JoeP32111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've just read that after I've completed this foundation 2 year course, I can skip to the third and final year of the computer science BSc Hons degree, that I originally wanted to do. I'm curious by doing this will it mean I will have the exact same qualifications at the end as the people who did the BSc Hons degree without doing foundation like I am, or will it be less of a qualification because of the 2 years of foundation that I'll do while others would have done the whole 3 years without doing the foundation years. Like will I get like a mixed qualification at the end or what?
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Are you talking about a 2 year level 5 Foundation Degree? That is a higher education diploma level (240 unit) qualification, which would then permit admission to the third year of a Bachelor Degree (level 6, 360 unit) qualifcation.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I assume you are referring to a foundation degree, which is a two year course, equivalent to the first two years of a degree (in theory). A foundation year is not the same thing as a foundation degree.

Foundation degrees can normally be "topped up" to a BSc through an appropriate top-up course. I would note these top-up courses aren't enormously common, and you will still need to apply again to such a course. You will have a foundation degree and a BSc (Hons) top-up degree, presumably.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 months ago
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm not sure why everyone is trying to confuse you instead of getting straight to the point, it really doesn't help at all.

So a foundation year is what you do before the actual degree, essentially "between" college and university. After the 1/2 years of the foundation degree, you move onto the actual degree from the beginning, which is often 3 years. You don't skip any years at all.

Also, to answer your second question, once you finish your foundation year and move onto the actual degree (and complete that as well), that will essentially mean you have the same degree as everyone else and not a "mixed" qualification.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Xarao)
I'm not sure why everyone is trying to confuse you instead of getting straight to the point, it really doesn't help at all.

So a foundation year is what you do before the actual degree, essentially "between" college and university. After the 1/2 years of the foundation degree, you move onto the actual degree from the beginning, which is often 3 years. You don't skip any years at all.

Also, to answer your second question, once you finish your foundation year and move onto the actual degree (and complete that as well), that will essentially mean you have the same degree as everyone else and not a "mixed" qualification.
Yes, it is confusing that higher education decided to have both foundation degrees and foundation years (as a way in to a degree).

The point you make is that a foundation year is a precursor to a full bachelors (or sometimes integrated masters degree). It is an extra year 0 tagged onto the beginning of the programme.

A foundation degree is most definitely a standalone Level 5 qualification, which can be then be applied -- should the student choose -- as year 1 and 2 of a 3-year bachelors programme.

Answers on a postcard if someone can choose different names for these very different concepts!
JoeP32111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)

https://www.lsec.ac.uk/courses/ict/2...gree?occ=81450

At the bottom (under progression) it says I can fast track to the third year :s

It's a foundation degree btw
Last edited by JoeP32111; 2 months ago
JoeP32111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)

https://www.lsec.ac.uk/courses/ict/2...gree?occ=81450

At the bottom it says I can fast track to the 3rd year, so will i still get the normal degree or what?

And yes, it's a foundation degree
Last edited by JoeP32111; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed