better luck next time, soup! yr13 gyg Watch

soup.bucket
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
10/09/19
Today was a good day, but I've got a fair bit of work ahead of me for tomorrow. That's fine - I need to get in the habit of doing more work anyway.

Double Maths:
Today we looked more at other forms of differentiation - chain, product, and quotient rule. Also realised I needed a bit of a recap on logarithms and exponentials from AS. Still the lessons went ok, and I'm fine with the content - I did fare better on the quotient rule than the others tho ngl.

AS Chem:
It was on covalent and ionic bonding today, as well as a mention of dative covalent bonding - I'm quite enjoying chemistry so far, however it's only been the first 3 lessons of AS so I shouldn't be so quick on judgement. I have an assessment on Thursday about the stuff we've covered this week and the booklet I was given on Monday. I'll do some revision for it, but it's basically GCSE content so I won't be too stressed over it.

Supervised Study:
I looked at a few of my questions from my AS FM pure paper (that I have to finish for tomorrow), but other than that we didn't do a whole lot of studying in this lesson - it was fused with form a bit. Either way, I'd rather have just gotten a free as I feel I would've gotten more work done.

Free:
I looked at some more questions from the further maths paper, and also took some time to research the books and films for A level Polish (I might be getting entered for it) as well as the research topics and topics that will be asked about on the exam. I'm going to ask my mam which ones she would recommend me, and one of my friends (who did AS English lit) advised me to do 1 book, 1 film to analyse, as opposed to 2 books. I think it's good advice

Tags:

Spoiler:
Show
soup.bucket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
11/09/19
Today was another decent day - I got my lessons done and not a whole lot of homework was given. I also signed up for the CyberDiscovery for which I have until the 25th of October to finish the CyberStart Assess. As I am unsure of my desired career path in computer science, I thought this would be good to have as a further extracurricular. At least it doesn't hurt to try.

Double Further Maths:
We had a look at the exponential form of complex numbers today, we will be soon getting onto De Moivre's theorem, which is a key part of the complex numbers chapter (or so we've been told) so that's going ok. I handed in the paper I worked through again - there were some questions I still didn't quite get but we'll get there eventually.

Computer Science:
Today was the first theory lesson of the year, I still haven't got a good project introduction because quite frankly I can't do the whole extended writing stuff without feeling like I'm spouting pure bullsh*t. So today went ok, still have to rewrite today's notes before next week as our teacher will be checking to ensure our files are up to date.

Enrichment:
The school had not yet organised activities for this (they will have some from next week apparently) so it was basically a free. I looked through some of my chemistry from this week as I have a baseline test tomorrow (not really one I'm stressing out over tho) so it was decent.

Tags:
Spoiler:
Show
soup.bucket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
20/09/19
Today is a good day - I have gotten an email from Durham saying I've been successful in the assessed project for SP and have a conditional offer! Now it's a case of grafting in order to get the AAB I need for 2020 entry Comp Sci. I've talked to my head of year about A level Polish, and they should be able to enter me for it. Hopefully things go well. I'm going to need to really push myself this year tho.

This weekend I plan to get my CS project introduction and problem identification to a decent standard, as well as revise the trig for next Friday's test, and ensuring I remember the definitions and completing the homework (due Monday) for Chemistry.

I've also booked an open day at the university of Liverpool in October (I'm considering applying for comp sci with a foundation year there), and I aim to book open days for other universities to attend in October. Only really been to the airport in Liverpool so we'll see how it goes .

Tags:ada_786
ada_786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by soup.bucket)
20/09/19
Today is a good day - I have gotten an email from Durham saying I've been successful in the assessed project for SP and have a conditional offer! Now it's a case of grafting in order to get the AAB I need for 2020 entry Comp Sci. I've talked to my head of year about A level Polish, and they should be able to enter me for it. Hopefully things go well. I'm going to need to really push myself this year tho.

This weekend I plan to get my CS project introduction and problem identification to a decent standard, as well as revise the trig for next Friday's test, and ensuring I remember the definitions and completing the homework (due Monday) for Chemistry.

I've also booked an open day at the university of Liverpool in October (I'm considering applying for comp sci with a foundation year there), and I aim to book open days for other universities to attend in October. Only really been to the airport in Liverpool so we'll see how it goes .

Tags:ada_786
Congrats on the conditional offer!
soup.bucket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
02/10/19 (really been a while huh)

It's been some time since my last update - I've been keeping busy. I've finally decided which books I want to analyse for a level Polish - I'll be reading Tango, a play by Slawomir Mrozek and Popiol i Diament. I plan to decide on my research project theme this week and order my books to start studying next Monday. I've got a bit of a plan on the timeframe within which I will teach myself the content. I hope to finish learning new stuff by the end of March, coinciding nicely with the end of teaching for AS chemistry and also giving me 2 months before my exams for reviewing.

In maths I've recently had an induction test on trigonometry and differentiation. I wasn't very happy with my result - a measly 45%, but on the bright side at least I didn't do badly enough to have to attend an extra lesson this afternoon. I have time to improve before my next test, although test week starts on the 14th.

My computer science teacher also had a quick look at my 3.1.1 for my CS project. I was concerned my problem decomposition was weak, but I was told it was good for my first shot at it, and that I should just stop it with the whole thinking I'm stupid thing. Well oof, guess I gotta make the positive thoughts happen until they just occur naturally. We'll see how long that takes.

Chemistry has been going well. It's pretty much just been calculations at this point - we've finished molar equations (solids, gases, solutions) and have done empirical formula recently.

My form tutor has given me some good ideas yesterday for writing my personal statement and making what I've done sound even more impressive lol. I aim to have the draft finished and ready to hand in for Monday or Tuesday. I'll also need to give myself a predicted grade for Polish which is fun. I'm also planning on visiting University of Hull this weekend, going to look around the department and accommodation. Hopefully things go well.

And also thank you ada_786 , I was really surprised with the offer myself ngl, hopefully I don't mess up my opportunity haha
soup.bucket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
04/10/19

It's the end of what felt like a long school week - I've been given a book for past papers in maths (we can now do the C3 papers on physicsandmathstutor) and I've also gotten started on 3.1.2 of my CS project - stakeholders. I still haven't got my proper feedback for 3.1.1 but I should do before 3.1.2 is due to hand in (next Friday).

I've got my hull open day tomorrow, gonna have to get up early to get there by 9am though. Hopefully after a look around the dept. and accommodation I'll have a better picture of whether or not I want to study there. I've also got an open day at Liverpool booked for the 19th, so I'm looking forward to that.

I have my test week at school starting on the 14th - 10 days left! I've really got to get revising.

Plans for this weekend:
Attend open day at University of Hull [--]
Finish and mark June 2005 C3 Paper [--]
Get a PS draft to give to form teacher on Monday [--]
Work on 3.1.2 [--]
Order literature for A level Polish [--]

Tags: ada_786
soup.bucket
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
11/10/19
It's been another week! The weekend before my test week can now be considered started and it's been good recently. I got my maths homework back from ages ago and I got 67% - my teacher said there was some good work in it and I made a bit of a dumb mistake which cost me two marks by differentiating ln(x^2 + 5) into 1/(x^2 + 5) instead of 2x/(x^2 + 5) but it's something to work on. My computer science project is also going well, we're onto 3.1.3 now and my 3.1.1 is apparently quite good and I've worked on it according to feedback just to get those extra marks. I submitted my 3.1.2 today and this will be marked over the weekend and feedback will be given. My Polish research project is also coming along at a decent pace and I expect to order the required literature when I am financially able to do so.

Overall, I've had a pretty positive school week. I got to see Joker in cinemas today, which I enjoyed and was a good way to unwind. I'm considering visiting Teesside Uni again tomorrow, this time not to view accommodation and tour the campus, but to see a few talks from the various departments. Then it'll be back to revision tomorrow afternoon on Sunday. My AS chem teacher gave us a practice paper to do before the Monday test, and will send us the markscheme online, so if a question from it comes up and I haven't done it, I'll be kicking myself lol
Tags: ada_786
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads