?
Report 1 month ago
no
purplpeanut
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
actually if there is not enough oxygen in the water they are breathing, they can die. So yes, fish can drown.
ml55
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sure.

After keeping an aquarium for many years and having killed soooo many fish (so sorry, little fellas) because of my water chemistry ineptness, I learned a few things the hard way.

Fish require oxygen, just like we do. Oxygen is naturally present in water, in the form of dissolved oxygen gas. A fish breathes oxygen and reacts harshly to low oxygen levels, just like we do, evidenced by increases in heart rate and respiration. Generally, this can be witness through slow, belabored breathing (they "look" like they're struggling to breathe).

As they breathe, they consume oxygen and expel carbon dioxide, just like us. While this is not a problem for us, in an enclosed water environment, this slowly, but gradually, depletes the life-sustaining oxygen from the water. The only place the new oxygen can re-enter the water to replace the consumed oxygen is the surface where water meets air. This surface is limited in size (relative to the volume of water).

Aquarists use air pumps to bring oxygen-deficient water up to the surface via the bubbles that float to the top, creating a mild, but constant circulating effect, thus maintaining the oxygen levels needed for fish to survive.

You may have seen koi ponds that do not appear to have this same circulation environment I am describing. Why don't those fish drown? Good question. It is because these ponds are very shallow and the koi swim near the surface of the water, where oxygen is plentiful. You may also notice them periodically taking gulps of air, as their mouths protrude above the surface of the water.

In contrast, put 100 fish into a small 20-gallon tank and they'll all die for sure, even with aeration (fish to water ratio is much too great).

Needless to say, without adequate oxygenation, the poor little guys will drown.
RocketTheSlayer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ml55)
Sure.

After keeping an aquarium for many years and having killed soooo many fish (so sorry, little fellas) because of my water chemistry ineptness, I learned a few things the hard way.

Fish require oxygen, just like we do. Oxygen is naturally present in water, in the form of dissolved oxygen gas. A fish breathes oxygen and reacts harshly to low oxygen levels, just like we do, evidenced by increases in heart rate and respiration. Generally, this can be witness through slow, belabored breathing (they "look" like they're struggling to breathe).

As they breathe, they consume oxygen and expel carbon dioxide, just like us. While this is not a problem for us, in an enclosed water environment, this slowly, but gradually, depletes the life-sustaining oxygen from the water. The only place the new oxygen can re-enter the water to replace the consumed oxygen is the surface where water meets air. This surface is limited in size (relative to the volume of water).

Aquarists use air pumps to bring oxygen-deficient water up to the surface via the bubbles that float to the top, creating a mild, but constant circulating effect, thus maintaining the oxygen levels needed for fish to survive.

You may have seen koi ponds that do not appear to have this same circulation environment I am describing. Why don't those fish drown? Good question. It is because these ponds are very shallow and the koi swim near the surface of the water, where oxygen is plentiful. You may also notice them periodically taking gulps of air, as their mouths protrude above the surface of the water.

In contrast, put 100 fish into a small 20-gallon tank and they'll all die for sure, even with aeration (fish to water ratio is much too great).

Needless to say, without adequate oxygenation, the poor little guys will drown.
How many gallons of fishes did you precisely kill to obtain such useful but tragic info? :smokin:
ml55
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MehrkishA8)
How many gallons of fishes did you precisely kill to obtain such useful but tragic info? :smokin:
some questions are beat left unanswered
RocketTheSlayer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ml55)
some questions are beat left unanswered
Right! :yum:

Spoiler:
Show

I wonder what would happen if you were studying terrestrial life? :cookie:
(You would have probably killed some humans :mmm: or have ya? :afraid:)
ml55
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Right! :yum:

Spoiler:
Show

I wonder what would happen if you were studying terrestrial life? :cookie:
(You would have probably killed some humans :mmm: or have ya? :afraid:)
I don't consider minorities to be human so legally I've never murdered a human
RocketTheSlayer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ml55)
I don't consider minorities to be human so legally I've never murdered a human
Are u legally kiddin?
ml55
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are u legally kiddin?
I'm legally illegal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.63%
Pop (231)
24.81%
Jazz (35)
3.76%
Classical (56)
6.02%
Hip-Hop (174)
18.69%