The Student Room Group

Pearson edexcel are a mess and made me miss my offer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarcAndSpark
I see.

My suggestions would be to investigate getting a remark for chemistry and complain to Pearson about the lost paper.

Whilst this is going on it may be worth ringing unis in clearing to see if they might offer you a place that you prefer to Birmingham?

Rather take a gap year and get into a world class uni instead x
Just a thought that it may be worth going to the press- might push Pearson into taking some action?
Original post by harrygardner
Rather take a gap year and get into a world class uni instead x

If you're happy to take a gap year that's an option too.

If you're not interested in clearing that's fine but it may be worth having a look at what's oyt there.
I’m worried about going to the press as maybe it will make them not change their choice
I’m worried about going to the press as maybe it will make them not change their choice

This is not Edexcel's fault necessarily as it could have gone astray in the post or a number of other places ie in your school. They have applied the rules as they stand for dealing with this. Ask for copies of your scripts [Edexcel are free] and get your teachers to check the marking tomorrow.
Original post by Muttley79
This is not Edexcel's fault necessarily as it could have gone astray in the post or a number of other places ie in your school. They have applied the rules as they stand for dealing with this. Ask for copies of your scripts [Edexcel are free] and get your teachers to check the marking tomorrow.

How exam boards distribute/collect their exam papers is entirely up to their discretion and thus their responsibility.
Original post by Palmyra
How exam boards distribute/collect their exam papers is entirely up to their discretion and thus their responsibility.

How do we know the school did not lose it before it was sent off?

No it’s edexcels , the college has proof my papers were sent off. I can’t get the scripts as I don’t have an exam to mark....???
No it’s edexcels , the college has proof my papers were sent off. I can’t get the scripts as I don’t have an exam to mark....???

How can they prove your paper was in the pack? Surely all they know is the pack was posted/collected?

They can remark the other two surely?
(edited 4 years ago)
How can they prove your paper was in the pack? Surely all they know is the pack was posted/collected?

They can remark the other two surely?

I don’t think you’re understanding. Pearson themselves have apologised it’s pearson not my college...
Reply 30
This is outrageous! Can't you sue them? I can't even begin to imagine what it feels to be in this position because of some idiot's actions.

I don't understand how people even suggest that you take a gap year or go to an inferior Uni without even failing.

I'm sorry, but I would assign a good lawyer to your case if I were in your parents' shoes. Not everyone can secure a place in Imperial and noone should deprive you from this offer especially this way.

I am absolutely furious reading about your situation. I have a daughter who is in Imperial and a son who is starting Uni this fall at the University of Leeds and I really feel for you.

I hope everything works out for you. Imperial might not be the perfect institution you would imagine, -they certainly have their flaws-, but I honestly will keep my fingers crossed for you! 🤞🤞🤞🍀
Imperial should have let you in, Did you explain to them that Edexcel lost your paper and show them proof of the letter
Report to ofqual and they should fine Edexcel.
Right so I had an offer for imperial college London for a*a*a, I achieved a*aaa. With a* in maths and a in fm,chemo and physics. With an a in chemistry being 4 marks of an a* . Why I am extremely upset and angered is my a in physics. The exam board had lost my papers and had to make an average (anyone who did edexcel physics would know paper one was ridiculous, I got a b in paper one and a high a* in paper 3) . They had lost paper two which I believe I absolutely smashed 75-80+. But as the exam board have lost my paper it is now only an a grade and I have missed my offer. College have been in contact with Pearson but I fear the worse. Imperial said they will let me in if my grade gets changed before the 31st of August to an a* but Pearson themselves have said they may not be able to change it, if at all before then. So due to Pearson edexcel I have missed my offer. What I am asking is does anyone have a similar experience or heard of anything similar as it is a first for my college and for imperial. Just to try to help me feel abit better/ less anxious.

Nah man, that ain't right.

I'm sorry if I sound rash, but this is unacceptable from the exam board. They can't be playing around with students' futures like that.

If it were me, I'd take it to the press and find out which examiner lost that paper. I'd get everything about that and fully understand the situation that I'll now have to deal with to get into the firm I want to go to.

I've read this over 4-5 times throughout the day and still feel for you. You don't deserve this at all.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by KJEKJE Says Hi
Nah man, that ain't right.

I'm sorry if I sound rash, but this is unacceptable from the exam board. They can't be playing around with students' futures like that.

If it were me, I'd take it to the press and find out which examiner lost that paper. I'd get everything about that and fully understand the situation that I'll now have to deal with to get into the firm I want to go to.

I've read this over 4-5 times throughout the day and still feel for you. You don't deserve this at all.

The Only way an Exam Paper could get lost is between when the school sends it off and when it arrives at the Exam Centre.
So I think it was probably the Post Man.
I don’t think you’re understanding. Pearson themselves have apologised it’s pearson not my college...

That's a standard response - if it arrived it would have been scanned. What about getting hold of the other two papers? That's the first step.
I don’t need the other two papers.... I don’t think you understand I got a* in those and the paper which was lost , and estimated was not marked as a*
Original post by lionike123
Imperial should have let you in, Did you explain to them that Edexcel lost your paper and show them proof of the letter
Report to ofqual and they should fine Edexcel.

That's a standard response - if it arrived it would have been scanned. What about getting hold of the other two papers? That's the first step.
I don’t need the other two papers.... I don’t think you understand I got a* in those and the paper which was lost , and estimated was not marked as a*

Didjdt. Mean to quote you lionlike

Going to the press? Really? You have lost the plot.
See I was saying I wasn’t wanting to go to the press^ can no one on the student room read??
Reply 39
Original post by 999tigger
Going to the press? Really? You have lost the plot.

Why? It makes sense to, how else will they be held accountable for what they've done?

Quick Reply

Latest