AS Level impact on Oxbridge application

Watch
mio.648
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good GCSEs (6 nines, 4 eights)
Did well on my internal as levels (A*,A,A and thats probs my predicted)
i decided to drop physics so they put me on the external as level so i could get a grade for it. I got a B
Yeah i know its not awful and people would be happy with it but oxbridge is really best of the best.
Reckon its impact would be low, as in like the negative impact
just looking for some reassurance.
mio.648
Rep:
?
Ngl the search on tsr is awful, im sorry but i tried to look up if other people have asked this question but all that came up was "is a-levels needed for work" when i typed in as levels impact on oxbridge.

Btw im trying to apply to biochemistry at oxford
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nio.m)
Good GCSEs (6 nines, 4 eights)
Did well on my internal as levels (A*,A,A and thats probs my predicted)
i decided to drop physics so they put me on the external as level so i could get a grade for it. I got a B
Yeah i know its not awful and people would be happy with it but oxbridge is really best of the best.
Reckon its impact would be low, as in like the negative impact
just looking for some reassurance.
They do take it into account but its only one of several elements. Don't let it worry you too much, talk to your teachers about your reference, and work really hard on your PS. They are pretty transparent as to what they want those both to contain.
mio.648
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
They do take it into account but its only one of several elements. Don't let it worry you too much, talk to your teachers about your reference, and work really hard on your PS. They are pretty transparent as to what they want those both to contain.
yeah thanks boss
Aamna-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

AS grades are quite important as they form the foundation for your A level predictions. If you can talk to your teachers to get higher predictions, and work to meet those predictions, then your AS grades surely will not affect your application significantly. Just work very hard on your grades for second year!
mio.648
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aamna-)
Hi,

AS grades are quite important as they form the foundation for your A level predicntions. If you can talk to your teachers to get higher predictions, and work to meet those predictions, then your AS grades surely will not affect your application significantly. Just work very hard on your grades for second year!
nah i dropped physics, i am not going to do an A2 for physics, im just wondering since they will see that on my UCAS. Im doing Bio, Chem and Physics only at A2
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The B in Physics isn't a big problem for a biochem applicant.

Only being predicted A*AA is a problem. You should tell your school that the standard offer is A*A*A and explain to the school that your low prediction could risk you being rejected before the interview stage. I am sure your school will then change the prediction to be as high or higher than the standard offer.
mio.648
Rep:
?
(Original post by R T)
The B in Physics isn't a big problem for a biochem applicant.

Only being predicted A*AA is a problem. You should tell your school that the standard offer is A*A*A and explain to the school that your low prediction could risk you being rejected before the interview stage. I am sure your school will then change the prediction to be as high or higher than the standard offer.
yeah i have another set of exams in september so im working to get A*/A*/A in that so hopefully they raise my predicted from that, safe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed