Your doing medicine? What year are u on
I am Year 10+
(Just read my profile)
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think I view treating people a fulfilling line of work.

I also think science is one of my strong points, as opposed to essay subjects.

Those are the main two reasons.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Same boat. 2 years postgrad and currently taking a year out. Dunno if it’s really for me but I guess I’m kinda committed
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just weighed up my options and made the best decision I could. Only decided a couple months before the deadline.

Wanting a practical, not-office based job with good job security were probably the biggest factors if we're honest. Although now the idea of an office sounds great!
Jin3011
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My current role as a clinical pharmacist has given me many perks a medical career would offer; job security, progression, lifelong learning, leadership, teaching etc. However, I reached a point where I realised there would always be a limit on my competence to help my patients and also a limit on the weight of my decision-making abilities. I still don't know if medicine is the best option for me, but it's more fitting with what I want out of a career and it's one step closer for me to being able to help my patients the way I want to help them .
dontevenknow2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I am Year 10+
(Just read my profile)
wdym year 10+ what year are u on in medicine ?
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dontevenknow2)
wdym year 10+ what year are u on in medicine ?
Greater than Yr 10! ecolier is a qualified Dr and almost a Consultant
asif007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thisisatrek)
Just curious
The fact you’re asking how to know if Medicine is for you and also about people who dropped out of medical school, suggests to me that you’re trying to make a decision about something. Give us some more context about your situation and maybe we can advise you better.
thisisatrek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by asif007)
The fact you’re asking how to know if Medicine is for you and also about people who dropped out of medical school, suggests to me that you’re trying to make a decision about something. Give us some more context about your situation and maybe we can advise you better.

Hi,
I have an offer to study medicine in September but I’m not 100% sure it is for me. So I’m debating whether I should pursue it or not
Last edited by thisisatrek; 4 weeks ago
asif007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi,
I have an offer to study medicine in September but I’m not 100% sure it is for me. So I’m debating whether I should pursue it or not
Why are you not sure it’s for you? You obviously demonstrated a lot of interest in the career to get a place. What’s making you doubt your decision?
thisisatrek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by asif007)
Why are you not sure it’s for you? You obviously demonstrated a lot of interest in the career to get a place. What’s making you doubt your decision?
I’m scared more than anything else to make such a big commitment. I love the science behind it all. I volunteer at a Hospice currently I always think about how I would love to go and try find a cure for the diseases the patients suffer from but I don’t necessarily find it comfortable to even interact with the patients, I’m pretty socially awkward so I don’t know if clinical medicine is for me, as I’m constantly obsessing over what people think of me rather than thinking about them. The alternative would be to do a biochemistry degree and then go into medical research which seems more suited to my personality. I know both fields are challenging so I’m just scared to make the wrong decision.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m scared more than anything else to make such a big commitment. I love the science behind it all. I volunteer at a Hospice currently I always think about how I would love to go and try find a cure for the diseases the patients suffer from but I don’t necessarily find it comfortable to even interact with the patients, I’m pretty socially awkward so I don’t know if clinical medicine is for me, as I’m constantly obsessing over what people think of me rather than thinking about them. The alternative would be to do a biochemistry degree and then go into medical research which seems more suited to my personality. I know both fields are challenging so I’m just scared to make the wrong decision.
Interacting with patients as a doctor is very different to being a volunteer at a hospice. Some communication skills will be formally taught and you will also pick up a great deal by observing your seniors over the course of many years.

I think if you've got into medicine then you should give it a go. It's far easier to switch from medicine to biochem than the other way round.

One of the best things about medicine is how many different specialties there are to suit all personality types
Last edited by Democracy; 4 weeks ago
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am Year 10+
(Just read my profile)
Plus quite a bit more.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Plus quite a bit more.
I'm not that old yet :rofl:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am though. I just tell people I am 21 plus VAT.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am though. I just tell people I am 21 plus VAT.
You're only as old as you feel
CuriosityYay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Plus quite a bit more.
Reading ecolier's "about me".

He is a boy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?