The Student Room Group

Is it too soon to propose?

I met my girlfriend in March. We were exclusive straight away, and we became official (not that it made much difference) in June. We love each other, can't imagine life without each other and have already had big conversations.

We've booked to go away for New Year, and I'm considering asking her to marry me. I know she'll say yes.

But is it too soon? We'll probably have an indefinite engagement, saving up til we can have a wedding we want, not one we could just about afford.
I think it's too soon personally
I would agree with it being too soon. It's easy to think about marriage when you're in the honeymoon period but you need to get to the point where normality kicks in, you've lived together, know each others bad habits and annoyances, what each are really like etc before considering getting engaged.
(edited 4 years ago)
Too soon.
Have you lived together for a while yet? Because imo that's the make or break situation tbh. If you can live with their odd living habits (cause there will likely be one or two) then it's worth trying marriage.

I'd say live together for at least a year, then see how things go.
I'd say....Go for it! :wink:
I agree. Too soon
Original post by Anonymous
I met my girlfriend in March. We were exclusive straight away, and we became official (not that it made much difference) in June. We love each other, can't imagine life without each other and have already had big conversations.

We've booked to go away for New Year, and I'm considering asking her to marry me. I know she'll say yes.

But is it too soon? We'll probably have an indefinite engagement, saving up til we can have a wedding we want, not one we could just about afford.

Personal choice. How old are you both?

I would wait till you get to know her better.
No. Not too soon.

In most countries people get married sooner after starting to see each other than they tend to in UK so it's purely a British social trend to 'wait a few years' or something.

6 months- 1 year is plenty of time to get to know someone enough to know you want to marry them.

Waiting too long can also be a mistake.
Reply 9
It must be said, we would be having a long engagement. Essentially, it is just buying a ring and changing my introduction from 'my girlfriend' to 'my fiancée'. It's not like I'm booking the wedding.

That's my attitude to it at least.
that is way too soon...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending