The Student Room Group

I'm not sure what to choose for my A-level courses

So, I'm unsure of which courses to choose for my A-levels. I think i am good at my sciences and wish to choose Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I've wanted that for quite a while however I'm not sure what to pick as a 4th option. In the past i wanted to choose Maths but during Y11 and trying GCSE Further Maths and dropping it, i started struggling with maths and lost my interest in doing it. But now I've moved towards wanting to do Psychology as i find the mind interesting but I'm not sure what to do. Are there people who have completed either Maths and/Or Psychology and can speak for its difficulty and whether it will be feasible with me doing all 3 sciences at the same time?

Edit: All courses are AQA except Psychology which is OCR. And i don't have my GCSE results yet but i was getting 8's in all 3 sciences and 6+/8's in Maths
(edited 4 years ago)
Maths A level is very difficult, only take it if you are sure you can cope. Everyone in my class got a 9 in GCSE maths, and only two out fifteen people were predicted an A*
Original post by AdilShaydullin
Maths A level is very difficult, only take it if you are sure you can cope. Everyone in my class got a 9 in GCSE maths, and only two out fifteen people were predicted an A*

That was my main worry, as i also know that the three sciences are difficult at A-level so Maths might be too much for me
Forget the above comment. A level Maths is only hard if you think its hard (its physiological). But A level fm is hard so maybe dont do fm.

I got a grade 6 at GCSE maths 2 years ago, and I just a grade A in A level maths yesterday. I swear down that you wont regret taking A level maths, it will make you smarter in every day life, it improves your problem solving abilities, it looks great on applications, it opens more doors (metaphorical).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TorinBramley
That was my main worry, as i also know that the three sciences are difficult at A-level so Maths might be too much for me

I would give maths a go, but make sure you are able to drop it if it does not go well, and that you have other subjecs that don't rely to heavily on maths.
Even though maths is very difficult you may struggle a lot with physics if you don’t do maths as at a level physics involves a lot of maths, even chemistry can be hard without maths, although it may be too hard you could risk sacrificing your other grades in physics and chemistry but not doing a level maths, in the end it’s only your highest 3 grades that matter so even if maths is much lower if your other 3 are good then you will be fine
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
Forget the above comment. A level Maths is only hard if you think its hard (its physiological). But A level fm is hard so maybe dont do fm.

I got a grade 6 at GCSE maths 2 years ago, and I just a grade A in A level maths yesterday. I swear down that you wont regret taking A level maths, it will make you smarter in every day life, it improves your problem solving abilities, it looks great on applications, it opens more doors (metaphorical).

From what i was told GCSE FM is pretty much the same as the start of A-lvl Maths/FM and i tried that and couldnt do it and dropped it to focus on my other GCSE's so my worry is that i couldnt do it before and its likely that i will really struggle, as much as i would love Maths on my CV
Original post by AdilShaydullin
I would give maths a go, but make sure you are able to drop it if it does not go well, and that you have other subjecs that don't rely to heavily on maths.

Thats what i think im most likely to do: try Maths, and if i cant do it, drop it for Psych
Original post by TorinBramley
From what i was told GCSE FM is pretty much the same as the start of A-lvl Maths/FM and i tried that and couldnt do it and dropped it to focus on my other GCSE's so my worry is that i couldnt do it before and its likely that i will really struggle, as much as i would love Maths on my CV

it gets easier over time. when I was at GCSE, I found GCSE maths hard. but when I got to A level, the GCSE content seemed easy, and then the A level content seemed hard. its all a matter of perspective.

If you put in the time at A level, you will come out with an incredible grade
Maths and three sciences? That's brutal! Haha. What I was told, for the three you do in year 13, was; maths, a science and a subject you enjoy.
Original post by MrMusician95
Maths and three sciences? That's brutal! Haha. What I was told, for the three you do in year 13, was; maths, a science and a subject you enjoy.

Yeah, It's gonna be brutal but at least I enjoy Biology a lot and Chemistry if i get the right teacher and not the evil one the made me hate Chemistry in Y10 who does A-Lvl Chem

Quick Reply

Latest