The Student Room Group

Conditional offer but asked for a 750 essay

I’ve been given a conditional offer but they have asked me to write an 750 essay before they can make a proper decision. Has anyone experienced this before ?
Original post by Ceeceex
I’ve been given a conditional offer but they have asked me to write an 750 essay before they can make a proper decision. Has anyone experienced this before ?

Well the UCAS personal statement is about 500 words, so it's only slightly longer than that. It's not hugely uncommon for universities to ask for an alternate personal statement if you applied to another subject originally. I had to submit alternate personal statements for a couple unis when I applied through clearing (way back when).

Asking for a specific essay format is somewhat unusual; a few universities expect some kind of marked work (e.g. an essay) to be submitted as part of the application process, but this is usually much earlier in the year. Which university, and for what subject, is this for?
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Well the UCAS personal statement is about I 500 words, so it's only slightly longer than that. It's not hugely uncommon for universities to ask for an alternate personal statement if you applied to another subject originally. I had to submit alternate personal statements for a couple unis when I applied through clearing (way back when).

Asking for a specific essay format is somewhat unusual; a few universities expect some kind of marked work (e.g. an essay) to be submitted as part of the application process, but this is usually much earlier in the year. Which university, and for what subject, is this for?

The course is for foundation business management and tourism and the uni is Wolverhampton. I already hold a level 2 qualification in business. They want me to write an essay about the following on this
“What are the advantages to studying an undergraduate degree and how do you think the successful completion of your degree will help you in your life?”
Original post by Ceeceex
The course is for foundation business management and tourism and the uni is Wolverhampton. I already hold a level 2 qualification in business. They want me to write an essay about the following on this
“What are the advantages to studying an undergraduate degree and how do you think the successful completion of your degree will help you in your life?”

Sounds fairly generic, just pick some line of argument and develop that closely. They aren't going to be looking for any subject specific content with a question like that, I would think (although you could include some stuff about business development and the relevance of a degree in that vs entrepreneurship etc).
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Sounds fairly generic, just pick some line of argument and develop that closely. They aren't going to be looking for any subject specific content with a question like that, I would think (although you could include some stuff about business development and the relevance of a degree in that vs entrepreneurship etc).

I’ve also been holding a conditional offer with them for a different course since June through ucas but obviously couldn’t meet the conditions with that. They have yet to update it on ucas so I’m unable to go through clearing and now applying for this course with them and asking for an essay. I just feel like they are going to mess me about and they ain’t the greatest uni.
Original post by Ceeceex
I’ve also been holding a conditional offer with them for a different course since June through ucas but obviously couldn’t meet the conditions with that. They have yet to update it on ucas so I’m unable to go through clearing and now applying for this course with them and asking for an essay. I just feel like they are going to mess me about and they ain’t the greatest uni.

The "essay" is probably functionally just an alternate personal statement in disguise, in that case. It's pretty normal for universities to ask for alternate personal statements if you're applying to another course and your original personal statement isn't relevant. It's a little strange they'd frame it in terms of an essay but, whatever.

750 words isn't a lot, and there are any number of lines of argument you could take to approach the question, all of them valid, so it doesn't seem that onerous a task. However if you aren't that keen on the uni, don't waste time with that; just call them and tell them to release you into clearing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ceeceex

Yeah, when I was applying for my course all universities required either an essay, an exam or both to be done alongside an interview
Reply 7
Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending