The Student Room Group

LNAT advice

Hey,
so I just did my first online LNAT test ever (I'm doing the real one in mid Oct) and I scored an 18. That obviously sucks because it's really bad and this probably ruins the chance of me getting into my dream uni, UCL.
A few things to consider:
a. English is not my native language.
b. I really, really want to get into UCL (they offer a Singapore 1y exchange program and it's basically my life dream to live in Singapore, lol.)
Questions:
I. How can I improve my LNAT score? My biggest problem is the English language, not the test format itsself. Any good resources / tips?
II. Can you get into a good uni like UCL with a bad LNAT score but if your other stuff is good? Like essay, reference etc.
III. Any uni recommendations that are
a. enough prestigeous to get a good job as a Lawyer (=Russell Group I guess?!)
b. in England
c. (I know this is very niche) offer exchange programs to South East Asia?
IV. Or should I study something else? I do really want to become a lawyer, but could you for example do a Business Bachelor and then an LLM and become a lawyer?
Greets and thanks to everyone who bothers to read this haha
Original post by manueljenni
Hey,
so I just did my first online LNAT test ever (I'm doing the real one in mid Oct) and I scored an 18. That obviously sucks because it's really bad and this probably ruins the chance of me getting into my dream uni, UCL.
A few things to consider:
a. English is not my native language.
b. I really, really want to get into UCL (they offer a Singapore 1y exchange program and it's basically my life dream to live in Singapore, lol.)
Questions:
I. How can I improve my LNAT score? My biggest problem is the English language, not the test format itsself. Any good resources / tips?
II. Can you get into a good uni like UCL with a bad LNAT score but if your other stuff is good? Like essay, reference etc.
III. Any uni recommendations that are
a. enough prestigeous to get a good job as a Lawyer (=Russell Group I guess?!)
b. in England
c. (I know this is very niche) offer exchange programs to South East Asia?
IV. Or should I study something else? I do really want to become a lawyer, but could you for example do a Business Bachelor and then an LLM and become a lawyer?
Greets and thanks to everyone who bothers to read this haha

Hiiii

I’m from the UK and I’m also hoping to study at UCL :smile:
So the LNAT shouldn’t be something you worry about so much, but I have been feeling anxious about it too as my first score on the official LNAT Paper was 19 and on Arbitio I’ve gotten 17,16,14 on the tests I’ve done so far.

This leads onto my second point- i would definitely recommend Arbitio!!! Their walkthroughs really help you see how you got a question wrong and actually understand how to get it right, plus it’s more difficult than the LNAT so you’ll be better prepared.

Obviously bad scores are discouraging but I’m going to keep practicing until I get the hang of them- I actually didn’t realise I had 95 minutes for the 42 multiple choice questions hahahah

University wise, I think London is a great place to study law: LSE, KCL, UCL etc

You can do another degree and do a graduate diploma in law though.

Feel free to message me as we may be both applying to the same uni :smile:
1 Month to improve your English is a rather tough task... For the LNAT I would mainly focus on learning new vocabulary and understanding complex sentence structures. Also, maybe google tips on how to determine the most critical points in a complex paragraph.
What helps me is reading the questions first, reading the paragraph, reading the questions again (one by one), skimming the paragraph for keywords and reading those parts in detail and then answering the question.
Don't spend to much time on a question you can't find the answer to, flag it and come back later
Original post by S.carter
Hiiii

I’m from the UK and I’m also hoping to study at UCL :smile:
So the LNAT shouldn’t be something you worry about so much, but I have been feeling anxious about it too as my first score on the official LNAT Paper was 19 and on Arbitio I’ve gotten 17,16,14 on the tests I’ve done so far.

This leads onto my second point- i would definitely recommend Arbitio!!! Their walkthroughs really help you see how you got a question wrong and actually understand how to get it right, plus it’s more difficult than the LNAT so you’ll be better prepared.

Obviously bad scores are discouraging but I’m going to keep practicing until I get the hang of them- I actually didn’t realise I had 95 minutes for the 42 multiple choice questions hahahah

University wise, I think London is a great place to study law: LSE, KCL, UCL etc

You can do another degree and do a graduate diploma in law though.

Feel free to message me as we may be both applying to the same uni :smile:

Original post by Aaryra

People make mistakes, get over it?
People make mistakes, get over it?

And here I was, completely obsessed with it. My bad.
Original post by Aaryra
And here I was, completely obsessed with it. My bad.

Well you have taken the time to reply 😂
Well you have taken the time to reply 😂

Ah don't worry, took me about 3 seconds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending