Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have an offer to study Economics BSc at Lancaster University and Exeter University through clearing but I'm confused about which one is better for me. They're both far from home (in London) which is kind of daunting but something I'm willing to overcome.

I like that the course at Exeter offers a lot of optional modules so you can study what you want whereas Lancaster only really has optional modules during the 3rd year so its harder to personalise the degree. But I also really love that Lancaster has the Career and Employability module in each year to prepare you for the real world and I've heard people really fall in love with the environment of the uni. (It's also ranked number 7 nationally...but it's not a Russell Group and I'm not entirely sure how important that would be when I go to get a job after I graduate).

If anyone can share their experience of the course/uni or just have anything to help me decide between Lancaster or Exeter I would be grateful.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi anon,
I'm Charlotte and I'm currently a student at Lancaster - and also from London! Lancaster is 2.5 (or 3.5 if you get the slower train) hours from Euston - so not actually too bad. Some of my closest friends do Economics and from what I gathered, in first year it starts off okay as they cover a lot of stuff people might have done at A levels, it then gets more challenging going forward with the more complex maths and economics topics. They also do 'tests' throughout the year which contribute to your grade, so not everything depends on the final exams. Economics is part of Lancaster University Management School (which we call LUMS), so like you said, the career mentoring is great and there's loads of careers fairs etc that people do. A lot of people in my year are starting placement years in London, Manchester, Leeds etc and really kickstarting their CVs and hopefully getting themselves grad jobs! The campus is kind of on a hill and surrounded by fields but it's only like a 10-15 minute bus journey into town which is a historic old little city with all the pubs and bars and shops you need. We're about 15 minutes from Preston and Morecambe, 1 hour from Manchester, Blackpool, the Lake District, and about 2 hours from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Birmingham. We have a college system so when you arrive you'll have welcome week run and organised by your college and will spend a lot of time with them until you start lectures of course. It adds a bit of rivalry and there's inter college competitions too of course. Having fewer module choice mostly just means you'll not be at risk of not covering things employers will want from you as well
Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this aids your decision!
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have an offer to study Economics BSc at Lancaster University and Exeter University through clearing but I'm confused about which one is better for me. They're both far from home (in London) which is kind of daunting but something I'm willing to overcome.

I like that the course at Exeter offers a lot of optional modules so you can study what you want whereas Lancaster only really has optional modules during the 3rd year so its harder to personalise the degree. But I also really love that Lancaster has the Career and Employability module in each year to prepare you for the real world and I've heard people really fall in love with the environment of the uni. (It's also ranked number 7 nationally...but it's not a Russell Group and I'm not entirely sure how important that would be when I go to get a job after I graduate).

If anyone can share their experience of the course/uni or just have anything to help me decide between Lancaster or Exeter I would be grateful.
Exeter every time - it's a beautiful campus - look at the tour on their website. Lots of my ex-students have gone there and it's not that far from London by train or road. For Economics I think RG does matter.
Advertisement
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Not being RG definitely doesn't matter when it comes to certain exceptional universities like Lancaster and St Andrews. St Andrews isn't an RG university either and yet its reputation is better than 90% of RG universities.

I can't speak for course content but there's definitely a reason why Lancaster continuously tops the league tables. I think extremely high student satisfaction is one of the many contributing reasons. :rambo:
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 month ago
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
For Economics I think RG does matter.
Maybe not always. St Andrews has one of the most competitive undergraduate Economics courses in the UK and it's not RG.
Advertisement
Duane2501
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exeter for me - has a stellar reputation with employers, in my experience anyway but my profession is very Uni focused (law).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (11)
5.76%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (106)
55.5%
No (74)
38.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed