The Student Room Group

A level further maths remark

I found out today that I got an A on further maths but I was two marks off an A*. Should I go for a remark? Would there be a high chance of my marks going down?
Reply 1
What would be the implications if it did you down? Would your university place be in jeopardy? How many marks would it have to go down by to be a 'B'?
Original post by Janej77
I found out today that I got an A on further maths but I was two marks off an A*. Should I go for a remark? Would there be a high chance of my marks going down?

Given maths isn't very subjective and you're near the boundary, you will definitely not down a grade. So yeah it's safe to go for a remark, but might not be worth the money and effort if your offer doesn't depend on it
Original post by ajj2000
What would be the implications if it did you down? Would your university place be in jeopardy? How many marks would it have to go down by to be a 'B'?

I have not apply to uni yet and plans to have a gap yr. I got 246 marks. For me to get a B, it would have to go down to 203.
Reply 4
Original post by Janej77
I have not apply to uni yet and plans to have a gap yr. I got 246 marks. For me to get a B, it would have to go down to 203.

Cool - I would consider a remark in those circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by Janej77

Which board? You can get your Exams Officer to download Edexcel papers free and go through with the mark scheme yourself to see whether they missed any marks.
Original post by TCL
Which board? You can get your Exams Officer to download Edexcel papers free and go through with the mark scheme yourself to see whether they missed any marks.

Edexcel. Do you mean my own paper or a plain exam paper?
Reply 7
Original post by Janej77
Edexcel. Do you mean my own paper or a plain exam paper?

Your exams officer can download your script instantly for no charge.
Original post by TCL
Your exams officer can download your script instantly for no charge.

Do I ask my teacher to do this for me?
Reply 9
Original post by Janej77
Do I ask my teacher to do this for me?

Depends on your school/college. Our school has a "post exams services" form which is given out with the results. To request scripts we fill in form and take to exams office. You can check your school website or call the exams officer if you have one. Any membet of staff at your school/college cam tell you their system but it can be difficult getting hold if staff in the summer.

Good luck!
Original post by TCL
Depends on your school/college. Our school has a "post exams services" form which is given out with the results. To request scripts we fill in form and take to exams office. You can check your school website or call the exams officer if you have one. Any membet of staff at your school/college cam tell you their system but it can be difficult getting hold if staff in the summer.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! You’ve been very helpful!
Reply 11
Original post by Janej77
Thank you so much! You’ve been very helpful!

Don't forget to ask for mark schemes too as they are available to school but locked for the public.
Original post by Janej77

@NickJCQq please advise :smile:
Original post by Janej77

If you are thinking of taking a Gap Year and not going to University this Autumn, then a review of marking is probably the best course of action. You might want to ask your teacher whether it is desirable to receive copies of the scripts you would potentially like reviewed. This would show you where you gained marks and crucially where you lost marks. So ask your school/college about priority copies of scripts and then a review of marking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending