Mick Beever
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which university is better, in general: University of York or University of Leeds? Leeds is my firm and York is my insurance, and now I have the choice to attend either one. I plan on doing biology or psychology at either (depending on whether they let me switch to psychology at York) and need to make a decision by the 19th.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mick Beever)
Which university is better, in general: University of York or University of Leeds? Leeds is my firm and York is my insurance, and now I have the choice to attend either one. I plan on doing biology or psychology at either (depending on whether they let me switch to psychology at York) and need to make a decision by the 19th.
Whichever you like the look of more?
butts>exams
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends on your criteria for ‘best’. York I would say is better respected nationally and internationally than Leeds and has very good connections globally. Leeds of course has the same but I think York just has the edge. As a city Leeds is better (i am doing my masters there after an undergrad at York for this very reason) and I think you can certainly do more there, not just nights out but living better. York is pretty separated from the actual centre and there’s plenty of history and cute streets and shops so if that’s your thing then it gets the edge.

Accommodation and MH support at York are poor and I can’t yet speak for Leeds. The split campuses at York make living on east very dull. This is personal but I felt very out of place with a lot of people at York as I’m from a working class background - I feel this would be less of an issue in Leeds as I live locally anyway and know the city is very diverse.

Psychology is good at both unis from those I have known studying. Whatever fits best for you really though I’m sure you’ll have a great time at either!
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there,

First of all, well done and congratulations on your A levels! :rave:

Both York and Leeds are great options, and I'd personally recommend York having recently graduated from there myself, but it's about what's right for you. I studied Psychology and if that's what you're interested in at York then I have 3 years of experience to answer any questions you might have. The course is varied and covers a lot of different topics so there'll be something for you, and everyone in the department is really lovely and helpful. Here's the link to the department page: http://bit.ly/2Z6UuCb.

One of the main differences though is the size of the city. York is relatively small and so has more of a town vibe, and Leeds is a bit bigger and has more of a metropolitan feel. It really just depends on what you're looking for from your university experience. York is an amazing place to live (it was named the best place to live in Britain by The Sunday Times in 2018) and it's also a great place to study - we have a TEF Gold award for our teaching and we also have the highest rating for overall satisfaction of the Russell Group universities included in the National Student Survey 2019.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I hope you choose York. Good luck!

Steph
(Psychology Graduate and Communications Graduate Ambassador)
Mick Beever
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by University of York)
Hi there,

First of all, well done and congratulations on your A levels! :rave:

Both York and Leeds are great options, and I'd personally recommend York having recently graduated from there myself, but it's about what's right for you. I studied Psychology and if that's what you're interested in at York then I have 3 years of experience to answer any questions you might have. The course is varied and covers a lot of different topics so there'll be something for you, and everyone in the department is really lovely and helpful. Here's the link to the department page: http://bit.ly/2Z6UuCb.

One of the main differences though is the size of the city. York is relatively small and so has more of a town vibe, and Leeds is a bit bigger and has more of a metropolitan feel. It really just depends on what you're looking for from your university experience. York is an amazing place to live (it was named the best place to live in Britain by The Sunday Times in 2018) and it's also a great place to study - we have a TEF Gold award for our teaching and we also have the highest rating for overall satisfaction of the Russell Group universities included in the National Student Survey 2019.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I hope you choose York. Good luck!

Steph
(Psychology Graduate and Communications Graduate Ambassador)
Here’s the funky thing: I applied for York to do biology. If I reject my firm (Leeds) to accept my insurance (York) will I be able to do psychology at York instead of biology? Is there any possibility of me showing up in October and being told that I’m stuck in biology?
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here’s the funky thing: I applied for York to do biology. If I reject my firm (Leeds) to accept my insurance (York) will I be able to do psychology at York instead of biology? Is there any possibility of me showing up in October and being told that I’m stuck in biology?
Hi there,

Changing programmes depends on a few different things, such as whether you meet the grade requirements of the other course, and whether there are places available on the course, so you might not be able to switch over. Here's a link with more information: http://bit.ly/2Pd5Z7k. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. You might be able to find out more from Student Support (http://bit.ly/2MpturF) and Student Services (http://bit.ly/2YUuj2m).

Good luck!
Steph
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
15.2%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.4%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.6%
I need help with my personal statement (47)
37.6%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
26.4%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.4%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (8)
6.4%

Watched Threads