The Student Room Group

Pearson edexcel are a mess and made me miss my offer

Right so I had an offer for imperial college London for a*a*a, I achieved a*aaa. With a* in maths and a in fm,chemo and physics. With an a in chemistry being 4 marks of an a* . Why I am extremely upset and angered is my a in physics. The exam board had lost my papers and had to make an average (anyone who did edexcel physics would know paper one was ridiculous, I got a b in paper two and a high a* in paper1/ 3) . They had lost paper two which I believe I absolutely smashed 75-80+. But as the exam board have lost my paper it is now only an a grade and I have missed my offer. College have been in contact with Pearson but I fear the worse. Imperial said they will let me in if my grade gets changed before the 31st of August to an a* but Pearson themselves have said they may not be able to change it, if at all before then. So due to Pearson edexcel I have missed my offer. What I am asking is does anyone have a similar experience or heard of anything similar as it is a first for my college and for imperial. Just to try to help me feel abit better/ less anxious.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrygardner
Right so I had an offer for imperial college London for a*a*a, I achieved a*aaa. With a* in maths and a in fm,chemo and physics. With an a in chemistry being 4 marks of an a* . Why I am extremely upset and angered is my a in physics. The exam board had lost my papers and had to make an average (anyone who did edexcel physics would know paper one was ridiculous, I got a b in paper one and a high a* in paper 3) . They had lost paper two which I believe I absolutely smashed 75-80+. But as the exam board have lost my paper it is now only an a grade and I have missed my offer. College have been in contact with Pearson but I fear the worse. Imperial said they will let me in if my grade gets changed before the 31st of August to an a* but Pearson themselves have said they may not be able to change it, if at all before then. So due to Pearson edexcel I have missed my offer. What I am asking is does anyone have a similar experience or heard of anything similar as it is a first for my college and for imperial. Just to try to help me feel abit better/ less anxious.

This sounds really tough :frown: I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Would it be worth getting the chemistry remarked? It going up 4 marks is not impossible and it's maybe worth a try for Imperial?

Did you get into your insurance uni?
Reply 2
That is a disgrace, actually

Do you have some recourse to complain? I don't know what else you might do
Reply 3
Examiners losing a paper... that is just incompetent.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
This sounds really tough :frown: I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Would it be worth getting the chemistry remarked? It going up 4 marks is not impossible and it's maybe worth a try for Imperial?

Did you get into your insurance uni?

I got into my insurance but it’s Birmingham and it was only a proper back up option in case everything failed. I just feel disappointed mostly
Original post by gjd800

Do you have some recourse to complain? I don't know what else you might do

Yea the principal has made a complaint
Original post by gjd800

Do you have some recourse to complain?

Hi this is what the college said to me
Reply 7
Yea the principal has made a complaint

Terrible form on behalf of the board. I hope that you get this sorted
does Anyone have an idea of what will happen? Will I get an a* or like what lmao
does Anyone have an idea of what will happen? Will I get an a* or like what lmao

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's such an unusual thing to happen that I don't know if anyone will be able to advise you on remarking a paper that has been lost. It would be easier to remark a paper that they have access to (i.e. chemistry), but there's no guarantee
Original post by Interrobang
I'm really sorry to hear that. It's such an unusual thing to happen that I don't know if anyone will be able to advise you on remarking a paper that has been lost. It would be easier to remark a paper that they have access to (i.e. chemistry), but there's no guarantee

Yea the thing is tho it’s thag I know I got an a*? If you get me x all I did was revise for physics since christmas
Yea the thing is tho it’s thag I know I got an a*? If you get me x all I did was revise for physics since christmas

It's something that is difficult to prove at this stage though unfortunately

So the school said it would follow up if you give them permission? I think you should follow through with that if you think the overall grade is lower than you would have got!

Would you keep us informed on what you do? Is there anything we can do to help?
Original post by Evil Homer
So the school said it would follow up if you give them permission? I think you should follow through with that if you think the overall grade is lower than you would have got!

Would you keep us informed on what you do? Is there anything we can do to help?

I already have told them , to do as much as they can. Unless you can get me a place at imperial college London ,help me find my lost paper, or help me burn Down Pearson’s executive offices I don’t think so but Thankyou !(btw the arson thing was a joke before I get arrested)
This is appalling @harrygardner - I'm so sorry this has happened :frown:

We're here for you.
Thankyou everyone x luckily a*aaa is still good grades x and I’ll be off into mechanical engineering if nothing changed
Hi this is what the college said to me

Tell them to appeal and explain the circumstances that you outlined in your OP. Can they say that you were predicted an A* in physics and had been achieving A*s in mocks, or is that not the case?
Right so I had an offer for imperial college London for a*a*a, I achieved a*aaa. With a* in maths and a in fm,chemo and physics. With an a in chemistry being 4 marks of an a* . Why I am extremely upset and angered is my a in physics. The exam board had lost my papers and had to make an average (anyone who did edexcel physics would know paper one was ridiculous, I got a b in paper one and a high a* in paper 3) . They had lost paper two which I believe I absolutely smashed 75-80+. But as the exam board have lost my paper it is now only an a grade and I have missed my offer. College have been in contact with Pearson but I fear the worse. Imperial said they will let me in if my grade gets changed before the 31st of August to an a* but Pearson themselves have said they may not be able to change it, if at all before then. So due to Pearson edexcel I have missed my offer. What I am asking is does anyone have a similar experience or heard of anything similar as it is a first for my college and for imperial. Just to try to help me feel abit better/ less anxious.

I was getting bored of these threads and expecting yours to be along similar lines. I have sympathy though.
I cant see how Pearson can change it? They have followed what they might do if you miss an exam.
What you need to show is how certain grades on paper 2 would have affected your overall mark.
its worth a complaint.

If Imperial is your dream I would explain to imperial, see if they accept resit and take a gap.
Original post by Palmyra
Tell them to appeal and explain the circumstances that you outlined in your OP. Can they say that you were predicted an A* in physics and had been achieving A*s in mocks, or is that not the case?

That’s wa sthe case x I smashed an a* in the 2018 papers .
I got into my insurance but it’s Birmingham and it was only a proper back up option in case everything failed. I just feel disappointed mostly

I see.

My suggestions would be to investigate getting a remark for chemistry and complain to Pearson about the lost paper.

Whilst this is going on it may be worth ringing unis in clearing to see if they might offer you a place that you prefer to Birmingham?

Quick Reply

Latest