Top Tips for 3A*’s at A-Level ? (bio chem maths)

Watch
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m going into gear 13 and i am aiming for 3 A*’s, any tips from previous a level students?
My exam boards are edexcel maths, aqa chemistry and ocr biology
mahtabmimi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Haha, I did the exact same subjects and exam boards as you & got 3 A*s - tips would be:
- make notes on each topic, after you cover it in lessons and answer topic questions on physics and maths tutor
- make sure you understand the concept completely & inside out before leaving the lesson; ask as many times as necessary
- complete pp Qs and booklets for the end of each term
- revise for your mocks like they're the real exams
- make a to-do list for each day
- maths especially- do all the questions available to you & do the textbooks questions in 1/2 hr sittings so you can recognise where you're repeatedly making mistakes
After February I'd recommend starting your final round of revision, make a list of all the topics and points for each subject (except maths where just doing past papers c3/4 especially and working through questions you get wrong is enough) and each module and count how many days left until the date where you wanna finish revision e.g. if biology has 30 topics and 150 points & you're aiming to finish revision by 1st May (to just do past papers from then on) then you have 3 months to complete these points so around 2 points per day. Also look into making a spreadsheet with your topics and reviewing how confident you feel with each by colour coding, e.g. dark green for cell structure but red for muscle contraction, so next time I'll revise muscle contraction as I feel less confident.
-Test yourself when you're not at your desk, when you're in the shower or walking to the shops
- cover your walls in posters with "memory" topics e.g. inorganic chem or immune response
- aqa chemistry is a ***** and very specific MEMORISE MARKSCHEME ANSWERS
- past paper questions are the key to the a* bc it allows you to "feel out" what topic the question wants you to use knowledge from
- i'd recommend taking time to recognise where the topics in your subject can cross over e.g. respiration and muscle contraction because exam questions are rarely straightforward and will mix topics especially ocr biology
- regularly check in with yourself & set targets e.g. x3 maths papers per week or complete x2 sets of mod 4 questions and see what you're neglecting
- if you're avoiding revising a topic then it'll bite you in the ass
- cover everything in the spec- even the boring environmental stuff in bio and the chemistry practicals< really really helpful & can be easy marks

In exam season focus on refreshing key memory things and giving markscheme answers
Good luck and it is within you're reach!
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=mahtabmimi;84779268]Haha, I did the exact same subjects and exam boards as you & got 3 A*s - tips would be:
- make notes on each topic, after you cover it in lessons and answer topic questions on physics and maths tutor
- make sure you understand the concept completely & inside out before leaving the lesson; ask as many times as necessary
- maths especially- do all the questions available to you & do the textbooks questions in 1/2 hr sittings so you can recognise where you're repeatedly making mistakes
After February I'd recommend starting your final round of revision, make a list of all the topics and points for each subject (except maths where just doing past papers c3/4 especially and working through questions you get wrong is enough) and each module and count how many days left until the date where you wanna finish revision e.g. if biology has 30 topics and 150 points & you're aiming to finish revision by 1st May (to just do past papers from then on) then you have 3 months to complete these points so around 2 points per day. Also look into making a spreadsheet with your topics and reviewing how confident you feel with each by colour coding, e.g. dark green for cell structure but red for muscle contraction, so next time I'll revise muscle contraction as I feel less confident.
-Test yourself when you're not at your desk, when you're in the shower or walking to the shops
- cover your walls in posters with "memory" topics e.g. inorganic chem or immune response
- past paper questions are the key to the a* bc it allows you to "feel out" what topic the question wants you to use knowledge from
- i'd recommend taking time to recognise where the topics in your subject can cross over e.g. respiration and muscle contraction because exam questions are rarely straightforward and will mix topics especially ocr biology
- regularly check in with yourself & set targets e.g. x3 maths papers per week or complete x2 sets of mod 4 questions and see what you're neglecting
- cover everything in the spec- even the boring environmental stuff in bio and the chemistry practicals< really really helpful & can be easy marks

In exam season focus on refreshing key memory things and giving markscheme answers
Good luck and it is within you're reach![/F
(Original post by mahtabmimi)
Haha, I did the exact same subjects and exam boards as you & got 3 A*s - tips would be:

Good luck and it is within you're reach!
Thanks for so much detail! What would you recommend doing the night before/morning of an exam?
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
d0nkey_dude

Some great tips here already!! I would also add that there might be some other useful tips here.

The morning before or night before is entirely up to you and different people prefer different things. Some like to unwind and try to relax whilst I know others who like to cram right up until the last minute. It's whatever works for you

I'd suggest getting a night routine where you can unwind and relax to ensure you get the best sleep possible - and have a good breakfast in the morning
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by brainzistheword)
d0nkey_dude

Some great tips here already!! I would also add that there might be some other useful tips here.

The morning before or night before is entirely up to you and different people prefer different things. Some like to unwind and try to relax whilst I know others who like to cram right up until the last minute. It's whatever works for you

I'd suggest getting a night routine where you can unwind and relax to ensure you get the best sleep possible - and have a good breakfast in the morning
Thanks, there are some brilliant tips on the thread!!
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
Thanks, there are some brilliant tips on the thread!!
Glad I could help, good luck with your studies
HUSSAI55
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Practice past papers and maybe try to do past papers of other exam boards with similar topics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (181)
15.3%
Uncertainty around my education (194)
16.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (117)
9.89%
Isolating with family (82)
6.93%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (46)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.37%
Loneliness (114)
9.64%
Financial worries (52)
4.4%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
9.3%
Exposure to negative news/social media (87)
7.35%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (101)
8.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed