happytobehere
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i don’t mean to come across disrespectful, i’m just genuinely curious; do all people with anxiety experience panic/anxiety attacks? do you have to get them to be diagnosed with anxiety?
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone on earth gets a sympathetic nervous system response often called fight or flight (there are other names). The severity of the reaction to this, the symptoms and the thoughts and behaviours afterwards are all up for debate. There isn't as rigid a definition as some people think.

- some people only label very severe daylight panic attacks around other people as panic attacks
- some people tend to emphasize it for social anxiety or for panic disorder.
- some people get them at night or first thing in the morning.
- some people describe very panic attack-like symptoms and call them something else or just think it is normal to have them occasionally.
- many people with anxiety or depression and various other medical conditions get them occasionally.

I have a few big panic attacks a year but don't identify particularly with having them. It used to be about 1 a year for a while. I have been told flat out by other people that I don't have panic attacks as if I did I would get them all the time and know about it. Most people are great at talking about it though and see the similarities between peoples experiences.
Em395
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have been diagnosed with anxiety for about four years but it wasn't until this year that I started having an increased number of panic attacks so no I would not associate anxiety solely with panic attacks.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by happytobehere)
i don’t mean to come across disrespectful, i’m just genuinely curious; do all people with anxiety experience panic/anxiety attacks? do you have to get them to be diagnosed with anxiety?
No you don't have to be diagnosed with anxiety to have panic / anxiety attacks normally panic attacks happen for no reason. However anxiety attacks happen when you have something to be anxious about like exams or public speaking. These can happen to anyone, but in my experience people who have anxiety experience more of these attacks or minor attacks on an everyday basis.
lobster1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by happytobehere)
I get a tightening of my chest and I struggle to breathe when I have a panic attack. they are usually brought on by either food (still recovering from an eating disorder), claustrophobia, crowds or even just something very inconsequential which builds up in my head. I have been diagnosed with anxiety, but I think anyone can have anxiety to an extent, it's just anxiety attacks are something quite different to simply being anxious, they're uncontrollable.
caitlin__xxoxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be diagnosed with 'anxiety' is quite a broad term as there are many types of anxiety disorders; generalised anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder, PTSD, OCD, social phobia etc.
So, in short...no. People diagnosed with an anxiety disorder do not necessarily experience panic attacks, although it is a common symptom.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (4)
7.14%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (31)
55.36%
No (21)
37.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise