?
Original post by Arisapo
Very convenient.

I sat my A-Levels first time round and got BBD, resat them and today achieved A*AB and off to Exeter :smile:

Resits are definitely a good idea if you feel you didn’t reach your potential but the ones you’ve mentioned are out of reach.

I emailed all the “good” unis to ask for their stance on resits before applying and LSE, UCL and Oxbridge point blank said they wouldn’t accept them. Leeds, KCL, Bristol and Warwick also said the same.

Ones you might want to consider who accept resits are Exeter, Nottingham, Manchester, York, Southampton, Birmingham and Newcastle. Durham also said they did but I reckon you’d be disadvantaged.

I don’t know if any of those appeal but you won’t be able to reach the ones you’ve mentioned and you’d be rejected outright.

Is it not different if I’m picking up two a levels though?

I didn’t do great😳A*BB
Original post by Arisapo
Very convenient.

Can you present the retake info neatly somewhere so we can quote it independent of context.
Reply 6
New thread made for anyone who’ll find it useful.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6080820
Reply 7
Original post by Aaryra
Is it not different if I’m picking up two a levels though?

I didn’t do great😳A*BB

A*BB is a good set of grades so don’t be too disheartened.

I think the policies would be the same but you can email in case. The elite ones you mentioned would likely be out of reach though.

Picking up 2 new A-Levels in a year would be unbelievably hard as well, especially if you’re doing it independently. From experience, I wouldn’t advise it.
Original post by Arisapo
A*BB is a good set of grades so don’t be too disheartened.

I think the policies would be the same but you can email in case. The elite ones you mentioned would likely be out of reach though.

Picking up 2 new A-Levels in a year would be unbelievably hard as well, especially if you’re doing it independently. From experience, I wouldn’t advise it.

I live near some expensive fancy independent sixth form centre. They do stuff like this all the time seemingly! I’ll keep your advice in mind.

Okay I’ll contact them soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending