A-Level English Language... Is it respected/worth it?

Watch this thread
rvalentine
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm a GCSE student expecting their results next week and I was having some second thoughts about my A-Level choices, (I have an opportunity to adjust my options on results day). I am lined up to be taking Business Studies (BTEC), Health and Social Care (BTEC) and Core Maths (AS Level). I understand that AS Levels are worth less UCAS points, I'm obviously not 100% sure what uni I want to go to but I have my eye on Sussex. I am aware I will need to change my choices up in order to get enough UCAS points to be accepted there, That leads me to why i'm here... I have mixed emotions over my English Language GCSE (AQA). I relatively enjoy writing and I wouldn't mind studying it further even though I didn't particularly enjoy it through high school. I wanted to see if anyone on here had any advice on what I should do or any past A level English students that would kindly share their experience. I didn't really care as much as I should have during GCSEs but I really want to do well in sixth form.

Can someone just sort my life out for me... PLEASE?!
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rvalentine)
Hi,

I'm a GCSE student expecting their results next week and I was having some second thoughts about my A-Level choices, (I have an opportunity to adjust my options on results day). I am lined up to be taking Business Studies (BTEC), Health and Social Care (BTEC) and Core Maths (AS Level). I understand that AS Levels are worth less UCAS points, I'm obviously not 100% sure what uni I want to go to but I have my eye on Sussex. I am aware I will need to change my choices up in order to get enough UCAS points to be accepted there, That leads me to why i'm here... I have mixed emotions over my English Language GCSE (AQA). I relatively enjoy writing and I wouldn't mind studying it further even though I didn't particularly enjoy it through high school. I wanted to see if anyone on here had any advice on what I should do or any past A level English students that would kindly share their experience. I didn't really care as much as I should have during GCSEs but I really want to do well in sixth form.

I have just got my AS result, and although I got a B (2 marks off an A), I’ll still be taking it over history, where I got an A.
I really enjoy it, however it definitely isn’t easy as there are a lot of theories and terms to learn so it’s very different to GCSE.
The coursework gives you a chance to be creative, you can do discursive or creative writing or pretty much any type of writing.

Depends on what modules you’re doing and what exam board you’re with. I dreaded the child language module but I’m pretty sure I did better in it than paper 1 (about aliens).

Feel free to ask any questions
rvalentine
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by S.carter)
I have just got my AS result, and although I got a B (2 marks off an A), I’ll still be taking it over history, where I got an A.
I really enjoy it, however it definitely isn’t easy as there are a lot of theories and terms to learn so it’s very different to GCSE.
The coursework gives you a chance to be creative, you can do discursive or creative writing or pretty much any type of writing.

Depends on what modules you’re doing and what exam board you’re with. I dreaded the child language module but I’m pretty sure I did better in it than paper 1 (about aliens).

Feel free to ask any questions
Hey! thanks for answering, i’m pretty sure i’d be on AQA! I think it all comes down to what I get on results day, I will definitely take it if I get a 6 or above in my GCSE, otherwise I’ll just have to find another A-Level, the new terms and things you learn in A-level language really interest me, especially the child language module. What other A-Levels do you do? What do you recommend if my English grade is not what i hope for? Thanks
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey! thanks for answering, i’m pretty sure i’d be on AQA! I think it all comes down to what I get on results day, I will definitely take it if I get a 6 or above in my GCSE, otherwise I’ll just have to find another A-Level, the new terms and things you learn in A-level language really interest me, especially the child language module. What other A-Levels do you do? What do you recommend if my English grade is not what i hope for? Thanks
Well, I definitely think it’s a big jump, I got an 8 in GCSE (English is my favourite subject hahah) but I still had some difficulty but I’d say everyone is in the same boat here and as long as you put the work in getting good grades is definitely doable.

The terms are really interesting, so we’re not allowed to say ‘word’ anymore, it’s now called ‘Lexis’ and there are more terms like premodified or mostmodified noun phrases plus theories on issues like gender, age etc which you prove or disprove in your essay
Honestly I don’t think GCSE is a massively good indicator to if you should do a subject at A level as the content is so different and it’s so much harder, if someone is dedicated they have a chance of doing well even if they didn’t do well in GCSE. However most colleges like a 6 or above for you to take a subject, but they may let you take it if you discuss it with them.

The child language module is basically understanding how children progress through speaking and writing, which can be a tad dreary but some aspects are interesting and the principles are easy to apply to all texts
Zoe_H
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

I just got my A level English lang result today and i got a B on AQA. it is very different to GCSE, I got a 7 at GCSE, personally I didnt like it at all at A level and it was my worst result, however that doesnt mean that you wont as it depends on what you enjoy, what your teachers are like and what the class is like. most of my class really didnt care and so I found it really hard to focus in lessons but yours maybe really different. the thing i struggled most with was the writting technique- it is quite specific in how you go about answering questions, and you need to know different word classes, and sentence types really well so like different types of nouns etc. however dont be put off by that as i struggled with that and still got a B. there is also 2 lots of course work an investigation piece and an original writing piece each worth 10% and i did enjoy doing them, as well as that i enjoyed learnjng about different types of language groups- you learn about workd english, how english has changed through time, language and gender, language and occupation etc. and all this I found really interesting and there is also the child aquisition part of the course- this is about how children learn to speak and also read and write and this too is really interesting! so its really up to you and what you wanna do, as i say although some aspects of the course i didnt like there were aspects i did and also many people really enjoy this A level. at the end of paper 2 there is also an opinion journalism question which i always looked forward to as it was a nice break from the essays. it is an essay based subject with 2 25 markers, a 20 marker and a 30 marker in paper 1 and 2 30 markers and a 40 marker in paper 2. it is also quite nice as you have a lot of time for the paper 2 and a half hours so you have over a minute a mark meaning it might not feel as rushed as other papers. in regards to how it is viewed by unis it doesnt really matter, most unis will say this many ucas points... or say particular grades, some will tell you that you need to do certain subjects at A level, for example medicine often requires bio and chem, however i have never seen a university say that they wont accept english lang, the only ones ive seen reject certain a levels are subjects like general studies. including oxbridge but again dont hold me to that as thats my personal experience, good luck with your choices, sorry this is so long but hope it helps and feel free to PM me if you have any questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
21.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
17.39%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
26.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
21.74%

Watched Threads