The Student Room Group

SFE nightmare (please please help!!)

Okay, so I'm going crazy out of my mind and need someone who knows what they,re talking about.

Back when I was 19 (am now 24) I started a law degree but also got diagnosed with a medical condition. I ended up taking first year three times (the third after obtaining compelling personal circumstance). I still had major complications with my condition in the third year and ended up just dropping out.

Now, years later my life is back on track and I am set to start a different degree (less stressful one!) at a different uni. I was originally advised that because I'd only used up one year (minus the first two which received compelling reasons) I had three years of finance left (4 minus the third first year attempt = three). I plan to have the third first year written off in the same manner, but I'm not sure that's relevant now.

Two days ago I received a letter telling me that I was overpaid in year 3 because I wasn't entitled to the grant, the reason being that I wasn't entitled to a grant if I had repeated first year more than once, regardless of compelling reasons. Apparently I had been 'reassessed, by an assessor'.

So now I'm freaking out. Not only because they want me to pay over £2000 back but also because, according to this information, I probably won't be approved a grant for this coming year, which means I'll need to find £4000 from somewhere.

Is this the case???

I really don't know with SFE anymore. Before this I'd rang them up five times over the course of a few months (to ask how to go about applying again) and I have been told the *complete* opposite every time, apologising for their previous mistakes (which now means I won't get SF anywhere close to on time).

My stress/depression levels are in overload and to top it off the guy from the student loans company was really unhelpful and aggressive with me, like a debt collector.

I'm so worried that not only will they want £2000, but that they also won't give me the full grant. I don't have £4000.
Original post by SirStudiesalot
Okay, so I'm going crazy out of my mind and need someone who knows what they,re talking about.

Back when I was 19 (am now 24) I started a law degree but also got diagnosed with a medical condition. I ended up taking first year three times (the third after obtaining compelling personal circumstance). I still had major complications with my condition in the third year and ended up just dropping out.

Now, years later my life is back on track and I am set to start a different degree (less stressful one!) at a different uni. I was originally advised that because I'd only used up one year (minus the first two which received compelling reasons) I had three years of finance left (4 minus the third first year attempt = three). I plan to have the third first year written off in the same manner, but I'm not sure that's relevant now.

Two days ago I received a letter telling me that I was overpaid in year 3 because I wasn't entitled to the grant, the reason being that I wasn't entitled to a grant if I had repeated first year more than once, regardless of compelling reasons. Apparently I had been 'reassessed, by an assessor'.

So now I'm freaking out. Not only because they want me to pay over £2000 back but also because, according to this information, I probably won't be approved a grant for this coming year, which means I'll need to find £4000 from somewhere.

Is this the case???

I really don't know with SFE anymore. Before this I'd rang them up five times over the course of a few months (to ask how to go about applying again) and I have been told the *complete* opposite every time, apologising for their previous mistakes (which now means I won't get SF anywhere close to on time).

My stress/depression levels are in overload and to top it off the guy from the student loans company was really unhelpful and aggressive with me, like a debt collector.

I'm so worried that not only will they want £2000, but that they also won't give me the full grant. I don't have £4000.

Okay, so can I clarify what you've told us?

Year 1: funded
Year 1 (2nd attempt): funded
Year 1 (3rd attempt): funded but with compelling reasons?

From your OP, I can't tell which years you have successfully received compelling reasons for, and therefore which years 'count' as already used.
If they deem that you've been overpaid, they won't provide you with more finance until you've paid back the previous over-payment.

It might be worth contacting your prospective university's finance team and asking them for advice. SFE do unfortunately occasionally provide mis-information, so you should always get anything that's told to you in writing.
Sorry, stressing out not making any sense...

Y1: Compelling reasons
Y2 (1st attempt): compelling reasons
Y3 (2nd attempt: no CPR (though I plan to when I have the time)

So that means one year of SF used up. So I should have three left?

The reason given for the £2k overpayment was that ‘you can’t get a grant if you re-repeat a year, regardless of CPR’.

This doesn’t seem to add up with everything else I was previously told.

But my other great worry is that, since I’m starting again in Sept (albeit on a different course/different uni) it will technically be a fourth first year, so I won’t be ‘granted’ a grant on the above information (limited number of times one can repeat a year).

Advice?
Original post by SirStudiesalot
Sorry, stressing out not making any sense...

Y1: Compelling reasons
Y2 (1st attempt): compelling reasons
Y3 (2nd attempt: no CPR (though I plan to when I have the time)

So that means one year of SF used up. So I should have three left?

The reason given for the £2k overpayment was that ‘you can’t get a grant if you re-repeat a year, regardless of CPR’.

This doesn’t seem to add up with everything else I was previously told.

But my other great worry is that, since I’m starting again in Sept (albeit on a different course/different uni) it will technically be a fourth first year, so I won’t be ‘granted’ a grant on the above information (limited number of times one can repeat a year).

Advice?

It's quite a complicated situation, so I definitely think you need to talk directly to someone at your university who can hopefully get a straight answer from Student Finance.

It looks as though you should have 3 years of funding remaining (if you go by length of course + 1 gift year) if your new course is 3 years long - at least the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan anyway. However, given that SF are telling you something a bit different, it's worth corroborating this with someone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending