failure4039
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so gcse results is next week. the mistake i made was not knowing that double award science gives you two grades for science and not 3 for individual subjects, just like triple science offers. anyways, hopefully i get to do my sciences at A-Level. i just wanted i know, at the end of thetwo year course, do you get one grade for the a level subject you chose? i know it sounds extremely dumb, but i want to know exactly what i’m working with, i don’t want no double grade or anything like that again.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zenab anwar)
so gcse results is next week. the mistake i made was not knowing that double award science gives you two grades for science and not 3 for individual subjects, just like triple science offers. anyways, hopefully i get to do my sciences at A-Level. i just wanted i know, at the end of thetwo year course, do you get one grade for the a level subject you chose? i know it sounds extremely dumb, but i want to know exactly what i’m working with, i don’t want no double grade or anything like that again.
That's correct, at the end of the two year course, you will receive one grade for each a-level subject you choose :yep:
alexia grace
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, you do get a single grade for a single science at A-level, don't worry about sounding dumb it's better to ask than be confused.
failure4039
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexia grace)
Yes, you do get a single grade for a single science at A-level, don't worry about sounding dumb it's better to ask than be confused.
Thanks! also, are you an A-Level student? i need some help since i’m starting college
alexia grace
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks! also, are you an A-Level student? i need some help since i’m starting college
Yeah I do A-level chemistry on AQA and I'm starting year 13 this year. I am happy to help if you have any questions. However, I'm not great at chemistry but I have been doing a fair bit of revision recently in particular on senacca learning. It has the whole course on there and it acts as an interactive revision guide. Best of all it is free. Another thing I would recommend is famliarsinging yourself with some of the triple only content from gcse because you are starting at a disadvantage having done double.
failure4039
Rep:
?
trust me, i think i’ve revised the whole of triple just because i wanted and im THAT extra. anyways, having the triple really helped in the double science exams because you know everything inside out which i thankfully did know and really didn’t have to know. I’m doing A level biology and chemistry and psychology hopefully for college and wanted to know about the books you can get. a lot of people are buying their books right now, and we are in the summer holidays just after year 11.. i don’t think they should be buying their books now but they are and so i’m just wondering. For AQA chemistry, what books do you use? i’m mainly focusing on biology because i’m not 100% certain i will get into chemistry due to the maths (even though i did higher i’m convinced i’m not getting the grade)
alexia grace
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
trust me, i think i’ve revised the whole of triple just because i wanted and im THAT extra. anyways, having the triple really helped in the double science exams because you know everything inside out which i thankfully did know and really didn’t have to know. I’m doing A level biology and chemistry and psychology hopefully for college and wanted to know about the books you can get. a lot of people are buying their books right now, and we are in the summer holidays just after year 11.. i don’t think they should be buying their books now but they are and so i’m just wondering. For AQA chemistry, what books do you use? i’m mainly focusing on biology because i’m not 100% certain i will get into chemistry due to the maths (even though i did higher i’m convinced i’m not getting the grade)
Ah right it's good you know triple then. Books wise I would wait to see what your teacher recommends and whether your college will either loan or gift books. Personally I had the cgp as-level textbook on loan from college (next year we get full A-level textbooks) but having that at all times was a god send. I also have the cgp revision guide and questions book which is good for summaries. There's a book called calculations for as/A-level chemistry by Jim Clark which I and others I know who do chemistry swear by on the maths side. This is the only book I had to buy myself and it was so worth it especially since I don't do A level maths

Honestly, your best resource is the internet sites like chemguide and senacca which are a massive help. Both free and available on your phone, personally I prefer senacca just because it is more interactive and you have to do questions to progress meaning you retain information better. I would also look into wether your college has exampro which is the best thing you can use, it has every exam question on it, the major downside is you have to use a teachers login so it is dependent on the teacher, mine gave me her login in the first half-term, but you can use that for all 3 sciences.

I do agree it is too early to be buying books especially when results aren't out yet and you haven't done the course for long, in fact so many people change subjects in the first couple of weeks so don't spend money yet. Enjoy your hoilday and good luck with the results.
failure4039
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexia grace)
Ah right it's good you know triple then. Books wise I would wait to see what your teacher recommends and whether your college will either loan or gift books. Personally I had the cgp as-level textbook on loan from college (next year we get full A-level textbooks) but having that at all times was a god send. I also have the cgp revision guide and questions book which is good for summaries. There's a book called calculations for as/A-level chemistry by Jim Clark which I and others I know who do chemistry swear by on the maths side. This is the only book I had to buy myself and it was so worth it especially since I don't do A level maths

Honestly, your best resource is the internet sites like chemguide and senacca which are a massive help. Both free and available on your phone, personally I prefer senacca just because it is more interactive and you have to do questions to progress meaning you retain information better. I would also look into wether your college has exampro which is the best thing you can use, it has every exam question on it, the major downside is you have to use a teachers login so it is dependent on the teacher, mine gave me her login in the first half-term, but you can use that for all 3 sciences.

I do agree it is too early to be buying books especially when results aren't out yet and you haven't done the course for long, in fact so many people change subjects in the first couple of weeks so don't spend money yet. Enjoy your hoilday and good luck with the results.
thank you so much, your info has really helped me for college. a lot of people are just adding onto the stress for college but i don’t see the need, especially in buying new text books when they don’t know whether they should be or should not be. i will also use sennecca and yess, exampro has soo soo sooo many questions and that’s what i will probably find the most useful and so hopefully my college teacher has that. just the anticipation for results day now..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads