The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to a non top 15 University??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra
Try ringing around tomorrow and see what's still on offer :smile:

You have to go where feels right for you.

Good luck!

I will do, just asking do you reckon a University which asked for BBB for clearing will lower it tomorrow or the day after? Like I don't know if its worth recalling them over and over.
Original post by Rohan George
I will do, just asking do you reckon a University which asked for BBB for clearing will lower it tomorrow or the day after? Like I don't know if its worth recalling them over and over.

Some might, some might not. It's impossible to say. Some may drop their grades, it depends on external and internal factors.

You have nothing to lose by ringing so give it a go. All of them will be open over the weekend too :smile:
Hey I know exactly what you're feeling. I didn't get into my top school because my grades were a little off. I ended up going through clearing (so I know the feeling of total panic that you're probably feeling). You probably want to hear something straight forward, so I'll give it to you. Going to a university that isn't highly ranked might hurt you in the long run because of the connections you lost or the lack of a prestigious degree at a great school. However, you don't have to necessarily go to a uni that's in the top 15. going to a uni in the top 30 is still great!

I went through clearing and got accepted into Bristol University for biomed and I heard their biochem course is really good!
Original post by angiepangi
Hey I know exactly what you're feeling. I didn't get into my top school because my grades were a little off. I ended up going through clearing (so I know the feeling of total panic that you're probably feeling). You probably want to hear something straight forward, so I'll give it to you. Going to a university that isn't highly ranked might hurt you in the long run because of the connections you lost or the lack of a prestigious degree at a great school. However, you don't have to necessarily go to a uni that's in the top 15. going to a uni in the top 30 is still great!

I went through clearing and got accepted into Bristol University for biomed and I heard their biochem course is really good!

My uni aren't even top 30 :frown: more top 70 but thanks for the advice!
Maybe take a gap year retake the c subject bring it up to an A n reapply for the uni u want is it possible to get anything remarked
For those who say degrees from low-tier Unis ‘aren’t worth much’, I went to a rather low tier Uni, worked hard and got a 1st. I applied and got an offer to a RG uni for an MSc.

There’s a 100+ league table position difference between my UG and PG unis...

My degree must be worth something if I’m getting offers to my PG course over those with degrees from other RG unis.

I was also told at my interview that unless it’s Oxbridge, it’s the content of your degree and your knowledge which matters, not the building/geographical location you were awarded it from.
Reply 26
Yeah but I got BBC so no top Universities [near me] asking for that grade range I really want to go to Uni of Liverpool though

Why do they need to be "near you"?

And there's always the option of Liverpool for an MSc.
Original post by Doones
Why do they need to be "near you"?

And there's always the option of Liverpool for an MSc.

I don't want to be too far away from my family and what do you mean ??

If u plan on doing a master than u can go to one of the the universities u mention n then do a master at liverpool or top 15 university then it doent really matter where u did ur undergraduate
Reply 29

Original post by amal99
If u plan on doing a master than u can go to one of the the universities u mention n then do a master at liverpool or top 15 university then it doent really matter where u did ur undergraduate

This. Do your BSc (undergrad) at the uni through clearing (if you like it and their course), and then your MSc (masters) at Liverpool.
Reply 30
What would you guys do if you were in my situation [be ruthlessly honest] ?

I would take a year out and reapply. Honestly it will go by so quickly and you’ll have the chance to get work experience/a job before you graduate which will be a huge boost on your cv. In my brutally honest opinion, the cold hard truth is that your friend is correct.
Is the 'near me' non- negotiable? Have you found places further afield at higher ranking universities?
I mean ... yes... I was one grade off clearing for the Uni I wanted to go to which is a red brick Uni

You could still do a masters or PhD at a top university later. In academia they don't discriminate on where you studied (with the possible exception of Oxbridge). Plenty of graduates from lower ranked universities have done well out of attending so-called weaker universities. The key is to get a 2.1 or 1st class degree, plus placement experience.
Reply 33
Original post by StarLinyx
You could still do a masters or PhD at a top university later. In academia they don't discriminate on where you studied (with the possible exception of Oxbridge).

Oxbridge doesn't either :smile:
Original post by Doones

Do Oxbridge take graduates from places like London Met for, say, Physics MSc courses?
So I missed out on my main choice for doing Biochemistry at University of Liverpool and therefore got put into clearance.

I got offers from Salford + John Moores and Huddersfield for Biochemistry and I'm not sure which one to take and therefore I asked my smart[ass] friend and he said in his opinion its better to not go to Uni than go to Salford or John Moores and said that its not worth going to Uni thats not top 15 as a degree from a low tier uni wont be worth much.

Is this true?? Also for bonus points where do you guys think I should apply?? :/

While many people go to top 15 universities, many don't. If you think about it, your degree means a lot compared to your A Levels. E.g. if you study psychology at Leeds Beckett, which isn't a top 15 university, you're still going to be a hell of a lot more employable than someone who just took A Level psychology. This notion that going to top whatever unis is crucial is bs. I know many successful people who have gone to lower ranked unis or even not at all. By that I mean just your average working class people, because working class doesn't mean inferior or unsuccessful. If you're thinking about good unis that aren't as higher ranked, consider Leicester, York, Birmingham etc.
Original post by Doones

How do you know this please do you have examples and in what subject areas?
I've just graduated from LJMU with BSc Chemistry and am starting a masters in Queens University Belfast in September. My year was the first year they had done their chemistry course and honestly it was brilliant, not to nitpick but some of modules we covered aren't being covered elsewhere and we had instruments that Uni of Liverpool don't have. People really knock LJMU because it's not high in the uni tables. I would recommend going to uni this year (I bet you'll enjoy it) and then you can go on to whatever uni you want to for further study.
Overall I'd say it carries some weight but it's course dependant. Engineering, medicine and a few others you can do pretty much anywhere so long as the course is accredited.
Reply 39
Original post by StarLinyx
Do Oxbridge take graduates from places like London Met for, say, Physics MSc courses?

Yes. (Although London Met doesn't have a Physics course.)

There are MPhils at Cambridge who previously studied at London Met.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending