I done so bad on my AS :( i don't know what my options are...

Watch
fairylight778
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Might be a bit of a ramble so I apologise in advance. So at GCSE i got a 6 in maths and three AS and so in 2017 i applied to a really good sixthform, but did not allow me to take a level maths so I did A levels Biology Chemistry and physics. At the end of year 12 i didn't do amazing in physics and my teacher said it was because of not doing maths and so i moved school to repeat year 12 (the reason i done this is because i want to do physics at university) and i took physics maths and biology. I improved alot in physics and was finding myself getting A grades throughout the year but maths was a struggle and my grades were not always good and fluctuating (highest grade i got was a B) but yeah fast forward AS i got U in maths which means my school will kick me off the course. i don't know what do do! I don't know what my options are! i definitely want to go to a really good university and do physics as i am the first generation so i want to go to an amazing one. I also do not want to do a btech and i don't want to repeat year 12 twice i just want to go uni at this point im done with this school i hate it here! the teachers are not helpful and degrade me if i ever asked for help. So i don't know where to turn for help and i came here instead. I worked so hard and it just upsets me it has all gone in vain once again. Ive always had high expectations of myself as the grades i got at gcse apart from maths was good (they're what i wanted). I also didn't do good in physics and got a D which im devasted about because i was expecting a B minimum and i really revised hard for it cos atm i feel like theres nothing i can do and like its all over and i know for sure i wont like anything other than physics its something i dearly loved from since secondary and while i have tried to find interest in other subjects, i just knew i would be most happiest when doing physics.Any advice on what i can do would be appreciated thanks in advance
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to think about why you got those grades. A2 is way harder than AS so you might need to consider repeating AS with different subjects and maybe at a different sixth form. Thats what I did, and i don't regret it. There is no rush to get into university
fairylight778
Rep:
?
For maths its not my strongest subject. For physics my timing was awful in both papers and i missed out some questions and guessed my mcqs which cos me my grade. I have already repeated year 12 once so i cannot do so again, plus i do not want to be in one more year of school i want to go to university by 2020. Should i do a foundation year?
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Repeating year 12 seems like a sensible option to me, but at a different educational institution. You say that the teachers don’t help you at your current school, so it would be beneficial to move to a different college / sixth form. You now have the experience of year 12 and doing AS exams, so you can reflect upon what went wrong and to change that, starting revision earlier. To do physics at university you need maths, it’s be foolish not to take it. There’s no rush to go to university; sit, breathe, and discuss your options with your family.
fairylight778
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Repeating year 12 seems like a sensible option to me, but at a different educational institution. You say that the teachers don’t help you at your current school, so it would be beneficial to move to a different college / sixth form. You now have the experience of year 12 and doing AS exams, so you can reflect upon what went wrong and to change that, starting revision earlier. To do physics at university you need maths, it’s be foolish not to take it. There’s no rush to go to university; sit, breathe, and discuss your options with your family.
I have already repeated year 12 once i even moved institution. I can't redo year 12 for the third time.
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by fairylight778)
I have already repeated year 12 once i even moved institution. I can't redo year 12 for the third time.
You could if worst comes to worst, but why have you failed a second time then? Did you not learn how to improve from the first time you did year 12? Perhaps an access scheme or just going into the world of work is more suited for you then. Academics and exams aren’t suited for everyone though.
fairylight778
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
You could if worst comes to worst, but why have you failed a second time then? Did you not learn how to improve from the first time you did year 12? Perhaps an access scheme or just going into the world of work is more suited for you then. Academics and exams aren’t suited for everyone though.
First time i done a level physics without maths which i think helped me alot this year. This time my timing in both papers was bad for physics so i missed alot of questions. i feel if i work on my timing for physics it will make a big difference because i am normally fine with the questions. I think i would have to continue to year 13 and do another a level in one year but im not sure which subject yet. So at least i can get onto a foundation year. I would have first year a level maths experience for physics and i heard that is enough for A2 physics. Do you think this is a sensible idea?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.15%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.27%

Watched Threads