RE: Can I do 3 A levels in three years ? One A level each year? Watch

90'S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I failed my A levels and I am determined to do them all over again but i'll only change one A level this will be Law I will replace it with something else I not sure yet. I want to do 3 a levels but not at once so this year only I do Biology the following year I only do psychology the year after that I do (still thinking of a third subject) so in 2023 I'll finish all my a levels hopefully get 3A's to study medicine doing this will I be able to apply for medicine ? what's anyone's honest suggestions PLEASE

I am DETERMINED to do Medicine VERY I will be doing this privately also I will be 25 in 3 years time GUYS HELP ME WHAT DO YOU THINK !!!!!!!!!!!! **CRYING**
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medical schools normally don't consider applicants who have taken A-levels over more than two years. ecolier or nexttime might be able to advise if any are an exception to that, but as far as I'm aware they all expect applicants to have done all three A-levels in the usual two year time frame unless you have exceptional extenuating circumstances.

That would leave you the option of applying to medicine as a graduate; have a look at information on graduate entry medicine in the UK to understand the requirements for this route. Bear in mind GEM is usually more competitive than standard entry medicine.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You've only just found out results - it sounds like you're very disappointed but the dust will settle dw!

Can you give us a little more background? School leaver? What grades did you get? Did you miss offers or did you not get them to begin with?

Resit policies are here. They are subject to change, and that site may be a little out of date - anything important confirm with the uni website. If anything is unclear, contact the uni directly.

Your idea to effectively take A-levels over 5 years... I mean that's highly unusual, and very time consuming. How will you finance that? GEM might be a better option. If so, you might want to get onto UCAS ASAP, assuming you didn't have a 5th option either.

And ultimately, you might need to consider the possibility that medicine isn't for you. However, there are plenty of other healthcare and medical science roles that are well worth looking into.
90'S
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
You've only just found out results - it sounds like you're very disappointed but the dust will settle dw!

Can you give us a little more background? School leaver? What grades did you get? Did you miss offers or did you not get them to begin with?

Resit policies are here. They are subject to change, and that site may be a little out of date - anything important confirm with the uni website. If anything is unclear, contact the uni directly.

Your idea to effectively take A-levels over 5 years... I mean that's highly unusual, and very time consuming. How will you finance that? GEM might be a better option. If so, you might want to get onto UCAS ASAP, assuming you didn't have a 5th option either.

And ultimately, you might need to consider the possibility that medicine isn't for you. However, there are plenty of other healthcare and medical science roles that are well worth looking into.
I got CCD and why is GEM the best option ? and I believe everyone's journey is different some it will take them longer some it wouldn't lool I want to do As and A2 Biology this year the year after I do another subect As and A2 at the same time the year before that I do AS and A2 in another subject hopefully like this i will get A's because I will only be doing one A level per year because I think since I'm doing privately there is no point in me rushing as long as i get the grades even if all medical schools rejects me at least one will accept me I don't know if you get what I mean so I wont do the alevel for 5 years i'm basically starting again my alevels from scratch do you get me ? and thank you so much for replying
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 90'S)
I got CCD and why is GEM the best option ? and I believe everyone's journey is different some it will take them longer some it wouldn't lool I want to do As and A2 Biology this year the year after I do another subect As and A2 at the same time the year before that I do AS and A2 in another subject hopefully like this i will get A's because I will only be doing one A level per year because I think since I'm doing privately there is no point in me rushing as long as i get the grades even if all medical schools rejects me at least one will accept me I don't know if you get what I mean so I wont do the alevel for 5 years i'm basically starting again my alevels from scratch do you get me ? and thank you so much for replying
I understand you perfectly. You are suggesting retaking A-levels you have (in two cases) already spent 2 years on, over 3 years. So you are doing A-levels over 5 years.

Did you read the resit policies I linked? Some do accept them, but the circumstance they had in mind was likely 3 years, not 5. I would certainly contact any unis you were thinking of applying to to check they are ok with that.

'There is no point in rushing' - except who is paying for this? You didn't answer my question. There's also no guarantee it will work whatsoever. In fact, you likely won't get in, based purely on the fact that ~60% of applicants don't secure any offers.

Graduate Entry Medicine might be better as you can enter university this year, do a 3 year degree, then apply for GEM which takes 4 years. You've then completed medicine within 7 years, rather than the 6 it would normally take (with the additional intercalated degree).

Positives:
You'll get a degree
You can keep reapplying to GEM with a degree +/- graduate job safe in hand. If you only do A-levels you won't have that backup.
It avoids all the very atypical stuff with your A-levels and having to navigate a minefield of medical retake acceptance policies.
It saves you two years of study
You get paid (in student loans) to study. Whereas A-levels obviously you don't.

Negatives:
GEM typically has a higher competition ratio than undergrad. However, with your situation I can't state confidently that it would be harder for you to get into GEM. It might be easier.
GEM will rack up more student loans.

And did you give any thought to the other roles I suggested? There are some great degree choices/careers out there - physiotherapy, pharmacy, pharmacology, biomedical scientist, dietitian, occupational therapist.
2500_2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 90'S)
I failed my A levels and I am determined to do them all over again but i'll only change one A level this will be Law I will replace it with something else I not sure yet. I want to do 3 a levels but not at once so this year only I do Biology the following year I only do psychology the year after that I do (still thinking of a third subject) so in 2023 I'll finish all my a levels hopefully get 3A's to study medicine doing this will I be able to apply for medicine ? what's anyone's honest suggestions PLEASE

I am DETERMINED to do Medicine VERY I will be doing this privately also I will be 25 in 3 years time GUYS HELP ME WHAT DO YOU THINK !!!!!!!!!!!! **CRYING**
There is nothing wrong with this approach if you can afford it, but it definitely won't get you into a medicine degree - unis need to be confident you can cope with the pace and workload of the degree.

It sounds like your plan to do medicine is quite a recent one (or you'd know that Chemistry Alevel is essential), so I'm guessing it's the professional career that is the appeal. There are LOTS of other well-paid and good careers in the health industry, I'd really encourage you to do some further research into those options.
IrisM65
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It sounds as if you are not thinking very clearly about this.

1) nexttime has given you really good advice, but you seem reluctant to take it despite asking what others think.

2) It concerns me that along with everything else you are ‘still trying to think of a third subject’ when all of the information states clearly that you need A Level chemistry!

3) You have contradicted yourself by saying ‘even if all medical schools reject me at least one will accept me.’ That does not make sense and as nexttime pointed out 40% of applicants don’t get a place anywhere to study medicine.

Really and truly, taking five years to do three A Levels indicates to medical schools that you will struggle with the level and intensity of study.

There are lots of other options which nexttime has suggested. Why are you so reluctant to take the GEM option? You will get on to a BSc even with your grades. Proving yourself there is far more valuable than spending another three years on A levels!

Good luck.
Last edited by IrisM65; 1 month ago
90'S
Rep:
?
Hi thank you for replying also what is meant by BSc please and the Gem Option is the graduation entry to medicine right ? and If I do Bsc can I do medicine after wouldn't I need 3A's from A level already also can you please explain to be what Bsc is and how I can apply ( sorry I moved in the UK less than 5 years I dont know what BSc is )
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you can't handle A levels normally, you definitely can't handle medicine. Not trying to patronise you, but you're not cut out out for it.
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 90'S)
Hi thank you for replying also what is meant by BSc please and the Gem Option is the graduation entry to medicine right ? and If I do Bsc can I do medicine after wouldn't I need 3A's from A level already also can you please explain to be what Bsc is and how I can apply ( sorry I moved in the UK less than 5 years I dont know what BSc is )
BSc is a batchelor's of science (ie an undergraduate degree). That's not hard to google...

You clearly have not researched this dream that you are "determined" to achieve whatsoever. You need Chemistry A-level for medicine. No medical school in their right mind would accept someone who took 5 years to do 3 A-levels. Even if you made it, it would have been 2 years since you did your first subject and you'd probably have forgotten a lot of it. You said you got CCD in your first try - this is well below the standard AAA for medicine. The majority of candidates get zero offers out of four, even if they do have AAA.

Medicine is an extremely competitive and high-workload course, and for good reason. If you have 2 hours to see 3 patients for urgent issues and you decide instead you need 5 hours, that's not going to work.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 90'S)
Oh wow ok I missed that you were thinking of not doing chemistry - if so you definitely definitely can't do the undergrad entry option. Getting into medicine without chemistry is possible, but not with the already substantial restrictions needing to retake requires.

Some GEM courses look at A-levels, some don't. You will have a degree by then - do well in that and you'd be in with a chance.

But as everyone keeps saying, you need to have a backup plan. Even if that plan involves reapplying to medicine lots and lots, what are you going to do in the meantime?

Btw I assume you are a UK resident i.e. eligible for domestic fees?

Edit: and you do realise clearing is a time-dependent process right? Really wasn't smart to leave it two days before reading the responses on here, and really not smart to leave this any longer. You need to decide now or there won't be any places left for this year...
Last edited by nexttime; 1 month ago
Nununu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should apply for a biomedicine/Biological Bsc in clearing, on UCAS.

Hurry spaces are filling up fast.

Get a first or a upper second class honours and relevant work experience (I'm guessing you don't have), and then apply for GEM (graduate entry medicine). If you don't know what any of this means, Google it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads