The Student Room Group

Next steps i should take? UCAS

(edited 4 years ago)
I haven't heard of Herts but I definitely agree you should call them. Trying won't hurt you.
Reply 2
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ra1500
What do you think is the best way to explain my situation to ucl?

I'm afraid they will have already considered you and there's no point in asking them to still accept you for the course. You would only be able to transfer unis if they have space and want to take you (so first year grades for example). An accredited course like pharmacy might be very difficult as well, depending on their structure
Reply 4
How do you transfer, isit through ucas?
Original post by ra1500
How do you transfer, isit through ucas?

Do you mean to Herts? If UCL rejected you and you met your offer for Herts then they should have changed to unconditional on UCAS :smile:
Reply 6
I have a place at herts, i want to transfer to ucl?
Kingston university is in clearing, have you thought about it as an option? :smile:
Original post by ra1500
I have a place at herts, i want to transfer to ucl?

If they have already rejected you as your firm/insurance, you can't apply to them in Clearing for the same course I'm afraid
Reply 9
In reference to transferring after 1st year??
Reply 10
Its on the same rank as Hertfordshire so i dont see the point im afraid. Plus im commuting so its abit long
Original post by ra1500
In reference to transferring after 1st year??

Oh I see. You certainly shouldn't work on the assumption that you'll be able to transfer after the first year to UCL. They may not have space, or they may not see your first year as sufficient to move onto their second year, or they may decide that your results aren't high enough. There is no way to know and UCL won't know at this stage either.
Reply 12
Original post by ra1500
Ok so i got BCC for my alevels, and want to study mpharm, UCL wanted BBB and so declined my application- i have a confirmed place at uni of herts. Should i still phone up ucl or do i have no chance? I really wanted to study in London. Is herts a really sh*tty uni? How does transferring for second year work? Im so stressed!

Good evening! Well done on getting BCC for your A-Levels even though that may not be what you wanted/expected. It's still a decent grade. In terms of what you can do next, UCL won't reconsider if they've already considered your application so I wouldn't waste time with them. In terms of next steps, I understand that you really want to study in London but having looked on UCAS Search tool there's not much options in London and they all want really high grades sadly (also check the uni website which is more up to date). If you're really keen on pharmacy, it may be better to consider looking outside London as that would widen the options for finding a university that offers this course in Clearing with the grades you have. Alternatively, you could do an alternative course but since I don't study the Sciences, I'm not in the best position to give you advice on that apart from general UCAS Clearing and Applications advice. I hope this helps and seriously well done on making it this far in your academic studies! #BeResultsProud :smile:
Original post by ra1500
Ok so i got BCC for my alevels, and want to study mpharm, UCL wanted BBB and so declined my application- i have a confirmed place at uni of herts. Should i still phone up ucl or do i have no chance? I really wanted to study in London. Is herts a really sh*tty uni? How does transferring for second year work? Im so stressed!

Good evening @ra1500!

Congratulations on the BCC, they are still good grades: A Levels are very tough. Although I am sorry to hear that you missed your UCL offer.

Hertfordshire isn't as bad as you may think. We are one of the largest campus Universities in the country, with 25,000 students. Hertfordshire is a great place to study the MPharm degree. Have you tried comparing the Herts and UCL MPharm on Unistats? You may be surprised - Hertfordshire seems to have a slight edge over UCL for that course across most metrics, including student satisfaction which is 87% at Herts and 77% at UCL. Hertfordshire has also been awarded TEF Gold - a government measure for University teaching quality. Gold is the highest standard and shows that Herts "consistently delivers outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students".

Hertfordshire is pretty accessible for commuters. We are just 5-10 minutes drive from the M25 and a 25 minute train from Kings Cross. You can also travel to the University via Moorgate, Finsbury Park and Highbury & Islington. In the past we have held regular events for our commuting students, such as a commuters breakfast. We have our own campus Pharmacy, in fact we were one of the first Universities to open a Pharmacy operated by its own Department of Pharmacy. Our two Libraries are open around the clock and have their own Cafes inside.

I have been studying at the University of Hertfordshire for the past two years so if you have any questions about the course or student life at Herts, do let me know! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending