1233333344s222
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, so I achieved A*A*A at A level (A* in Chemistry and psychology, A in maths) and have absolutely no clue what to do next. I have applied to chemistry as a degree but thinking about doing chemical engineeering as it seems to have more job prospects and better pay. However I truly do not know what to do and have little passion for any kind of subject so should I just take a gap year? I really don’t know what to do with my life and need help. Thankyou
Random_Student
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Either ask for advice from a guidance tutor, look at some courses at a favourite uni (if you have a favourite that is), or if you’re not interested in doing any of those, then take a gap year. But a gap year has its ups and downs so think about it a little.
UCLan Student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 1233333344s222)
Hi, so I achieved A*A*A at A level (A* in Chemistry and psychology, A in maths) and have absolutely no clue what to do next. I have applied to chemistry as a degree but thinking about doing chemical engineeering as it seems to have more job prospects and better pay. However I truly do not know what to do and have little passion for any kind of subject so should I just take a gap year? I really don’t know what to do with my life and need help. Thankyou
Hey there!

First of all congratulations on those amazing results!!

I was in your exact situation a few years ago, I didn't want to make a quick decision incase it turned out to be the wrong choice. I took a gap year, did some part time work, explored the UK, and importantly really did my research into where I wanted to study. Unfortunately there is no correct answer here, this is a choice only you can make! But remember there is no rush! Try and get advice from as many sources as you can - parents, careers advisors etc.

I hope this helps!
Ry
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Take a Gap Year.

You need time to think and work out what you really want to do. Get a job (any job), earn some ££ and do some travel.

Just choosing any degree so that you can go to Uni when really your heart isnt in it, is a fairly certain recipe for not enjoying Uni and/or the course. Its a three year commitment - thats a long time to be miserable if you have made the wrong choice.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
With them grades you need to chose quickly because top clearing/adjustment places run out fast
Random_Student
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
With them grades you need to chose quickly because top clearing/adjustment places run out fast
No this isn’t true. If they don’t know what they wanna do, it’s not good to rush them. They have their grades secured and they are great grades. They can apply almost anywhere even if they take a gap year which they can use to gain experience and set up a strong application.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 1233333344s222)
ChemEng is mostly applied maths, not chemistry.

Congrats on your excellent grades. A nice gap year sounds ideal.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Random_Student)
No this isn’t true. If they don’t know what they wanna do, it’s not good to rush them. They have their grades secured and they are great grades. They can apply almost anywhere even if they take a gap year which they can use to gain experience and set up a strong application.
Yeah I mean if they don’t want to take a gap year. Of course a gap year is also a great option.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congrats on your results first of all,

not many, certainly not all, students know what to do, at time of UCAS application - sometimes it can dawn over time, as you study , as the direction might become clear, tho' I have seen two friends who only realised after studying for their first year that they were in (potentially) the wrong course

Chem is a nice course, and it doesn't really matter what your first degree is in anyway! (however, you MUST choose your Master degree very carefully), the question is, would 3 or 4 years doing Chem, get you to the Master that you need, which you might not know which one that is yet!?

British Airways, simply require "A degree" for access to their jobs, similarly Work Visas for Arabia, Asia, USA all need "A degree"

here's a website that allows a bit of profiling, using their 'A'-Level explorer

https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

OK, it didn't give that exciting a result in "best match", P, C, M degrees, as expected

https://university.which.co.uk/a-lev...ychology?o=120

let's look at a few more of the targeted choices that they give based on your 'A'-Levels

Computing Science (mostly Maths),
Accounting (best salary - on average - after a decade of any degree) ,
Pharmacy (can be oversubscribed)

looking even wider

Unexpected matches
"OK, these probably weren't on your radar. But that didn't stop some students taking similar A-levels from pursuing these degree subjects as well"

Sociology, Finance, Mechanical Engineering,
Forensic Science, Biology, Teacher Training.
Economics, Civil Engineering, Medicine A100,
Law, Social Work, Aerospace Engineering,
Optometry, Electronic Engineering, Business & Management,
Speech Therapy, Radiography, Anthropology (under Professor Alice Roberts?)

Next point, presumably if you were predicted AAA(**/***/*) then you *might* have a Firm with a particular university

Can you call their adjustment department and ask for interesting degrees, if they have space in summat interesting, this is almost the worst thing that a university admissions dept wishes to ever hear, as their priority for an admission is to choose someone who has the passion to actually study, get up at 7am on a cold winter morning, and study and complete the degree. BUT, in your case it would be an honest discussion, as Chem hasn't yet given you that passion.

Last Point, Looking at your honest problem purely from the point of view of your excellent results, where will these get you on points alone?

some 'random' ideas with around 148 new ucas points
St Andrews , Economics & Geography (not sure if they are in Adjustment?)
UCL Camden Geophysics
EXETER Materials Engineering
Bristol Economics & Mathematics
Aberdeen Business management
BATH Natural Science
BRUNEL uxbridge Business Computing
Cambridge University History & Politics (but they don't usually do clearing or gap year - Oxford might)
LSE Financial Maths
Glasgow Caledonian Applied Psychology
Loughborough Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence

just a thought
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.34%
I don't have everything I need (90)
37.66%

Watched Threads