Anyone from Spain? I need help pls

Watch
grungelife
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I was hoping that someone who studied in Spain and applied to a university in the UK could respond to my message.

I’m not Spanish but I’ve been living here for 14 years and now I want to apply to a university in the UK, but I find the whole UCAS and applying thing hard, no matter how much research I do.

Preferably a Spanish student who is going to, or studies at Oxford/Cambridge. I’ve seen that the entry requirements for these universities are different than the rest, given that apart from your A Levels (your título de bachillerato), they also ask for you university entrance exams (the selectividad or PAU).

Anyone who studied in Spain will know that when you do your entrance exams/ PAU, you will get your average grade (the grade you got in bachillerato or sixth form), then you will get your grade from the fase ordinaria(the average of the core subjects that you have to take an exam on). After that, you can choose to do more exams to get a higher grade (fase específica). Whatever grades you get are added to the average of your bachillerato and fase ordinaria grade.

But the important thing here is that, in Spain, the grades of the voluntary exams you do, to get a higher a grade, all count differently per university. The university multiply the grades by 0.1 or 0.2, 0.2 being the highest, and then they add it to the average grade. Whether a subject is awarded a 0.1 or 0.2 differs from university to university so different universities give you different grades.

In the PAU ( uni entrance exams), the highest is a 14, and I myself got an 11.9 (which is really high). But like I said, different universities give different grades according to how they value the subject. Madrid university was the one who gave me an 11.9, along with other universities but not all would give me that exact same grade.

My question is that, in Oxford, you have to have an 11/14 to get in but how will they calculate the grades I have if they don’t have the whole 0.1 and 0.2 system?

In the document that we were given, it shows your average of bachillerato/sixth form, your average of the fase ordinaria and then the average of both, which is the same everywhere. My average is 8,02, approximately. And then below they have written the grades you got from the exams you chose to do, ranking from 0-10. But the document doesn’t add those to the average because it depends on each university to assign a 0.1 or a 0.2 to those grades and then add it to the average.

I’m sorry for this being so long, I’m just hoping that a Spanish student would help me with this.
R T
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by grungelife)
I was hoping that someone who studied in Spain and applied to a university in the UK could respond to my message.

I’m not Spanish but I’ve been living here for 14 years and now I want to apply to a university in the UK, but I find the whole UCAS and applying thing hard, no matter how much research I do.

Preferably a Spanish student who is going to, or studies at Oxford/Cambridge. I’ve seen that the entry requirements for these universities are different than the rest, given that apart from your A Levels (your título de bachillerato), they also ask for you university entrance exams (the selectividad or PAU).

Anyone who studied in Spain will know that when you do your entrance exams/ PAU, you will get your average grade (the grade you got in bachillerato or sixth form), then you will get your grade from the fase ordinaria(the average of the core subjects that you have to take an exam on). After that, you can choose to do more exams to get a higher grade (fase específica). Whatever grades you get are added to the average of your bachillerato and fase ordinaria grade.

But the important thing here is that, in Spain, the grades of the voluntary exams you do, to get a higher a grade, all count differently per university. The university multiply the grades by 0.1 or 0.2, 0.2 being the highest, and then they add it to the average grade. Whether a subject is awarded a 0.1 or 0.2 differs from university to university so different universities give you different grades.

In the PAU ( uni entrance exams), the highest is a 14, and I myself got an 11.9 (which is really high). But like I said, different universities give different grades according to how they value the subject. Madrid university was the one who gave me an 11.9, along with other universities but not all would give me that exact same grade.

My question is that, in Oxford, you have to have an 11/14 to get in but how will they calculate the grades I have if they don’t have the whole 0.1 and 0.2 system?

In the document that we were given, it shows your average of bachillerato/sixth form, your average of the fase ordinaria and then the average of both, which is the same everywhere. My average is 8,02, approximately. And then below they have written the grades you got from the exams you chose to do, ranking from 0-10. But the document doesn’t add those to the average because it depends on each university to assign a 0.1 or a 0.2 to those grades and then add it to the average.

I’m sorry for this being so long, I’m just hoping that a Spanish student would help me with this.
Well it's been 4 days so I'm guessing we dont have an active Spanish student here.

My advice; email Oxford or cambridge and ask this question very specifically. Admissions are usually very helpful with specific, relevant questions like this. Don't worry; your email will not affect your application in any way. It might be helpful to not just email main admissions but also specific colleges.

From what I know about other EU students who were at cambridge with me: usually Oxbridge just ask you to achieve "very good" school grades. So this would be the equivalent of an A or A*. Or they would ask for an 8 or 9 / 10 in a school exam; or 41/45 in the International baccalaureate. This is probably a grade which is equivalent to that the top 5-10% of spanish students achieve (I would guess), since a similar % of UK students get A*AA+ (or equivalent). If Oxbridge knows anything about the Spanish system; they will do an offer which is in line with this. It would be very unfair for them to ask for a grade which is "unachievably high" (i.e. if 9/10 on a paper was something less than 1% of students would get). If you get an offer which involves something like this, it would be worth getting directly in touch with the college/ university (again), and probably with a letter from a teacher which explains that the stipulated offer is ridiculously difficult. Common sense usually prevails in these things.
grungelife
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by R T)
Well it's been 4 days so I'm guessing we dont have an active Spanish student here.

My advice; email Oxford or cambridge and ask this question very specifically. Admissions are usually very helpful with specific, relevant questions like this. Don't worry; your email will not affect your application in any way. It might be helpful to not just email main admissions but also specific colleges.

From what I know about other EU students who were at cambridge with me: usually Oxbridge just ask you to achieve "very good" school grades. So this would be the equivalent of an A or A*. Or they would ask for an 8 or 9 / 10 in a school exam; or 41/45 in the International baccalaureate. This is probably a grade which is equivalent to that the top 5-10% of spanish students achieve (I would guess), since a similar % of UK students get A*AA+ (or equivalent). If Oxbridge knows anything about the Spanish system; they will do an offer which is in line with this. It would be very unfair for them to ask for a grade which is "unachievably high" (i.e. if 9/10 on a paper was something less than 1% of students would get). If you get an offer which involves something like this, it would be worth getting directly in touch with the college/ university (again), and probably with a letter from a teacher which explains that the stipulated offer is ridiculously difficult. Common sense usually prevails in these things.
Thank you very much for the reply!

In my last year of sixth form I got the highest grades, I got mostly 8, 9s and 2 10s. But the average of both years gives me an 8 so 😂.

Either way, I will call them and ask thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (55)
60.44%
No (36)
39.56%

Watched Threads