Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been in recovery from anorexia for a couple of years now and am in the process of applying to medical school. My anorexia is being managed and I am slowly getting better and have insight. I am aware of the need to be honest on the form but was wondering what would happen if in the weight and height section my bmi was slightly under 18.5 as it is something I have really struggled with getting beyond this despite it now being above 18 which has been a bit of a battle. Do you think I would be refused entry into a course for this?
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been in recovery from anorexia for a couple of years now and am in the process of applying to medical school. My anorexia is being managed and I am slowly getting better and have insight. I am aware of the need to be honest on the form but was wondering what would happen if in the weight and height section my bmi was slightly under 18.5 as it is something I have really struggled with getting beyond this despite it now being above 18 which has been a bit of a battle. Do you think I would be refused entry into a course for this?
Hey, sorry you've not had any replies to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon!

I've moved this over to Medicine, where people are more likely to know the answer to your question :yep:
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think you are correct in saying you should be honest on the form. that way you can get extra support during your medical degree.

I don't think this will stop you gaining a place, but it may be a concern for the medical school going forward, and they may refer you to occupational health for some help.

I know of 2 students who have battled annorexia during their medical degree, both took a year out for recovery purposes and are now thriving. remember many doctors also are patients, you don't have to have a clean bill of health to study medicines, you just need to upfront and willing to work on your struggles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (93)
58.13%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.25%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.5%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (11)
6.88%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.63%

Watched Threads