Universities offer cash to students to fill places.

Watch
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...aces-qw7js88j5

For those who don’t have a times subscription, here are the main points from the article.

• Prospective students has fallen by 3%, while Unis have expanded.
  • Westminster Uni was offering clearing scholarships over the 3 years worth £4500 exclusively for clearing students
  • Bedfordshire was offering a £1500 bursary for all, with students achieving a BBC getting £2400
  • Roehampton is offering £3000 for academic excellence, sports and Esports.
  • Aberwysmith are offering guaranteed accommodation and £2000 scholarships

Critics have said it will entice students, in particular poorer ones, into the wrong decision . With a former head of UCAS question whether this is a marketing tactic or a proper use of public funds.
While Tom Richmond, head of a think tank claimed that it’s the Unis prioritising what’s best from them rather than their students.

Tagging 04MR17 as I know he might have an opinion on this.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
She-Ra Puddles the Monkey
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yet another symptom of a marketised HE sector. If people don't want this to happen then lobby the government to change things back to how they were. Direct state funding of universities and greater control over policy and practice at each institution.

I don't disagree with this tactic because the institution has a right to do what they legally can to get students.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why have you tagged these 2?
niamhdoesmaths
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)

For those who don’t have a times subscription, here are the main points from the article.

• Westminster Uni was offering clearing scholarships over the 3 years worth £4500 exclusively for clearing students
  • Bedfordshire was offering a £1500 bursary for all, with students achieving a BBC getting £2400

Critics have said it will entice students, in particular poorer ones, into the wrong decision . With a former head of UCAS question whether this is a marketing tactic or a proper use of public funds.
While Tom Richmond, head of a think tank claimed that it’s the Unis prioritising what’s best from them rather than their students.

Good lord
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because it's interesting... some universities have been offering these kinds of bursaries fora while but perhaps it is now becoming more common? :beard:
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
£4500, nice bait and they know it. Although bursaries exist with all universities.
Last edited by random_matt; 1 year ago
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I'm curious as to what scholarships are available for those who have gotten into Westminster, not through Clearing. Because surely they will feel cheated if they achieved the grades and yet aren't getting any 'reward' for this.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because they were work for TSR and might want to be aware of this.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Edminzodo)
I'm curious as to what scholarships are available for those who have gotten into Westminster, not through Clearing. Because surely they will feel cheated if they achieved the grades and yet aren't getting any 'reward' for this.
The article misrepresents what Westminster were doing. There are 40 clearing scholarships dependent on interview for clearing applicants who exceeded the published minimum clearing offers by at least 1 grade.

Of course they are a bribe to attract better candidates who might otherwise go elsewhere, but aren’t all scholarships?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.84%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.87%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.05%

Watched Threads